Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Build Log
Slow Stick Not: Pylon & Pattern Slow Stick

Have you mastered the Slow Stick?
Do you have an old Slow Stick collecting dust?
Want to go fast and have a fully aerobatic, inexpensive flying machine?
Want to amaze the guys/gals at the field?

Try a Slow Stick Not

The Slow Stick Not came about by accident. The Menifee Valley Flyers held a pylon contest with a category for Unlimited Slow Sticks. This really sounded fun. The plane had to be a Slow Stick but could be powered in any way you desired.

I first settled on a power setup that provides a lot of speed/thrust and is inexpensive. The next step was to work the aerodynamic issues. At higher speeds the Slow Stick porpoises, so the incidence was removed from the wing. I then developed extreme wing flutter. What I discovered was that the cavity on the bottom side of the wing, or under camber, was causing flow cavitations at high speeds. I sealed the cavity with 3mm Depron, which smoothed the flow and provided a great amount of torsional rigidity. Next, the tail surfaces began to flutter so I added carbon strip to the horizontal and vertical stab.

Now I had a high speed demon that visually looked like a standard Slow Stick (but with a different, innocent looking motor).

What I did not expect were the aerobatic capabilities of this platform. It is as comfortable inverted as right side up. It does beautiful uplines and downlines. It does fine axial rolls as well as inside and outside loops. It performs the Basic and Sportsman IMAC pattern very well. I even won a local club pattern contest with this Stick.

Dust that old Slow Stick off and give this a try. You will not regret it nor ever be bored by this Slow Stick.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Bill of Materials

Materials:

Local Hobby Store

Slow Stick NPS Kit $25
1/8 inch ply- 5 layer
3mm Depron
Carbon Fiber Strip .024x.121x20 $5
APC 7 x 4E Propeller $3

Hobby King

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor $9
4 HXT900 Servos $12
Turnigy Plush 40 amp ESC $20
Turnigy 3S 2200mah 20C Battery $9

Target Hobby

Spectrum DSM2 AR6100E Rcvr $4
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Wing Modifications

I build the wing per the kit but add the ailerons and cavity inserts to the wing bottom. The inserts are from 3mm Depron and are 8 7/8 inches by 21 inches. A 1/4 inch wood shim, 3/8 inch wide, is glued to the underside of the wing's trailing edge to remove the wing incidence.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Horizontal tail

The horizontal tail is built per the kit adding the carbon strip along the leading edge. This carbon strip is glued to the stab and the whole stab is glued to the body with foam safe CA. Put plenty of glue between the body and carbon strip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Vertical tail

The vertical tail is built per the kit plus a carbon strip is glued to the vertical tail ahead of the rudder. The tail is glued to the side of the body with foam safe CA and glue is used to attach the end of the strip to the body. I modified the provided tail wheel to provide steering. 1/8 inch carbon tube scrap was used for the tail wheel guide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Motor Mount and Battery Support Plate

Both are fashioned form 1/8 inch ply. I drill a 3/8" hole in the center of the motor mount and use a square file to fashion a square hole to fit snug around the fuselage body. I glue the motor mount to the body with slow dry epoxy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Electronics layout / setup

The photo shows the electronics layout. I attach the ESC and receiver to the body with double sided foam tape and then wrap with electrical tape. The CG should be 3 3/4 inches from the leading edge. The motor should have no side or down thrust.

For pattern work you will want to do a little mixing:

I have a DX8 transmitter and the clone $4 six channel receiver. I setup the transmitter for dual ailerons and plug one aileron servo into the aileron port and the other to aux1. This also allows the ailerons to be used as flaps.

My aileron differential is set at 7 percent

I have a rudder to elevator mix of 20 percent (Left or right rudder moves the elevator down at 20%)

I have rudder to right aileron (RAL) set at 40 percent (right or left rudder provides 40% opposite aileron)

For spins and snaps, I found that 50% negative flap is required. I programed this on my flap switch and 10% elevator to trim the flap pitch effect.

Have fun and go fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:45 PM
N Cal
Joined Jun 2003
236 Posts
Thanks for the nice explanation. I want to try this. Now what do we have to do to see some video?
winghead is offline Find More Posts by winghead
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winghead View Post
Thanks for the nice explanation. I want to try this. Now what do we have to do to see some video?
Hopefully soon. Have to get my ground crew together. Been busy with Flyguys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:29 PM
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
474 Posts
Here's a photo I took after one of SEFSD's EMAC contests last summer. Otto took first place in EMAC Basic Pattern with his Slow Stick Not.
Wild Bill is offline Find More Posts by Wild Bill
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:49 PM
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
474 Posts
The above photo is what inspired me to build the SSN. Building is straight forward as Otto said. I probably should have put more depron under the servo as mine has just a smidgen of undercamber. Still flies good. For me it's challenging to try to make it do the basic pattern. Heck, I can't even do the pattern with a pattern plane but it's still fun to try and fly different planes.

I only have a 200 watt motor, I think Otto has 300 +, I think that's the only difference.

Oh, you know that screw the instructions said to put into the landing gear, the photo shows what happens after a few landings if you didn't. You can see the divot right in front of the motor. Nothing hurt except my pride.
Wild Bill is offline Find More Posts by Wild Bill
Last edited by Wild Bill; Jul 05, 2014 at 09:55 PM.