HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Question
Modeling pros: How to make Shock (oleo) bellows?

As the title says, have any of you made scale shock/oleo bellows? I'm getting more and more comfy making scale working landing gear, but not found a reasonable way to make shock bellows yet (the ribbed cover that goes of the shock absorber).... Any tips/methods?

Thanks!
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:06 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Try the ribbed part of a "bendy" straw slipped over the wire leg
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:59 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Try the ribbed part of a "bendy" straw slipped over the wire leg
Thanks. interesting idea which would do in some cases, but there's no wire leg... Talkin' full scale here I need to mold them somehow in the correct diameter, length and number of pleats...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:59 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,632 Posts
I was wondering the same thing myself for future project. I'd seen the rubber moulding kits by MicroMark - might be worth a look!

http://www.micromark.com/tcr-40-tire...-lbs,8300.html

It may not be flexible enough..........

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:48 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,551 Posts
I'd say possibly scout around the boots that are made for r/c cars & boats suspension, cv joints and shaft covers.
They come in all shapes and sizes due to the scale differences.

eg.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Centurion.html
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:45 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,844 Posts
Take a look at Vehicles? My Hondas: Moto and Autos have very neat little rubber bellows on their Cable ends... Could be just what you are after.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:03 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,632 Posts
Doh! I've just finished beating myself in the head! - Thanks guys - model car stuff.........Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:30 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not trying to find something close I'm looking for tips on Moulding them in exact scale shape and size....

Pat - Thanks for the rubber compound link...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
What plane? What scale?

I would think you could simply lathe it from a rubber stopper (or hard foam rubber). Just run a shaft through the piece to be lathed and chuck it in your drill, then use a Dremel to cut the profile while the piece is spinning on the drill. It might require and extra pair of hands or a vise to hold your drill steady, but it's a quick way to make your parts without the time and expense of making molds.

Just looking through your blog, another thing you could do... and it's REALLY simple...you could just get the correct size spring and shrink-tube over it. Some shrink-tubing is hard when shrunk, and there are other types that remain flexible.

From what I can tell in the original drawing, those shocks have an external spring with a dust-boot over them. The boot appears to have a helical shape rather than an accordion "dust gator" like some motorcycles--which have the springs on the inside. Or am I reading that wrong? Maybe the shadows and the image being at an angle are throwing me off?

***edit****

Nevermind. Looking at this photo, I can see that there is no spring... it's just a typical accordion boot. And in other photos, I notice than most of the He-111's were missing the boot... they probably dry-rotted off and never got replaced.

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:44 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
[QUOTE=warhead_71;23959238]What plane? What scale?

I would think you could simply lathe it from a rubber stopper (or hard foam rubber). Just run a shaft through the piece to be lathed and chuck it in your drill, then use a Dremel to cut the profile while the piece is spinning on the drill. It might require and extra pair of hands or a vise to hold your drill steady, but it's a quick way to make your parts without the time and expense of making molds.

Just another thing you could do... and it's REALLY simple...you could just get the correct size spring and shrink-tube over it. Some shrink-tubing is hard when shrunk, and there are

From what I can tell in the [those shocks have an external spring with a dust-boot over them. The boot appears to have a helical shape rather than an accordion "dust gator" like some motorcycles--which have the springs on the inside. Or am I reading that wrong? Maybe the shadows and the image being at an angle are throwing me off?

***edit****

Nevermind. Looking at this photo, I can see that there is no spring... it's just a typical accordion boot. And in other photos, I notice than most of the He-111's were missing the boot... they probably dry-rotted off and never got replaced.
[\QUOTE]

Some good creative thinking.. Thanks for the ideas.. its not just for one type or size, just in general. I'm mostly in the 1/12, and 1/6 scale luftwaffe stuff... Just looking to round out my skill set
RCG Plus Member