Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:48 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Thank you Downunder.
That was a lot of work.
Thanks John but it seems I've set myself another task now. I mentioned a link to the Elmore site which had many many scans of tests from Aeromodeller magazine but unfortunately a few weeks ago the site was taken down through no fault of their own. I'd always intended to copy their scans to my computer in case that ever happened but I left it too late . However I've found another site that has full scans of many complete Aeromodeller magazines so I'm in the process of copying out any engine tests from that which I'll upload fairly soon, hopefully .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:20 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Anyone know what this mystery engine is?

It's most likely a recent Russian product, may be a 2.5cc F2D engine and may be made by NV, the new incarnation of Norvel.

It appears in a pic on the NV splash page with current production "Norvel" engines.

See: http://www.nvengines.com/index.php#148
Ray,

That link is very unhappy!

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Ray,

That link is very unhappy!

G
Greg,

yes! It works but I suspect that the word about the new NV AX-46 Petrol r/c motor has got out into ATF land.

No electronic ignition system just a special glowplug and a new carby design.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:44 PM
Newby Retiree
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
The Elmores site is down but there is a very comprehensive set of glow and diesel engine test reports at: http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/
Steve_P. is offline Find More Posts by Steve_P.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
GallopingGhost,

It's neat to see someone using some of the more obscure engines.

How do you like the big ol' Gilbert? I had one recently, and it seemed to start as easy as a Cox engine, but it definitely needed good gaskets to prevent leakage.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:06 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
Haven't flown them yet, kpriddle. When the weather is right and I've got a stooge built, will give a flight report. Here's a few more pictures of the Gilberts. I've reduced the Sterling Ringmaster Jr. to 26-1/2 inches wingspan, planning on building a foamboard version for the larger Gilbert.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Neat! I'd love to see the how the foamboard version flies. It should be nice and light, which will probably favor your .11.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
True. I bought several sheets of 3/16" thick x 20" x30" poster foamboard for a buck a pop from the Dollar Tree store. It is lighter than the quality Borden stuff. Should be a good flying one, perhaps not as stunt-tacular as balsa with symmetrical foil wing, but still a fun ship.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Name: MP Jet PB 061.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 147.0 KB
Description:

My MP Jet .061 PB.

I just finished breaking it in today and have a plane I'm going to fix up for it. It's a loud strong running engine. Super easy to crank and about as easy to needle as any engine I've ever run... except for the needle being less than a finger-width from the prop. I think I'm going to like this one. I hope i can find a source for parts. Anyone know where to get bits and pieces for this Czechoslovakian thing?
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Attachment 5462746

My MP Jet .061 PB.

I just finished breaking it in today and have a plane I'm going to fix up for it. It's a loud strong running engine. Super easy to crank and about as easy to needle as any engine I've ever run... except for the needle being less than a finger-width from the prop. I think I'm going to like this one. I hope i can find a source for parts. Anyone know where to get bits and pieces for this Czechoslovakian thing?
Nice!

I've never seen a pic of a plain bearing version of this engine before.

For MP spares you can't beat David Owen here in Australia. If it's available he can get it.

See: http://www.pelaero.com.au/pricelist_2011-06.pdf

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Sure enough, David has the NV I'm concerned about listed on that page. Thanks.

For some reason my NV has gotten too stiff to adjust without pliers. It was originally too loose, I don't know what's gotten into it, it's not dirty or cross threaded. The valve and needle are soaking in alcohol tonight.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
I fixed the needle valve. I must've whacked it with the chicken stick because it was slightly bent. I straightened it and it works fine now, and it's tight enough to stay still while it's running, which it wouldn't do before. I learned that the spraybar has two horizontally opposed holes. Never seen one like that before.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:44 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
Yes, I understand perfectly well RknRusty, having done similar things with a chicken stick. Regarding the spraybar with two holes, that's a new one to me but makes sense. AFAIK the suction is strongest (or so I heard) in the space between the venturi wall and spraybar. The RC carbs do that by sticking the NVA end parallel to the air flow.

I also gather that depended up the quality received, patience, some know how, not knowing but trying and it worked, some have better luck with troublesome engines than others.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
I fixed the needle valve. I must've whacked it with the chicken stick because it was slightly bent. I straightened it and it works fine now, and it's tight enough to stay still while it's running, which it wouldn't do before. I learned that the spraybar has two horizontally opposed holes. Never seen one like that before.
That's the way Fox spraybars were made. The holes didn't pass straight through the center of the spraybar, so there was a "top" and a "bottom", with the spraybar oriented so those holes were as far "down" in the venturi as they could go. I always disliked those Fox assemblies, and threw them away when I bought new Foxes.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi