Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Is this a joke?

Don't "they" have some secret plane that can go 4000 mph..."X" something or other.

Ridgewalker
Yeah Ridge, NASA has a jet called the X-43A which can do speeds of mach 10 or something like that! Not sure if it is manned or not. Nasa has a bunch of those X projects. But if it were in fact to be a "jet" it would need a runway right? Maybe that "tube" is a covering for a runway?!

And knowing our gov't I wouldnt be suprised they have some super secret program or something like that. Or once again it could be the conspiracy theorists at work...

And Mac, thats some pretty heavy stuff and Im not even sure if I could do it, maybe shoot out a knee or something lol then bring in the rope and hog tie em up! Not to long ago a man down near the University of Maryland grabbed a samuri from his collection and cut the arm off of an intruder and the guy ultimetly died...

We may never know..
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 23, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Mac, that's a pretty cool video. But whoever created the virtual image of Mars could have just missed a spot. I mean, it is a computerized image after all to a certain degree, it could just be a glitch. Still interesting stuff. Reminds me of this http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/anal...u_project.html

Really really interesting technology with NASA's HDUs. You can even grow lettuce in there to have a fresh salad once in a while, while spending eternity in space. Sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to me

---

Wow, I'm freaked out reading about the stuff that happens in your areas. Nothing like that ever happens here. I don't want to jinx anything *knocks on wood* but I swear that kind of stuff does not happen here at all, and even if it does, it is extremely rare. Wow, now I understand why those safety precautions are needed.

I never realized how different it is over there. After reading that stuff, I am stunned.

Please stay safe guys!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post

Wow, I'm freaked out reading about the stuff that happens in your areas. Nothing like that ever happens here. I don't want to jinx anything *knocks on wood* but I swear that kind of stuff does not happen here at all, and even if it does, it is extremely rare. Wow, now I understand why those safety precautions are needed.

I never realized how different it is over there. After reading that stuff, I am stunned.

Please stay safe guys!
Astro, you make it sound like we live in Iraq or Afghanistan lol Its not ALL bad EVERYWHERE. Its just like this especially near a city. Baltimore I think is in the top 5 list of crime ridden cities in the US. But 40 minutes north, where I live, its relatively peaceful.

Actually, the county I live in is wierd. We have projects, average housing, and multi million dollar mansions on the same road. Kyle Boller of our Ravens lived up the road from me and so did Matt Stover. But I live in the "average" housing. And down a bit from the projects is the country club.

But you are lucky you live where you live. Canada sure does sound good sometimes. Great place to live and raise your family it seems. Anyplace where you dont need weapons for reassurance sounds like a good place to me.

And guys, just looked into it more....it is unmanned but whose to say they cant make a manned aircraft? Imagine accidently hitting the ejection button doing mach 9.6

X-43A Goes 7,000 MPH - Getting Ready for Mach 10 (1 min 16 sec)

Im putting my money on that that "tube" is a runway covering. Place your bets
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:03 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Dogfights!!

Wow!
On History International Channel right now: Dogfights: FLYING TIGERS!!

I get the feeling I'm gonna want to buy a P-40 after watching this awesome show!!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Wow!

I get the feeling I'm gonna want to buy a P-40 after watching this awesome show!!
I love watching Dogfights. Some of those moves and menuevers those pilots did to get into firing range or position is amazing. So much thinking and executing.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:11 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Wow!

Soon as i read that i put on the History ch...and Swamp People is on!
No Dogfighting on the History ch here tonight!

The rain has stopped and i'm hoping to get out with the T-28 tonight!

That X 43A is fast!!...wonder what it is using for fuel??

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:

Ridgewalker
I think its on the History International channel..

And im not sure about the fuel..going to have to read up on what a scramjet is lol

EDIT: Just did some reading. A scramjet is like a ramjet (like on the sr71 which uses less fuel the faster it goes). In a ramjet the air is compressed and slowed down before combustion. But a scramjet takes in the air at supersonic speed resulting in supersonic exhaust. It usees a rocket booster to get up to speed and then the scramjet takes the supersonic air in and makes it go faster.
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 23, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
You guys keep up with the flite test videos?

After watching this latest episode, I think I'm going to make a bomb drop for my P-47. I have some foam drop tanks for my F-86. I think I'll cut them down into the shape of a 500lb bomb

Busted one of the little POS wheels that came with my 109 just now landing. Too windy to be flying but I couldn't resist. Landing in a crosswind = no fun.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:53 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
The x43 is a Scramjet...a supersonic ramjet. they goota go fast to light off. They were first tested by launching from the back of an SR71. The current tests use a modified air launched missle to get 'er lit.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
It's fast, and I'm slow.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:

Ridgewalker
Yeah, it's on History Int'l.
Pretty neat.
You probably have it up in your higher channels, Ridge. I found out that they show "Dogfights" quite a lot on HI!

I hope you have the T-28 out!
I just got done cutting out my fuse sides and wings/tail for my scratch T-28.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:14 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
The x43 is a Scramjet...a supersonic ramjet. they goota go fast to light off. They were first tested by launching from the back of an SR71. The current tests use a modified air launched missle to get 'er lit.
Rightio! I found another video that talks about the video I posted and they talked about how they used a solid rocket booster to get 'er up to speed and then the scramjet took it over from there.

Mac, how would you make the round fuse of the t28 with foam? Are you just using a flat sheet or what?

I feel like the champ would be easier to make because it has that square-ish fuse..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Wow, I love this guys, awesome videos one after another. 7000 mph is mind boggling!!!!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
GJO, I think Mac is making a toon T-28 which I just recently learned about. I think the fuse isn't round, but is boxy.

Anyhow, I plan on making round fuselages. I have a couple of methods in mind (actually about 3), and will try them all to see which gives the desired results.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:26 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
Wow, I love this guys, awesome videos one after another. 7000 mph is mind boggling!!!!
This is pretty cool. Not sure how accurate his intepretations are of the 4500mph passes are but I think they would be accurate enough if those planes were indeed going 700mph then all he did was speed it up 6x...but then again the speed of sound is around 660knots or around 700mph and if those planes were going around 700mph theyd be awfully close if not breaking the sound barrier..which they cant do near people. I dunno, either way it is mind boggling lol

x-15 fly-by at 4,520 MPH fastest aircraft in the world (0 min 49 sec)
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:31 PM.