Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,165 Posts
Discussion
What is this WWII German fighter?

Here is a video of WWII boneyards. At 1:26 there is a fighter resting on it's nose in the foreground with what looks like a radial engine and is two place. Any idea what it is?

WW2 Boneyards (2 min 46 sec)
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by grover
Joined Dec 2006
441 Posts
may be a Focke-Wulf Fw-190F-8/U1

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germa...-U1/2268660/L/
grover is offline Find More Posts by grover
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:37 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,165 Posts
I think you've nailed it there grover. I've been around since shortly after WWII but never saw that FW model. Looks like a hastily adapted rear seat version.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by LesUyeda
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,037 Posts
My first thought was an 190 with an extended cockpit, perhaps as a trainer.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:53 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,165 Posts
From WIKI....

Trainer versions
Fw 190 S-5 side view, showing the rear cockpit and extended canopy structure.

As the Luftwaffe phased out older aircraft such as the Ju 87 in favour of the Fw 190, many pilots required flight training to make the transition as quick and smooth as possible. Thus was born the Schulflugzeug (literally "school airplane") training version of the Fw 190. Several old Fw 190 A-5s, and later in 1944 A-8s, were converted by replacing the MW 50 tank with a second cockpit. The canopy was modified, replaced with a new three-section unit that opened to the side, similar to the Bf 109, which had its own G-12 two-seat training variant. The rear portion of the fuselage was closed off with sheet metal. Originally designated Fw 190 A-8/U1 (as an Umrüst-Bausatz factory modification), they were later designated Fw 190 S-5 and S-8. An estimated 58 Fw 190 S-5 and S-8 models were converted or built.[60]
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,152 Posts
Egads!! Never saw this video before!! What a waste of aircraft!!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,250 Posts
Yep, you DO have a "two-seater Wulf" in that video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
At 1:26 there is a fighter resting on it's nose in the foreground with what looks like a radial engine and is two place. Any idea what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVxaN3c-aPY
Dear aeronca52:

The PIPE Here...perhaps it's THIS still that I just "screen-capped" from the video that's posted at the bottom of this reply, in its "footer"...

...that looks almost EXACTLY like THIS preserved two-seater Wulf in the RAF's Hendon main museum facility in the UK !!

So far as I can determine, the Hendon museum's two-seater Wulf IS the only original one of those still around anywhere in the 21st century...now that aircraft WOULD be quite a unique warbird to have in a museum's collection!

Hope the photos are a bit helpful...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:44 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,165 Posts
Thanks for the info, Pipe.
It just looks like a really odd piece of machinery.

If you click on grovers link you will see a picture of what I believe is the same airplane, his picture is credited to the same museum. But the markings are different from your picture.
Perhaps it was repainted to portray more authenticity?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by piperjoe
United States, MI, Interlochen
Joined Dec 2009
2,754 Posts
The German plane in question is a Messerschmitt Bf 109G-12 CJ + MG. It was a tandem, two-seat pilot trainer converted from the standard Bf 109G-5 single seat fighter (the prototype). Here are some photos showing the German WWII plane and, also, information on the aircraft design for reference. Green, William, The Warplanes of the Third Reich. New York: Galahad Books, 1970

Soft landings,

Joe

Edit: Wrong plane - please see post #11
piperjoe is online now Find More Posts by piperjoe
Last edited by piperjoe; Feb 22, 2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added Bibliography reference; and Post #11 note
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:27 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,754 Posts
...You know...maybe it's not the same plane after all... Now that I look at the original photo closer I'm thinking Focke-Wulf pilot trainer.

Same idea but different fuselage outline behind the canopy and the nose area. Egg on my face time? I'll keep looking for the answer...

Soft landings,

Joe
Last edited by piperjoe; Feb 22, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,754 Posts
Okay gang, from the same resource book as listed in my above post, here is reference information on the Focke-Wulf tandem 2-seat trainer version of the Fw 190A-8. Aeronca52 was definitely on the correct identification path first with his posting above.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:44 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,165 Posts
Piperjoe,
Thanks for chiming in. Those pics of the Messerschmitt show how desperate Germany must have been with their limited resources. Wonder how many other airplanes had hasty mods made to them to accommodate the war effort?

FWIW I'm building (for the last 2 years) an EasyBuilt model of the ME-109. Maybe I'll modify it to look like the 2 seat version.

How'd you all like that video? Wasn't it sad all those airplanes were destroyed? But I guess in the mindset of the day nobody wanted to be reminded of the war anymore. Were ships, tanks, cannon, trucks, etc. all melted after the war? Anybody know? Or did post-war America just need aircraft aluminum? I remember seeing a magazine article about how dozens and dozens of overseas aircraft were burned up with just ferry time on them.
Last edited by aeronca52; Feb 22, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,607 Posts
The German aircraft and ground armament was destroyed to prevent a future uprising.

It would be nice to have some of those airframes now, but at the time, their destruction was a prudent action.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Last edited by TomCrump; Feb 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
2,016 Posts
Two seat modification of a single seat fighter was quite common, going back at least to S.E.5a of WWI. It allowed trainees to fly the fighter type earlier on with a modicum of probable success.

P-51B/C/D's in England, during WWII also saw a wide assortment of similar mods. Some were rather bizarre. Factory mod became TP-51D (later TF-51D).
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit