New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2015, 05:45 AM
Find More Posts by jrjr
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,985 Posts
I have been just printing the dashes out on decal paper or photo paper. Here's one for a 30% Edge. Simply cut them out with scissor. Will have to try the Cameo next time for cutting.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2015, 06:36 AM
Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
346 Posts
Seems to me the easier way to go for things like an instrument panel is to use printable vinyl then stick it to a matching ply shape after the fact.

You can get deep rich saturated colors and fine detail using the printable vinyl stock I previously posted in this forum. It produces a matte finish but you'll want and need to finish the process with a protective coating anyway which will give it a nice sheen.

This is a case where you take advantage of the silhouette's print and cut feature using its mat. The printable vinyl will be easier to pull away from the mat if you add a sufficient number of well placed weeding lines to assist in its removal.

I've used this method at times to create special elements like windows and windshields, for example, with a profile of a passenger seat and a subtle gradation too. In one case I added the look of metal framing around the windows.

bb
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Apr 05, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Sloping off....
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
Seems to me the easier way to go for things like an instrument panel is to use printable vinyl then stick it to a matching ply shape after the fact.

You can get deep rich saturated colors and fine detail using the printable vinyl stock I previously posted in this forum. It produces a matte finish but you'll want and need to finish the process with a protective coating anyway which will give it a nice sheen.

This is a case where you take advantage of the silhouette's print and cut feature using its mat. The printable vinyl will be easier to pull away from the mat if you add a sufficient number of well placed weeding lines to assist in its removal.

I've used this method at times to create special elements like windows and windshields, for example, with a profile of a passenger seat and a subtle gradation too. In one case I added the look of metal framing around the windows.

bb
I'm not just looking for a way to produce printed 2D photorealistic panels. I can do that with an inkjet printer and a pair of scissors.

In making the 3D instrument panels I make a sandwich of card, or plasticard, lithoplate or play, with acetate sheet and with the dials cut out to give the panel depth, switches and lables are added on top of that. So it isn't a flat panel.

The trouble is that for an accurate panel there are a variety of instrument face sizes, which need to be cut out accurately. That can be done for some materials with sharpened brass tube, of drill bits, if the right size is available. I'd hoped that the Silhoueet would be able to score 1/64th ply to accurately cut out the exact instrument face holes in the right place in the panel.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 05, 2015, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by vulturetec
ʇsol
United States, FL, Bay Lake
Joined Jun 2004
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
II'd hoped that the Silhoueet would be able to score 1/64th ply to accurately cut out the exact instrument face holes in the right place in the panel.
From what I've seen the Cricut Explore can probably handle 1/64" with the deep-cut blade (it can cut thin aluminum and heavier material than the Cameo can).

The major problem with the Explore is the complete and total lack of software. The machine only works through a web-based app. That wouldn't be so bad except their web-based app won't recognize any scaling in the files (SVG only by the way) you import...you can set the size of the object you import but it's a lousy work-around.

It appears to be marketed to people who want to run their machines off of tablets or otherwise think computers are horrible things to have to use. Too bad too because it seems like a reasonably well thought-out cutter otherwise.
vulturetec is offline Find More Posts by vulturetec
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by Nergall
Joined Aug 2009
1,826 Posts
Since someone brought it up, is the current version of the Cameo software OK now? I to have avoided the upgrade based on posts I read here.
Nergall is online now Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
3,083 Posts
I dont consider myself an advanced user... but I have no issues with the update. My use so far has been to import, trace and cut. I have done some layered multi-colored stuff, but nothing real intricate.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:53 PM
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
3,083 Posts
As far as the printable vinyl... I was not too impressed. The gloss from the clear I bought along with the vinyl is more of a semi-gloss. Noticeable next to a true cut graphic. However the Cameo did very well with its print then cut feature with this product.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
As far as the printable vinyl... I was not too impressed. The gloss from the clear I bought along with the vinyl is more of a semi-gloss. Noticeable next to a true cut graphic. However the Cameo did very well with its print then cut feature with this product.
Are you saying the finish gloss of the print vinyl, after applying the protective finish coating, is not as glossy as ordinary cut vinyl? If so, I would not expect it to be.

It takes a mat finish vinyl of a certain kind to absorb ink from an inkjet printer so getting it to a high gloss finish from there would be difficult to accomplish. That said, if your application is to recreate full colored vinyl decals, like for example Stars and Stripes or a photo picture or illustration, for the side of a warbird then this method might not be the best choice. It depends on the look you're shooting for or willing to accept.

Besides the gloss level, what did you think of the color saturation of the print?

bb
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:02 PM
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
3,083 Posts
Besides the gloss level, the product is excellent. I did some logos and such with it to test out the abilities of color saturation/separation... and looked great.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,332 Posts
subscribed
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy