HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by S11D336B, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:23 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,758 Posts
That is a fantastic movie Paul, glad you are not giving up. Thats one of my all time favourites apart from when you crashed. Do another edit for yourself where the crash isnt in the footage. I loved it, thats right up there with the Austria Works guys video. Superb, keep doing them.
Cheers
Mike
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:44 AM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Here's my latest crash video, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh2p1nZwq2M

very nice video i think it can happen to all of us even if we have all the tools sometime we are so excited we think we can make it but i think its a part of the hobby to have bad luck but we are adict to multi rotors and that why soon your quad will fly again
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
960 Posts
Awesome flying around the trees... and a great video. Keep at it :-)

Pete
Efliernz is online now Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
The pure untethered flying is awesome. Hopefully some of that equipment was salvagable after it dried out. Did the board make it?
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
That is a fantastic movie Paul, glad you are not giving up. Thats one of my all time favourites apart from when you crashed. Do another edit for yourself where the crash isnt in the footage. I loved it, thats right up there with the Austria Works guys video. Superb, keep doing them.
Cheers
Mike
Thanks a lot Mike, I really appreciate it. Yeah it was a tough few days but the addiction is just too strong, have to keep going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
very nice video i think it can happen to all of us even if we have all the tools sometime we are so excited we think we can make it but i think its a part of the hobby to have bad luck but we are adict to multi rotors and that why soon your quad will fly again
Yeah it was quite a shocker when I tried to level off to go over the water and it just kept descending. Had I only realized just a moment sooner I could have landed in the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
Awesome flying around the trees... and a great video. Keep at it :-)

Pete
Thanks, the flying through the trees was the most fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
The pure untethered flying is awesome. Hopefully some of that equipment was salvagable after it dried out. Did the board make it?
Thanks, it was some fun flying till the crash. For some reason the day I flew over the marsh it was acting kind of wobbly. Not sure the Sport board is good for heavy quads.

I haven't had a chance to check everything but so far:

Hoverfly Sport, connected to computer and passes tests.
EZUHF Rx, Seems to work. Connected to radio checked all the channels with servos all worked as expected.
GoPro 1 - without case (downward facing) Toast, won't turn on.
ESCs, unknown
EZOSD, unknown
Avrotos, unknown

I'll get some time this weekend to test more stuff.

Plus I'm thinking I need to get back in the saddle and fly my homebrew quad, although not over water
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Update:

Well some AWESOME news! I got a chance to check the rest of the components tonight after work and here's the final tally:

Hoverfly Sport - Works plugged into computer, not flight tested yet
EZUHF Rx - Connects to radio and servo tests on all channels worked
EZOSD - Works
LC Filter - Works
EZ Voltage Meter - Works
1280MHz ReadyMadeRC VTx - Works
Pixim Seawolf FPV Cam - Works
Avrotos - Work
3 RCTimer ESCs - Work
1 RCTimer ESC - Smoked (must have been where the electricity went on impact)
GoPro 1 - Won't turn on Going to try and disassemble to see if I can clean it out better.

I spent a lot of time cleaning and drying the components along with putting everything in a rice bag and almost everything still works, I'm AMAZED!

Standing swamp water may have been naturally distilled? hehe

This makes the crash a WHOLE lot cheaper... whew!
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Update:

Well some AWESOME news! I got a chance to check the rest of the components tonight after work and here's the final tally:

Hoverfly Sport - Works plugged into computer, not flight tested yet
EZUHF Rx - Connects to radio and servo tests on all channels worked
EZOSD - Works
LC Filter - Works
EZ Voltage Meter - Works
1280MHz ReadyMadeRC VTx - Works
Pixim Seawolf FPV Cam - Works
Avrotos - Work
3 RCTimer ESCs - Work
1 RCTimer ESC - Smoked (must have been where the electricity went on impact)
GoPro 1 - Won't turn on Going to try and disassemble to see if I can clean it out better.

I spent a lot of time cleaning and drying the components along with putting everything in a rice bag and almost everything still works, I'm AMAZED!

Standing swamp water may have been naturally distilled? hehe

This makes the crash a WHOLE lot cheaper... whew!
very happy for you! maybe the hoverfly board is okay also so you don't to purchase my hoverflypro! I remember i have made a test with a old computer and decide to cleaning it with water from the garden hose ! and believe it or not I let it dry fews day and the computer was ok! even the power supply! because they used a special treatment of the motherboard they are protected from the moisture
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
would never use anything that went into the water fresh or salt....if just one componant fales in the future you could lose a good camera or have it run into some one...start fresh get that stuff out of the equipment loop....if your flying in a field no camera goofing around ok!!
h2ohsng is offline Find More Posts by h2ohsng
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
From Dream # 9 (1 min 8 sec)

yardstick quad from home depot...sony nex7 1080 60p...Hoverfly Sport Board in AP mode 4s battery
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
watch in 720p or greater
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohsng View Post
yardstick quad from home depot...sony nex7 1080 60p...Hoverfly Sport Board in AP mode 4s battery
Oh yeah, that bird puts the frosting on the cake. A little soft for Nex7 - intentional or YouTube or ??
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
you tube kills the video...the original is tack sharp...make sure you view at 720 or greater it helps..dale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohsng View Post
you tube kills the video...the original is tack sharp...make sure you view at 720 or greater it helps..dale
I viewed in 1080 full screen. Did you apply any stabilization? That will soften the vid a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,039 Posts
Earl you must be trippin' if you didn't see the software stabilization in that video. The opening scene take a look at the tree on the left before it transitions, either we are having an earthquake in Ohio or that tree just swung like I'm on acid.

Not detracting from the video because it looks great, just certainly was stabilized.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Earl you must be trippin' if you didn't see the software stabilization in that video. The opening scene take a look at the tree on the left before it transitions, either we are having an earthquake in Ohio or that tree just swung like I'm on acid.

Not detracting from the video because it looks great, just certainly was stabilized.
Well, I usually am trippin' but that's beside the point it looked like the YouTube algorithm to me and I wanted to confirm.
RCG Plus Member