I think I just stalled it. Yes???

C 47 crash (0 min 36 sec)
rrustic is offline Find More Posts by rrustic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
Could be a stall. Have you flown much R/C?
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, MA, Ludlow
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
Been flying for about 4 years now.
Nothing this large. It has an 8 ft wing span and AUW is 9.5 lbs.
I think I let off the throttle a bit and the angle of attack was to high.
I was a bit nervous.
I did have up elevator during takeoff but I do not think I relieved it once it was airborne.
I think I screwed up...
Can anybody tell????
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,058 Posts
Looked like a definite stall to me. I didn't think the runway you had in front of you was going to be enough and then you used only a fraction of that. I think the rear wheel popped up allowing the aircraft to turn to the right on the runway during takeoff. That left you the choice of taking off too soon without sufficient speed or running it into the grass. That's my diagnosis.

Sorry to see the crash. The patient may be repairable.
RCvertt is online now Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:17 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
I would agree, it sounded like it didn't get full power and stalled out. If I could suggest anything (not that you need advice from me) I would point out that sometimes its best to abort a takeoff and line it back up than to force a takeoff. When she turned to the right you lost all your options for where to put it down if there was a problem. It also forced you to try and gain altitude quickly and I think that's what put you into your situation. I mention this as a nervous flyer myself, not as any kind of expert. I've done the same thing as the video. Now I make sure that on a maiden I abort the instant something is even slightly less than ideal. Hope she isn't busted up too bad, what an awesome looking bird.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:10 AM
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
Here is a better pic so you can see the size of the plane. I am 6 ft tall.
The plane is made primarily from fan fold foam and a bit of balsa and ply for reinforcement.
The other is how she laid after the crash.
A few hours of work and a few pounds of hot melt and she is just about back together. She is a bit scarred but looks good to me.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,058 Posts
She's a beaut. A few test taxi runs to make sure she tracks straight and she'll do just fine. Does she have a build thread?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:38 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
Hi rrustic
You do not mention what size engine/motor you have, or the prop. You probably do not have the extra power most R/C planes have, and use to get out of trouble. On your next flight, keep it going straight longer on the take off, or immediately abort. Aborting is one of the things we do not learn much about. Let it get off the ground with very little up elevator on your part. I love the C-47. In Japan in 1955/56 I parachuted from that plane many times, once landing in the ocean. Many great memories.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
Build thread

RCvertt

I did start a build log. There seemed to be no interest, so I stopped.
Later on I looked at the thread and found a few questions.
I was done with the build so I posted some final pics.
Here is the link for what it is worth.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805777
Last edited by rrustic; Oct 22, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,058 Posts
Maybe the crash was meant to be so you could continue the build log with the repairs. It'll be good to see it back in the air. looks like a great build.

rrustic- Be hard pressed to get me in one of those let alone jump out.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:49 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
A gyro on the rudder of twins is a good way to avoid such sideways takeoffs, especially on one this size. On fuel powered twins it might just give you that second to react to save the plane should a fan stop turning in a precarious situation.

Good looking plane, sorry to see it damaged.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Oct 23, 2013, 09:11 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,256 Posts
I know you were upset, but you might want to be a little bit more gentle when you lay your radio down. You can hear it.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:49 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
Hi rrustic
I noticed on one of your pictures that you are using plastic clevises to connect to the rudder. I lost a large Sig plane many years ago when the plastic clevis on the elevator opened up while the plane was very high and pointing straight down. I decided then and there to never use those plastic clevises again. On large planes I only use metal clevises, the type that has a lock on it. On very light planes I may use a plastic clevis, but I ALWAYS tie dental floss around it to keep it closed, and tie it to something so the floss will stay in place. Others place a short piece of fuel tubing on the plastic clevis to keep it closed. I consider that a false hope. I see split hose ends all the time. They simply assume the hose will not split at the wrong time; which equals a false hope.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
Equipment included:
Master airscrew 3 blade 11X 7
2 HURC 60 amp ESC
Standard Hitec servos (4 RET 2A)
BL 2820 motors from Headsuprc
Battery 4 cell 5000mAh (Turnigy)

Static motor test with a watt meter indicated 525 Watts (one motor) drawing about 45 amps. That would be 1050 watts which is plenty for a 9.5 pound plane. At full throttle, it drew 55 amps and over 600 watts. Motor is only rated for about 50 amps so I would stay away from full throttle (maybe burst only).

In reading more on the speed control, the throttle is set when initially plugging in the battery. I believe with 2 ESC attached to one battery only one motor was properly set to the full throttle range of my transmitter. With the plane basically back together, I connected the ESCs separately and the plane, at least across my basement floor, tracks pretty straight. If the bloody wind stops, I will conduct taxi tests on my driveway.

Hopefully in a week or two, after some balancing, I can get her in the air and show you guys how great she flies.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 07:20 AM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
France, Centre, Romorantin-Lanthenay
Joined Oct 2013
742 Posts
Hi, Your maiden flight give me 2 question:

-Why did she turn right all time? Two engines are working well and in the good way?

-Did you check CG before flight? Seems to be a bit too mutch Backway...and that way, hard to stay in line...

Maybe a Hand shoot on a soft floor would be nice to check.
ttersu is offline Find More Posts by ttersu
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My builds