HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:18 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
I have flown all last season with this setup with the exception of the ESC. It had maybe a dozen flights.
I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but you say you did well last season, replaced one component, and the problem occurred. I'd suspect that one changed-out component - the ESC.

But before I replaced it I'd do some tethered ground tests to see if I could repeat the failure. Run it up to full throttle and work all the servos and see if you glitch; or if the ESC kicks out from heat. One thing I have heard from several Tidewater owners is that the ECS gets very hot. Mine gets warm but I'm light on the throttle most times.

I'm relatively new to electric flight but I have flown for years beside another pilot who has been exclusively electric flight the past eight or 10 years and he regularly fries ESCs. Another pilot/friend is also exclusively electric and he never seems to have any problems whatsoever.

Gorilla Glue (the regular foaming wood glue) works. I added a bit of triangle stock behind the battery to prevent it shifting from a plop-and-go pass and to make it easy to position.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:27 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2014
39 Posts
Could you here the motor as it was water darting? If so you stalled it.
Kawie636 is offline Find More Posts by Kawie636
Old Jul 07, 2014, 08:53 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
669 Posts
I replaced the original esc because it was getting too hot. I went with a 40 amp hobbywing which ran alot cooler than the original. I don't think it stalled,it just seemed to lose all power. I do have another esc so I may just change it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie P (NY) View Post
I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but you say you did well last season, replaced one component, and the problem occurred. I'd suspect that one changed-out component - the ESC.

But before I replaced it I'd do some tethered ground tests to see if I could repeat the failure. Run it up to full throttle and work all the servos and see if you glitch; or if the ESC kicks out from heat. One thing I have heard from several Tidewater owners is that the ECS gets very hot. Mine gets warm but I'm light on the throttle most times.

I'm relatively new to electric flight but I have flown for years beside another pilot who has been exclusively electric flight the past eight or 10 years and he regularly fries ESCs. Another pilot/friend is also exclusively electric and he never seems to have any problems whatsoever.

Gorilla Glue (the regular foaming wood glue) works. I added a bit of triangle stock behind the battery to prevent it shifting from a plop-and-go pass and to make it easy to position.
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:52 PM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
111 Posts
Okay, I get that this thing has a fair amount of down force from the pylon mounted motor, but mine seems excessive. I have about 10 degrees of up elevator trim just to hold level flight at about half throttle. Taking off from the water was difficult at best, resulting in 2 aborted take offs as it just would not lift off even though I brought the power in very slowly. I've moved the CG as far back (actually farther back than I would like) as I dare and I still run out of up elevator. I'm using an APC 9 X 4.5 E with an Eflite collet. The motor appears to be centered properly in the pylon and the motor mount is tight ( I had reinforced it with CA). I'm tempted to put some washers under the 2 bottom motor mount tabs to change the thrust line or possibly place a nylon washer under the front of the pylon where the forward bolt goes. Anyone else run into this? I know this plane has a great reputation as a fun flyer and so far, it seems to handle fairly well in the air (once I get it there) except for not having enough up elevator.
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3