Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:26 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTodd View Post
I lost two 40 size planes w/ i/c power using the 6chan. DSM2 receivers and never figured out why. I ordered a couple DSMX w/ sats to try out.
So im wondering if they are suitable for i/c planes.
I suspect the main issue is vibration and not having a satellite as Daedalus has posted above.
The early weak aerials could be a vibration weak spot.

The old school practice of wrapping the receiver in foam should be followed. Mounting any Rx directly to the fus of an ic plane is not a good idea.
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:33 AM
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Aug 2011
508 Posts
i fly a .53-powered Yak with Futaba S3152 digital servos all round (except throttle, which utilises an S3003), a 6V NiMH flight pack and a Lemon 8-channel + satellite. No problems at all. I did read up on the servo specifications beforehand to make sure they didn't overload the receiver. I also blobbed some hotmelt glue on the antenna attachment points (antenna base to airframe point below it).

I'm mid-build on a .91 FS P40 Warhawk, into which I'll be installing the same Lemon RX+Sat combo. Standard servos all round here, but I'll be a little more cautious with the four-stroke as vibrations do tend to be a bit higher (from what I understand, anyhow).
ukbren is online now Find More Posts by ukbren
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:08 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,674 Posts
Lemons are so cheap, why not just use multiple receivers to split the loads. You can bind as many DSM2 receivers to a model memory as you need.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:27 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTodd View Post
I lost two 40 size planes w/ i/c power using the 6chan. DSM2 receivers and never figured out why. I ordered a couple DSMX w/ sats to try out.
So im wondering if they are suitable for i/c planes.
Check your mounting first. Make sure the antenna has clear line of sight with your transmitter antenna from all angles if possible (if not you may need a satellite receiver to cover that spot, while with other companies you just use your extended whisker antenna and place that in a better spot, that's why IMHO extended antennas are more flexible in their installation versus a satellite receiver, its cheaper and simpler). Also if possible the antennas on the airplane and transmitter should be vertically polarized (running up and down) to get the most range.

It could also be your noise floor issue (DSM2 had a few holes in it), do a range check before you fly and see if it passes, there could be a lot of 2.4ghz users around your area.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:37 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,965 Posts
One of the things that may merit more discussion, is the fact that most extended antennas have a fair amount of loss at 2.4. I've heard numbers as high as 3db.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM