Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 23, 2014, 04:50 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
It's good news week........I got the job so the B-29 build will be continuing very very soon
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2014, 06:50 AM
Registered User
Ducky22's Avatar
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
375 Posts
Congrats, looking forward to more updates
Ducky22 is offline Find More Posts by Ducky22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:06 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
demondriver's Avatar
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,363 Posts
Congrats indeed Old'boy!

Looking forward for more!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:01 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
Thanks guys

As an announcment to this news a long time has been taken to deciding the actual aircraft I will be modelling and can now tell you that I am going to be doing Boeing B-29 Superfortress 'Atomic Tom'
USAAF 19th BG, 30th BS, Kadena AFB, Japan, June 1950

RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:47 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
As those of you following this thread may recall, I had an issue with the fuselage nose section being twisted slightly making the nose out of line by about 3/8 inch. The strength of the construction as it is means I cannot twist it back so I have no alternative but to cut the nose off right behind the third former. I will then make a duplicate #3 former and plug it into the other section of the fuselage with epoxy and then mix up some 5 minute epoxy and glue the nose back on in line with the rest of the fuselage. I'm then gonna cut away the outer skin an inch from the join on both sides and put 1/8 balsa infills between each and every other gap in the stringers and again on the other side of the join do the same but in the opposite position of the first side so when its all done it will look kinda like a checker board......following me so far? lol

Then when this is all sanded and flush I'm going to make a 2 inch wide cross grain balsa band and epoxy it into place wrapping it around where I cut the skin away and then sanding it all flush once dry. Hopefully it will be strong enough to withstand the impact of landings without the nose breaking off every time I land but we will see
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:52 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
demondriver's Avatar
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheBomb View Post
As those of you following this thread may recall, I had an issue with the fuselage nose section being twisted slightly making the nose out of line by about 3/8 inch. The strength of the construction as it is means I cannot twist it back so I have no alternative but to cut the nose off right behind the third former. I will then make a duplicate #3 former and plug it into the other section of the fuselage with epoxy and then mix up some 5 minute epoxy and glue the nose back on in line with the rest of the fuselage. I'm then gonna cut away the outer skin an inch from the join on both sides and put 1/8 balsa infills between each and every other gap in the stringers and again on the other side of the join do the same but in the opposite position of the first side so when its all done it will look kinda like a checker board......following me so far? lol

Then when this is all sanded and flush I'm going to make a 2 inch wide cross grain balsa band and epoxy it into place wrapping it around where I cut the skin away and then sanding it all flush once dry. Hopefully it will be strong enough to withstand the impact of landings without the nose breaking off every time I land but we will see
Sounds like a good modification method for your 29's fuse.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:22 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Sounds like a good modification method for your 29's fuse.
I'm hoping so. In theory its sounds strong enough and provided I use liberal amounts of epoxy to form a good strong bond it should work. Its just a pain having to cut apart what is a perfectly good looking fuselage and only if I noticed it before I started to skin her then maybe I wouldn't have to do all this, but hey ho, its what this past time is all about, dealing with challenging situations.

I'm also seriously thinking about going back down the road of conventional built up structures for the wings instead of foam cores like I planned but we will see when the time comes. I have a couple of other big projects I'm eager to start but not until at least the airframe is complete on the 29
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Last edited by RobTheBomb; Feb 24, 2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:55 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
greenseaships's Avatar
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheBomb View Post
Thanks guys

As an announcment to this news a long time has been taken to deciding the actual aircraft I will be modelling and can now tell you that I am going to be doing Boeing B-29 Superfortress 'Atomic Tom'
USAAF 19th BG, 30th BS, Kadena AFB, Japan, June 1950

Here is a good vid on some Korean War B-29 action. Also a tour of B-29 nose art from the war, including Atomic Tom.

B-29s Over North Korea plus Colorful B-29 Nose Art (21 min 22 sec)
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:19 PM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
Ok so the B-29 build is back under way after a period of time out due to lack of employment. The servo's Y leads and extension leads have finally arrived after a three month wait from the joke that is Hobbyking which means now I can start the process of attaching the tail surfaces and plugging in the servos and leads.
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:50 PM
Balsa&Tissue
payne9999's Avatar
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheBomb View Post
Ok so the B-29 build is back under way after a period of time out due to lack of employment. The servo's Y leads and extension leads have finally arrived after a three month wait from the joke that is Hobbyking which means now I can start the process of attaching the tail surfaces and plugging in the servos and leads.
Hansen hobbies ships internationally and they are prompt. They stock the crimpers, terminals, connector housings and servo wire. I have been making my own "Y" leads and extensions for a couple years now. It is more economical and you can make them exactly the length you need.

Their crimper will also crimp the special JST battery and UBEC connectors that are typically used on smaller batteries such as 1300mah and smaller.

Maybe you have a supplier in your area that stocks similar parts. However, if you made a bulk order from Hansen I am sure it would still cost less in the long run and you could make you own custom leads whenever you need them.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/









Crimping a Servo Connector - Futaba J Housing with Deluxe Crimper (3 min 39 sec)
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:01 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
greenseaships's Avatar
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheBomb View Post
the joke that is Hobbyking.
GREAT news, Rob! But don't let that happen again! For servos and extension wires, I highly recommend RCHotdeals,com! They always get it out fast!
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:02 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
We have a company over here called Giant Shark that are an internet based R/C supplier. They are also really fast. I ordered a 6 channel radio set on a Friday morning and I got it the next day! Trust me I'm never gonna let it happen again dont worry. I will never order a thing from Hobbyking again. They are a joke!
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:38 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,431 Posts
From my point of view, I wouldn't go as far as saying HK are a joke - generally everything I have bought has been well worth the money I've paid for it. But there is definitely a way to ensure that their modus operandi doesn't inconvenience you too much. I have a fairly strict set of rules that I work to when ordering from Anthony Hand and his merry boys and girls in the HK 'International Warehouse'......

NB: The following should not apply to ordering from the UK warehouse.

a) Remember its super cheap. But I've found the quality to be generally better than the price would have you believe.
b) Never order anything that is showing zero stock otherwise you could wait months for the whole order
c) Never order anything that you want by a certain date - if you need anything quickly, go to GiantShark. My HobbyKing deliveries have normally taken 2-3 weeks (though my record is six days).
d) If you order Lipos, be prepared to wait longer for the whole order because they (used to) go SwissPost which was slower - the carrier may be different now, but Lipos still go by a slower service, as I think that Hong Kong post have severe limits on Lipo carriage.
e) When you get your gear, if it all works fine, then that should put a smile on your face.
f) Never order any single item of large enough value that you would be devastated if it was damaged or didn't work. Hence I would personally not place a $250 order for a foam model due to the risk of damage or problem.
g) Don't even think about sending anything back; the returns procedure is crap - but following a) - f) will generally mean that any financial hit is minimal.

I have spent about $600 over 22 orders and have found that the above works for me!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:07 AM
Registered User
RobTheBomb's Avatar
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
So here we go again

Although not a lot has been done due to working I thought I would continue on with the progress reports all the same. I have been working mainly on the tail of the bomber and now I have got the leads and servo's I needed have now epoxied the tailplane and fin into place.





The tail gunner section has also been built up and is now ready to have the windows cut out. The small peach thing at the back on top isn't a biscuit but the plug I am making for the gun turrets Everything all lines up perfectly now too









More to follow soon
RobTheBomb is offline Find More Posts by RobTheBomb
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:00 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
demondriver's Avatar
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,363 Posts
Simply Awesome Progress Rob! Your B-29's stabilizer and tail section looks Amazing!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Don Smith B-29 Superfortress , 169" " Full Kit " alfajet Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Nov 01, 2013 09:18 AM
Discussion Air Warrior B-29 Superfortress. Need opinions Starguard Electric Warbirds 43 Sep 19, 2009 01:22 AM
B-29 superfortress parkflyer ksavage68 Parkflyers 109 Dec 30, 2006 08:58 PM
Off Site eBay: Guillows b-29 Superfortress ShaverR6 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 16, 2006 09:12 AM
WANTED: Guillows B-29 Superfortress plans,(or equivilent) Demon-Leather Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 22, 2002 11:32 PM