Find More Posts by Alexandre Lopes
Thermal Fisherman.
Brazil, São Paulo, São José do Rio Preto
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Build Log
Terminator HLG - Videos: Javelin launch => Thermal Flying

Hello,

This week started building a terminator, and would like to share the building.

In my country, there is little interest in constructions of HLG gliders, for this reason, I am trying to learn English to communicate with the users of Rc Groups.

I have a real fascination for hand launch gliders, and thermal flight, for some time I've been practicing releases javellin and discus.

Some of my flights thermal, can be seen in this channel >> http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexandreBassPlayer

I'll post what do I have so far, and as the construction is progressing update the topic.

All information required for construction of the terminator, see the link below: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...torhlgsite.pdf

Photos by charlesriver rc

For the used pod balsa1 / 8 and the V-tail 3/32.

The fuselage ready and without electronics, was 72 grams, I hope to get in 250g RTF.

I tried using the airfoil Zone-V2-60, but the wing was very thin, would not achieve adequate reinforcement put the covers with tape.

I cut a second wing using the airfoil S4083, this way I can properly reinforced with tape.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Alexandre Lopes is offline Find More Posts by Alexandre Lopes
Last edited by Alexandre Lopes; Nov 20, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by bwill6
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,741 Posts
Ya know, despite the fact that modern DLGs are so advanced compared to older javelin launch gliders like the Terminator, I still kinda want to build something old school. Your project looks like it's coming along well. Best of luck with it!

E cara, seu ingles é muito bom. Onde fica São José do Rio Preto? Morei dois anos em São Paulo e Sorocaba.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Ya know, despite the fact that modern DLGs are so advanced compared to older javelin launch gliders like the Terminator, I still kinda want to build something old school. Your project looks like it's coming along well. Best of luck with it!

E cara, seu ingles é muito bom. Onde fica São José do Rio Preto? Morei dois anos em São Paulo e Sorocaba.
I'ma big fan of old school HLG, long time to find specifications of models Feather XL and Encore to build . These two are my favorites, climbed too high.

Thanks for following the topic, I hope to finish construction in the coming days.

Ainda estou escrevendo com ajuda de tradutor, mas espero conseguir aprender a escrever em inglês.

São José do Rio Preto fica próximo a Catanduva, dá uns 450km de São Paulo, fica bem no interior de mesmo. Para se ter uma ideia, não existe planadoristas na região, apenas eu e outra pessoa.
Last edited by Alexandre Lopes; Nov 15, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by glidermang
Joined Jan 2008
5,028 Posts
Alexandre:

Takes me back. I sure built my share of Terminators. Five, altogether.

I could no more throw one today than I could jump to the moon.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Alexandre:

Takes me back. I sure built my share of Terminators. Five, altogether.

I could no more throw one today than I could jump to the moon.

Yours, Greg
Greg, your visit will be of great help.

Having built several terminator, what the ideal weight to get a good launch javellin?

The standard boom is 19 ", you got to build some 16" (short boom)?

Today you could fly the Eagle class.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
5,028 Posts
Alexandre:

The ideal weight for a javelin launch is.... as light as possible!

I built Terminators (5), Chrysalis (7!), Leafs (2), one Monarch, one Sunbird (the heaviest ever built) and one Viltius. The Viltius (maybe about 9 ounces) was a composite design briefly offered by NESail, now defunct. It lasted the longest and I still have the fuselage. The Leafs were the lightest (pod-and-boom, unique built-up wing fabricated from balsa and thin, carbon spars) but too light to survive long. They flew the best.

No kidding at all, though: build as light as possible for best performance.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:09 AM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Alexandre:

The ideal weight for a javelin launch is.... as light as possible!

I built Terminators (5), Chrysalis (7!), Leafs (2), one Monarch, one Sunbird (the heaviest ever built) and one Viltius. The Viltius (maybe about 9 ounces) was a composite design briefly offered by NESail, now defunct. It lasted the longest and I still have the fuselage. The Leafs were the lightest (pod-and-boom, unique built-up wing fabricated from balsa and thin, carbon spars) but too light to survive long. They flew the best.

No kidding at all, though: build as light as possible for best performance.

Yours, Greg
Thanks for the feedback, I will take the utmost care to complete construction in 250g rtf. (9oz)

I've read a lot about the Monarch, a glider is very good and beautiful lines.

It is very good to talk, with someone who has lived the pure HLG. In the javelin launch, everything is very fast, has to drop the bubble to rise. If you can not read thermal, you make the turn, bring in hand and toss again.

Leveraging his experience, what better way to have good support at launch?

- Making a hole at the bottom of the fuselage, behind the CG?

- Installing a horizontal pin peg in the fuselage, forward of the CG?

If you can help me, thank you.

A.L
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Continuing to build ...

I glued the ribs on the wing, and cover with tape, now need to install the electronics.

The glider is weighing 197g, I believe it will stay in 250g, with the cg in place, and ready to fly.

My Hlg's

Terminator almost ready.

Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
5,028 Posts
Alexandre:

For the Terminator, I built the pod with a bit of a flat portion at the end of the pod. I pushed the airplane away with my index finger. The trick for me was to develop a long, accelerating throw, and maintain contact with the airplane for as long as possible.

Also, for javelin launch, be sure to warm up before throwing seriously. Move your arm around, get lots of motion in the shoulder. You can hurt yourself - which is another reason I really like DLG.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:46 AM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Alexandre:

For the Terminator, I built the pod with a bit of a flat portion at the end of the pod. I pushed the airplane away with my index finger. The trick for me was to develop a long, accelerating throw, and maintain contact with the airplane for as long as possible.

Also, for javelin launch, be sure to warm up before throwing seriously. Move your arm around, get lots of motion in the shoulder. You can hurt yourself - which is another reason I really like DLG.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
Grerg,

Thank you, one more time.

I'll install a pin peg hoorizontal the fuselage, behind the CG, will support for the fingers, index and middle. This way you extra support with your thumb and ring finger.

I'll do the heating, not to injure their arms or shoulders, really javellin releases can be very dangerous. I have seen it.

I liked the tip about speed and keep up as long as possible with the glider, try this.

Later, beginning the installation of electronics.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2008
5,028 Posts
I can see I didn't fully answer your question about throwing.

I came to prefer the flat spot at the back of the pod, but several of my various airplanes had horizontal pegs through the fuselage. Those designed by DJ Aerotek (Chrysalis and Monarch) had the peg near or perhaps slightly forward of the CG. The Viltius had it slightly aft. Both worked fine. Pegs were sometimes a flat piece of spruce (which could be airfoil shaped to reduce weight and drag), sometimes a light piece of carbon tube. A popsicle stick (if you have those in your country) would work fine. The total load is actually quite small. Just make sure that it is secure to the structure.

An alternative is a hole in the bottom - insert your index finger and push.

The goal is always the same: don't use force, instead concentrate on acceleration. Keep contact as long as possible.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,301 Posts
That's nice that you are building and flying your own glider's. A couple week's ago after a contest I bought one of Doug Montgomery's Orion DLG's and it's the best overall DLG I've ever had. Doug is one of the few people I know that compete's with his own design. I like to build as well and my CR Climaxx that I scratch built from plan's has a S-4083 airfoil and is a great flyer both at the field and the slope and I love the full flying rudder. I'm very glad Chip Greley has bought the right's to manufacture the CR line of glider's. I used to fly a Maple Leaf Encore and I have the complete book of instruction's. It's sad that it is no longer manufactured. And mine is no longer flyable. I like the Orion so much I may have to buy Doug's 8.5oz one as well. Next week he should be getting his CNC mold's for his one piece pod and boom, can't wait to see the first example. Dave
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by bwill6
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,741 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a 3mm dowel will have lower drag than a hole large enough for your finger. I guess both have been done successfully, though, so do whatever is more comfortable to you.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
I can see I didn't fully answer your question about throwing.

I came to prefer the flat spot at the back of the pod, but several of my various airplanes had horizontal pegs through the fuselage. Those designed by DJ Aerotek (Chrysalis and Monarch) had the peg near or perhaps slightly forward of the CG. The Viltius had it slightly aft. Both worked fine. Pegs were sometimes a flat piece of spruce (which could be airfoil shaped to reduce weight and drag), sometimes a light piece of carbon tube. A popsicle stick (if you have those in your country) would work fine. The total load is actually quite small. Just make sure that it is secure to the structure.

An alternative is a hole in the bottom - insert your index finger and push.

The goal is always the same: don't use force, instead concentrate on acceleration. Keep contact as long as possible.

Yours, Greg
Greg,

I got a lesson on HLG. I'm owe you a beer.

In ihlg dvd 2000, noticed some models with pin peg in front of the CG.

I'll trying to find the best location for my ergonomics. But I will follow your tip and put a pin lightweight carbon.

Finalized the glider in the late afternoon and went to do a field test. I thought the 4 inch tips, just for a polyhedral wing. I tried to turn tight and saw that it would not succeed.

I had two small field, the surface of the v-tail (elevator / rudder) broke on one of the landings, sanded too, were fragile and ended up flying with surfaces of different sizes. Problems easily solved at home.

The wing lacked reinforcements, after heating, a release made ​​stronger, and due to compression fatigue had a little to one side.

Will I be able to fly tomorrow to repair with more time, and in the open, today was flying behind a bush surrounded, and no chances of detecting any bubbles.

Let's see if I record a video tomorrow better, preferably with thermal flight.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
That's nice that you are building and flying your own glider's. A couple week's ago after a contest I bought one of Doug Montgomery's Orion DLG's and it's the best overall DLG I've ever had. Doug is one of the few people I know that compete's with his own design. I like to build as well and my CR Climaxx that I scratch built from plan's has a S-4083 airfoil and is a great flyer both at the field and the slope and I love the full flying rudder. I'm very glad Chip Greley has bought the right's to manufacture the CR line of glider's. I used to fly a Maple Leaf Encore and I have the complete book of instruction's. It's sad that it is no longer manufactured. And mine is no longer flyable. I like the Orion so much I may have to buy Doug's 8.5oz one as well. Next week he should be getting his CNC mold's for his one piece pod and boom, can't wait to see the first example. Dave
Hello Doug,

I always liked to build my own planes, satisfaction duty flying something you built is too large.

Projects of Doug Montgomery, are very good, very simple and functional, directly or indirectly, influenced many people in Brazil, with its dlg's kfm.

Good luck with your new aircraft, if you have a topic so I can follow the assembly, send me.

These days I got one. Pdf on the various versions of Maple Leaf Encore, do not know if this article, I think you'll like. It's inspiring.

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/red/RCSDEncorePearson.pdf

If you know where I can find specifications Feather XL, let me know. I would like to build a clone or something very similar.