HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
307 Posts
Contest
2013 NATS XC - new (ALES) and improved (practice day) !

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Dave Beach and I'll be your 2013 NATS XC contest director.

2013 NATS registration forms are being mailed to prior NATS participants. They are also available online at http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/entryforms.aspx. It is not obvious from the form, but there are some significant changes to the Cross Country event that will take place this year.
  • New for 2013 XC is an ALES class
  • Also new is a practice day on Friday, June 28th

Last year was the first of hopefully many XC soaring competitions at the Monroe Central School complex in Parker City (a few miles east of the AMA site). The course is fun and safe (no tree tunnels and plenty of fields), and I can only hope we are fortunate enough to get great weather conditions like last year.

For all the details and further discussion, see the thread in the Cross Country forum at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781109.

This year you have your choice of soaring events for the first two days of NATS. Hand Launch, Two Meter, or Cross Country. I hope you'll come on out for practice day on Friday even if you'd rather compete with a 'little glider' on Saturday and Sunday.

David
dbeach is online now Find More Posts by dbeach
Last edited by dbeach; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
soarkraut
United States, DE, Ocean View
Joined Nov 2004
137 Posts
So Dave.........what do I need (Besides an airplane) to participate in Cross Country. Vehicles, copilots??
Pete
Soarkraut is online now Find More Posts by Soarkraut
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:22 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarkraut View Post
So Dave.........what do I need (Besides an airplane) to participate in Cross Country. Vehicles, copilots??
Pete
Cross Country is a team event. For equipment you'll need an airplane (2.4 GHz required) and a vehicle. Teams provide their own launch equipment when possible and are encouraged to share. Indiana allows adults to sit in the back of a pickup (bean bag highly recommended), or convertibles are nice. Teams are typically at least three people who can swap roles between pilot, spotter(s), and driver. Pilots working on LSF XC tasks must be the only flyer and have appropriate witnesses.

Each team’s best single flight per day will be scored on a prorated basis in comparison to the team travelling the longest distance. Overall standings will be determined by the sum of the scores from each day.

As far as I'm concerned, it is about a much fun as you can have flying a model glider. I know the Eastern Soaring League will have at least one team, hopefully more.

David
dbeach is online now Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:16 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
I did the LSF task attempt last year and this is a really great course and setup. Not sure if I can make it out again this year but I hope to.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke