Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemark40 View Post
Interesting way in checking thrust. I have seen some people attach a fish scale to tail of plane to measure the amount of pull. Either way you want the maximum amount of thrust but stay within your current limits.
Exactly, re scales yea that is maybe more accurate but too much hassle IMO my method is good enough for me
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Love the Cub
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Sep 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukiwi View Post

BTW, once you have tried wood props (good ones anyway) you won't want to go back to plastic!
I noticed that Xoar props have been mentioned. Any good wooden props from Hobby King or should I stay away from them. Do the wooden props require balancing like the plastic ones. I would think the higher end props would almost be perfect requiring no balancing.
onthemark40 is offline Find More Posts by onthemark40
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Love the Cub
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Sep 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukiwi View Post
The a/c is rather "nose heavy" out of the box, (Alloy spinner, probably does not help mine either) much more so than the HK Slick.
Options were to either put the rudder servo in the tail area, like the Slick, or to extend the battery tray.
Why do you think for the Hobby King Edge they decided to use a pull-pull configuration instead of putting servo in the tail? Are there benefits to the pull-pull, maybe faster or stronger? This is the first plane I have that uses this configuration.

This is also the first plane I have that uses a small tab with a screw to fasten wing to fuselage. Normally I use plastic bolts that go through fuselage into the wing. The way it is setup now you would think it would not be as forgiving in a crash.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
494 Posts
Quote:
I noticed that Xoar props have been mentioned. Any good wooden props from Hobby King or should I stay away from them. Do the wooden props require balancing like the plastic ones. I would think the higher end props would almost be perfect requiring no balancing.
I have not seen any good "woodies" on HK, but there are loads of stockists of other quality props in the U.S.

Balance wise, I have yet to need to balance an Xoar prop.
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
494 Posts
Quote:
Why do you think for the Hobby King Edge they decided to use a pull-pull configuration instead of putting servo in the tail? Are there benefits to the pull-pull, maybe faster or stronger? This is the first plane I have that uses this configuration.
No Idea. My 3DHS Slick has the same pull, pull rudder. That is tail heavy, so I follow the reason there was to keep the mass as far forward as possible.
"Stronger, faster", well, can be more of a fiddle to set up!

Quote:
This is also the first plane I have that uses a small tab with a screw to fasten wing to fuselage. Normally I use plastic bolts that go through fuselage into the wing. The way it is setup now you would think it would not be as forgiving in a crash.
All the stress is on the wing tube. The other pins stop the wing rotating. So the small screw just stops the wing from moving out.
Forgiving? well , no. If you cartwheel one of these, they usually break the fuselage behind the wing....
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Love the Cub
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Sep 2012
383 Posts
I will give the Xoar props a try. I will have my Edge 540 tuned for 3D in no time. I just need to keep it 3 mistakes high so I have time to recover
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
494 Posts
You could also try VOX props. Also very good.