Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Repair advice for my EPO RTF beaver

Hey guys

So I went for my first flight with my RTF beaver earlier and it went pretty well..by that I mean I found a suitable field, I set up, did trims, took off, it was airborne (for about 3 seconds), but crashed numerous times haha.
Here is a video clip of one such crash
IMG 13381 (0 min 8 sec)

Anyhow, I need to repair some damage.

Basically the brushless motor is mounted to plywood, which in turn WAS fixed to the EPO fuselage. Now, the plywood is only fixed on the one side, and the other is no longer attached to the EPO foam.
(I think description here is clear but I can provide a pic if it helps)

My initial thoughts were to just smother epoxy to bind the plywood to the foam, but epoxy apparently doesn't do well with foam? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

PS : What was I doing wrong in the flight?? The ailerons seemed fine when I checked them. Did I underestimate the wind?
waolly is offline Find More Posts by waolly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
Pics help.

In the video take off looked good, but it looks like you just watched it roll over. Were you giving right aileron to compensate? Were you taking off into the wind or was the wing blowing from the planes right side?

Gorilla glue works better than epoxy when it comes to sticking to foam. The GG penetrates the foam better. Give that a shot. Make sure you spritz some water on both the back of the firewall and the foam prior to applying GG. You won't need much GG either a nice circular bead between a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch from the edges of the firewall. You will need to find a way to hold the firewall securely to the plane until the GG sets. Keep in mind the GG will expand this is the reason for affixing it so it doesn't push away. You also want to keep the thrust angle correct or you will incur a whole new set of problems in your plane.

For your take off you can apply right rudder (which seeing how you have a high wing rudder may be better than aileron compensation) to compensate for that roll tendency. It's hard to determine from the video of it was wind induced or a torque roll (too much throttle). You can also try a longer roll out before you try to take off. Let that thing build up some speed, it's possible you tried to take off too early and tip stalled. If you were giving right aileron or right rudder to correct for the roll and it wasn't responding then definitely gain more speed before lift off.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...