New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by RaisedByWolves
United States, PA, Newtown
Joined Jul 2015
13 Posts
Discussion
Just when I thought I was out....They drag me back in.

Hello there Micro copter people!!!

Man how things have changed in the R/C world. I have been a diehard RC fan for over 3 decades and I just cant believe how cheap this hobby has become and how good the new models are.

I started with trucks (Blackfoot, Clod buster) then progressed to Losi racing trucks and did OK racing, but like everything else, times change and youre intrests shift, so I got into planes.

Then I discovered Helicopters and I was doomed, I had the sickness BAD. I got out of planes and Helis due to the cost of crashes, and the necessity of having a huge field to practice crashing my 60 Schluter.

I say practice crashing because if you get really good you can crash rather gracefully and only ruin a set of blades. Wooden blades that you had to weigh and shrink wrap yourself.

Yeah, helis back then were kits, with real wood and screws and stuff.

A couple years ago I first saw these mini helis and while they lookd fun, there was the cost issue again.

Then I found a thread here on the V911 and Im hooked.

I bought the Lightning Bird model and it is awesome! I cant believe that for $40 odd dollars you get something this good. I have owned 3 different gas helis and find it hard to believe that you get something this good right out of the box. I tried coaxials before and they just weren't that good and my prior knowledge of heli controls was messing with my head.

I owned a kalt 20, which would shake itself apart until the clutch springs broke. Had a 40 size that disintegrated when I found a tree limb, this was pre internet so parts were $$$ and hard to get. And a Schluter 60 that I actually got a couple feet off the ground before chickening out (Didnt want to wreck it ) and sold it for 4x what I had into it. Not only that, but I was pretty sure I was going to kill myself, death by 5' rotor.

Spending hours building (Thousands of parts) and tweaking, learning why it was doing stupid stuff (Ball links too tight) patiently fitting balls to their individual links, balancing and weighing blades, etc.

So I understand the flight basics and was easily able to solo this little thing with only 15 min of practice. Most of that time was spent trimming it out and getting my bearings with its performance characteristics. I was making the mistake of trying to gently hover at floor level and the trims were all over the place.

Yesterday with the help of my cat JAXX (trying to snatch it) I actually flew it (or he was going to eat it)and got it trimmed out pretty well, indoors in a small space.

So my questions are:

Do the trims change from a full batt to a discharged one?

And what are the highest MAH batteries these will take?

And when I change the batteries, do I have to re initiate it or can I just swap them leaving the transmitter on?

Any help greatly appreciated.
RaisedByWolves is offline Find More Posts by RaisedByWolves
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,656 Posts
Hi and welcome to RCG.

I remember Kalt and Schluter. Most people here probably don't. There also was Hirobo, and then Kyosho finally came out with an electric version of the Concept, which wasn't well received due to battery life. These days electric has opened up the hobby to people who are not willing to tinker with nitro engines. As much as I want a nitro heli, I just don't want to fiddle with the engine so I'll stick with electric. Yes, prices have come down. Back then the entry price point was about $1,200 by the time you bought a decent computer radio, the heli, engine, gyro, and field support equipment. These days you can build a Tarot 450 FBL like mine for just under $300 plus another $150 or so for a TX. That brings entry level down to $500 or so, less than half of what it was back then.

Batteries: I always flew with these: v911 batteries. They are heavier and may cause you to drift backwards. If so, adjust the linkages on the swash plate to get it hovering without drift again.

As a v911 battery discharges, the tail tends to drift (yaw). Other trims should stay the same.

I don't recall if the v911 TX rebinds automatically after changing heli batteries. There is a whole thread devoted to the v911 and more v911 info than you ever wanted to know in my blog here at RCG, including recommended tweaks and upgrades.

There is a thread for helicopter addicts here. You can not own just one helicopter. You need at least a dozen.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by TooTall
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
Hi and welcome to RCG.

I remember Kalt and Schluter. Most people here probably don't. There also was Hirobo, and then Kyosho finally came out with an electric version of the Concept, which wasn't well received due to battery life. These days electric has opened up the hobby to people who are not willing to tinker with nitro engines. As much as I want a nitro heli, I just don't want to fiddle with the engine so I'll stick with electric. Yes, prices have come down. Back then the entry price point was about $1,200 by the time you bought a decent computer radio, the heli, engine, gyro, and field support equipment. These days you can build a Tarot 450 FBL like mine for just under $300 plus another $150 or so for a TX. That brings entry level down to $500 or so, less than half of what it was back then.

Batteries: I always flew with these: v911 batteries. They are heavier and may cause you to drift backwards. If so, adjust the linkages on the swash plate to get it hovering without drift again.

As a v911 battery discharges, the tail tends to drift (yaw). Other trims should stay the same.

I don't recall if the v911 TX rebinds automatically after changing heli batteries. There is a whole thread devoted to the v911 and more v911 info than you ever wanted to know in my blog here at RCG, including recommended tweaks and upgrades.

There is a thread for helicopter addicts here. You can not own just one helicopter. You need at least a dozen.

-Florida Heli-
There is a thread for helicopter addicts here. You can not own just one helicopter. You need at least a dozen. Just a dozen ? my DX6 has 250 model memory !! ..LMAO
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,036 Posts
All the lettering is coming off my packs. I think it's 200 mah . Gets me 7-8 minutes . Nice little flier.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by RaisedByWolves
United States, PA, Newtown
Joined Jul 2015
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
Hi and welcome to RCG.

-Florida Heli-

Yeah, the new battery technology is incredible. Last time I was in a hobby shop the LIPO's were just coming out and were expensive as all get out.

Heh, if you remember KALT you and I are probably the only two who recognize the Godfather line.

I kind of miss a helicopter disassembling its self at the least provocation. I believe you guys call it the chicken dance......Been there, done that, didnt get a T shirt cause I needed the money for repair parts.

And yes, I will probably have 10 of these lil buggers by christmass if things keep up.

Heck, I already spent more on hop up parts than I did on the whole package.
RaisedByWolves is offline Find More Posts by RaisedByWolves
Old Jul 22, 2015, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,393 Posts
I had Schluter Heli-Baby bout late 70's. Started it but came at bad time in my life. Anyway sold it a few years ago to guy into old helis. Back then a hover was doing good.

Today world of helis have amazing aircraft to say the least. good luck and have fun.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04