Old Jun 22, 2016, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bird09
Joined Jun 2015
346 Posts
Discussion
Throttle on switch or throttle stick for hotliners?

So after doing plenty of reading on RCGroups and discussing with people at my field who fly hotliners, it seems that (as with most things) people have different opinions on the benefits of using either the throttle stick for throttle or putting the throttle on a switch which gives you 100% or nothing.

Here are the pros for each solution I've come up with so far. Please contribute with your own ideas as to what makes either solution superior to the other in your opinion. If you've tried both, then I definitely want to hear your comparisons. Please mention what mode (1,2,3,4) you fly as well, so I can take that into consideration.

For throttle stick:
-Can use throttle in between 0 and 100%. Doesn't have to be all or nothing.
-Easier and more natural to reach then having to reach higher for a switch and potentially not have as good of a handle on the left stick controls for a moment.

For throttle on switch:
-Supposedly less stress on the ESC by keeping it out of the middle power ranges.
-Because it's on a swtich, less likely to accidently turn throttle on by bumping the throttle stick up a bit.

Full disclosure: I fly mode 4, meaning compared to mode 2, the ailerons and rudder are switched. So throttle/aileron on left stick, elevator/rudder on right stick. So it's possible mode 2 fliers (the majority on this board it seems) may feel more comfortable with putting it on a switch, because while reaching for a switch with the left hand, you'll still have full control with elevator and ailerons with your right stick. On the other hand, reaching for the switch would leave me struggling to control ailerons (on the left stick) for a moment.

So what say you, fellow hotliner fliers? To use a switch or not to ? Also do you think me flying mode 4 would make either of these solutions more advantageous for me? Thanks for any responses guys! And if you couldn't tell, I'm leaning strongly towards using the throttle stick for throttle mainly because while using the switch I'd have minimal/no control of my ailerons.
Bird09 is offline Find More Posts by Bird09
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2016, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by modethree
United States, CA, San Dimas
Joined Apr 2014
21 Posts
Whatever works best for. What the heck is mode 4, were you dropped as a child?
modethree is online now Find More Posts by modethree
Old Jun 22, 2016, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Dotcom
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
155 Posts
Hi Bird
I fly competition F5B with handheld radio with mode 2 (aileron&elevator on right stick) and i have the throttle on a 2position switch (no spring) on the top left of the radio. Flaps/butterfly is on the left stick. I operate the throttle with the index and middle finger of the left hand. During the speed task i keep the fingers there, no need for flaps and no time to go look for the switch. Motor is simply on-off and can accurately be controlled with the switch as it is important not to have motor on too early while still in the distance or off too late. Flying is thus only done with the right hand.
Using the switch like this i can not imagine with mode 4 as while flying you need both hands on both sticks, maybe you could operate the switch with the ring and little finger. Others use mode 4 and the throttle switch or push button is mounted on top of the left stick.
There is one guy who has mode 2, throttle on the left stick and the rudder (left/right of the left stick) is used for flaps!
Happy flying, Andy
Dotcom is offline Find More Posts by Dotcom
Old Jun 22, 2016, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Dotcom
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modethree View Post
modethree, what the heck is mode three?
Dotcom is offline Find More Posts by Dotcom
Old Jun 22, 2016, 04:19 PM
Joined Apr 2014
21 Posts
Modethree incorporates a footpedal for throttle control via a USB cable. I haven't ran across many other mode 3 flyers.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2015
346 Posts
Quote:
Haha, I know this guy from my field. He actually flies mode 4 as well (depsite his name), just being a smart @ss. In fact, he takes it one step further for his hotliners. Springs on both sticks. elevator/rudder on right stick, throttle and ailerons and flaps on the right stick. At neutral position on left stick, he can glide using ailerons going left to right. Pushing up from neutral engages throttle. Pushing down from neutral on the throttle stick engages flaps.

So even though I WAS dropped on my head as a child, ate paint chips, etc., you know damn well what mode 4 is, you mode 4 flier! Perhaps you were dropped as a child as well? Maybe that's how mode 4 fliers come to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotcom View Post
Hi Bird
I fly competition F5B with handheld radio with mode 2 (aileron&elevator on right stick) and i have the throttle on a 2position switch (no spring) on the top left of the radio. Flaps/butterfly is on the left stick. I operate the throttle with the index and middle finger of the left hand. During the speed task i keep the fingers there, no need for flaps and no time to go look for the switch. Motor is simply on-off and can accurately be controlled with the switch as it is important not to have motor on too early while still in the distance or off too late. Flying is thus only done with the right hand.
Using the switch like this i can not imagine with mode 4 as while flying you need both hands on both sticks, maybe you could operate the switch with the ring and little finger. Others use mode 4 and the throttle switch or push button is mounted on top of the left stick.
There is one guy who has mode 2, throttle on the left stick and the rudder (left/right of the left stick) is used for flaps!
Happy flying, Andy
Thanks for the response Andy, very interesting info. I was contemplating using my rudder stick (since my plane is 3 channel, no rudder) as flaps. It may be easier for me with this setup. And of course using the throttle stick as throttle, since using a switch with my config seems like it would be very tough to operate.

To clarify, this plane will be used as a amazingly awesome sport flier, I've got no desire to compete in the F5B class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotcom View Post
modethree, what the heck is mode three?
Modethree is a mode three poseur. In fact, he flies mode 4 like me. But for clarification, mode 3 is mode 2 reversed, so potentially mode 2 for lefties. It has throttle/rudder on right stick, aileron/elevator on left stick. Like mode 4, mode 3 is another mode that is very rarely seen among RC fliers.

Quote:
Modethree incorporates a footpedal for throttle control via a USB cable. I haven't ran across many other mode 3 flyers.
Taking BS to the next level! This guy uses no foot pedals. He's a mode 4 flier who made a wrong screen name on RC Groups. He is, however, a very funny dude and to compliment, a very proficient and precise flier.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,852 Posts
Yes... Throttle on a spring loaded switch. Anyway, why would you want to fly a hotliner at partial throttle ?..lol....
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2014
21 Posts
Wow that's quite a reply. True 0-100% only unless for brief go-around.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by sneu
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,429 Posts
Quote:
Wow that's quite a reply. True 0-100% only unless for brief go-around.
There is actually middle ground here----most of the newer radios have provision for ramps and curves and speeds which can be applied to the throttle channel. Also most radios have different flight modes which also can have slower ramps when doing duration type flying or landing.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 22, 2016, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2014
21 Posts
I saw the complex spline curve that you set up on Mark's 14MZ.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2015
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Yes... Throttle on a spring loaded switch. Anyway, why would you want to fly a hotliner at partial throttle ?..lol....
Off the top of my head, when I'm coming in for a landing approach and want just a little extra speed without going full bore.

From the perspective of someone who's never flown a hotliner, having the option to use any amount of throttle as opposed to all or nothing could be useful. Not saying it would be used regularly, but I'm sure it could be useful at times. Perhaps my opinion will change when I have some experience with it.

The main thing for me is that using a switch takes my left hand of the left stick, therefore making aileron control nearly impossible until I hit the switch again and move my hand back to the left stick. Like I said before, because most everyone here flies mode 2, using a switch for throttle may be superior, but my controls may mean a different solution will work better for me.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
2,155 Posts
I use both....throttle on the slider on the left side back for launch at reasonable levels and the gear switch is a spring for 100% after launch....the best of both worlds
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by ptxman
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
2,045 Posts
Related discussion here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2672214

I've come to the conclusion that the answer is primarily dictated by your TX, features you are willing to live with/without & your stick/switch layout comfort factor. If left stick 'Glider mode' flap/spoiler/mix smooth transition functionality is more important, then that typically leaves less THR choices: usually a spare switch or slider. Steve makes a good point, some newer TX's can program a ramp/delay which might serve as a workaround for a partial blip giving a softer transition vs. hard on/off on say on aborted landing. My TX does not have that, but wish it did.

If you go ACRO mode with regular throttle transition stick, then you are typically left with more limited & primitive flap/spoiler control normally found in Glider mode. Those functions typically then get mapped to switches & sliders. Choose yer poison.

If you want some hybrid mode (spoiler/flap stick to serve dual duty as a conventional throttle but flight mode specific flaps/spoilers, then you qualify as a programming god IMO.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:49 PM
pnc
Find More Posts by pnc
pnc
USA, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2009
980 Posts
On my futaba radios I have taken the off the right side momentary switch and put it on the left side for my throttle
pnc is offline Find More Posts by pnc
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by nofreee
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2012
401 Posts
I fly with throttle on the stick. Great for getting the motor turning before launch and getting a lot of the initial torque roll reduced. I never fly part throttle once in the air though, maybe a little 20% blip for setting up an approach or something. I do have a more aggressive throttle curve set up though.

Flaps are on a switch. 2 second deployment delay to make the transition smooth and predictable.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee