Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:25 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Build Log
PLD-MCC1: mAh fuel gauge for up to 30V 30A with LCD

The PLD-MCC1 is an extension from the PLD-SCC1 with one major difference, it's designed to handle much higher voltages and current levels.

Moving to the higher voltage was the biggest hurdle, as the mAh counter chip is only rated for 8.5V maximum.

The prototype PCBs were sent off for production today... probably 3 weeks away at least. Hoping that everything gets back before the Christmas slowdown starts to kick in.

Paul.
PLD is online now Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:55 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
PCBs for the MCC1 have been shipped out - will be a couple of weeks before they arrive (standard post).
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:29 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,533 Posts
Is there any chance you can build a 60 to 75 amp unit? I use a max 4S battery but have a couple of planes pulling 50 to 60 amps. I'm certain I'm not alone in this power range.

It would sure be nice to be able to verify what my charger thinks was taken out of a battery. I'm very impressed with what I've seen of your product line.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:35 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Glen,

If the MCC1 boards work out how I want them to, then it's a moderately simple process to move to 50~100A. The hardest bit then becomes handling the cabling on the boards (what gauge are you using? 4AWG ?). The minimum resolution of the unit also does of course increase as well, but it's still fairly fine (for 100A it would be every ~10mAh consumed).
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:42 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,533 Posts
The biggest gage wire I use is 10. But that is an exception, mostly it's 12 or 14. For what it's worth I am a Deans plug user.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:57 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
10AWG is certainly still a hefty chunk of wire. The problem arises with trying to bond that to the PCB without risking the copper being pulled off. What I think I might do is actually move the whole sensor element into a separate module, much like they do with things like the hyperion emeter and such. Then the only thing coming to the LCD module is some light 24AWG leads (4 required).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Circuit boards just arrived for the MCC1. Now I have to wait a few days or a week before I have the the extra parts required to test it out.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:06 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
The crucial part arrived today - so I was able to start development a little sooner than anticipated.

I was surprised I must admit that my "method" worked, so now I can embark on the process of actually making this unit do the job.

Tonight I'll need to make up a 0.002 ohm shunt which will give me up to 25A flow normal and 50A if needed for peaks.

Next step... making a high voltage high current battery pack rig to properly test it!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
The proper current-sense shunts arrived today - fits very nicely on the board. I now have to wait for the right sized wire to arrive. Heaviest I have at the moment is 16AWG which is okay for most situations but might not be considered heavy enough for 40A peaks.