Old May 21, 2016, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by jernejk
Kranj
Joined Jun 2006
41 Posts
Discussion
Yet another beginner with Triumph 800

Hello,

I've been flying planes but yesterday I saw a sailboat in a local shop, and living in a windy city with a small lake nearby, I thought "why not"?

The only problem, I have no clue about boats :-)

The boat is Reely triumph 800. Looking at it again today I realised it had no motor. Which is nice as far as sailing goes, but... what when something goes wrong?

They also have one with an engine, but it's twice the price and the sails are much smaller. I don't really like it that much.

What would you guys recommend?
jernejk is offline Find More Posts by jernejk
Last edited by jernejk; May 31, 2016 at 01:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2016, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by M.Sea.Squared
Joined Apr 2015
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
Hello,

I've been flying planes but yesterday I saw a sailboat in a local shop, and living in a windy city with a small lake nearby, I thought "why not"?

The only problem, I have no clue about boats :-)

The boat is Reely triumph 800. Looking at it again today I realised it had no motor. Which is nice as far as sailing goes, but... what when something goes wrong?

They also have one with an engine, but it's twice the price and the sails are much smaller. I don't really like it that much.

What would you guys recommend?
Honestly I feel that with very very basic understanding of sailing you should be just fine.
M.Sea.Squared is offline Find More Posts by M.Sea.Squared
Old May 21, 2016, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by pwallace
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2015
136 Posts
Pick a place to sail to start where the wind is blowing at you. This increases the odds of the boat making it back to where you are standing.

The models that have two motors in place of the rudder are best avoided. It cuts into the run time.
pwallace is online now Find More Posts by pwallace
Old May 21, 2016, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Gregg28
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,116 Posts
You don't build planes to crash.

A well built boat will (virtually) always find its way back to you if you follow pwallace's advice.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old May 21, 2016, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by tarmstro
Thomas Armstrong
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
613 Posts
RC Sailing is soooo easy yo do not need beginner help.... just some advice from a fellow sailor standing next to you. Pick a place where wind blows at you, and a time where there are no chances of no wind, and your will be ok.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old May 21, 2016, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
A well built boat will always find its way back to you if you follow pwallace's advice.
Hi jernejk,

The first three words are the bottleneck regarding the Triumph 800...

Like all Chinese boats, it is not ready to run; it'll float and say upright (hopefully) but due to the amount of sail and the light keel bulb, it's a typical light weather boat which will not perform well 'living in a windy city'...

If you take the time to watch some video's of this boat on youtube, you'll see what I mean.
Also, the supplied lines stretch like mad and it's virtually impossible to set the boat uo properly without breaking things.

For a windy city, I'd go for a Dragon Force RG65, which will sail wel out of the box.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old May 21, 2016, 11:04 AM
Kranj
Joined Jun 2006
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi jernejk,

The first three words are the bottleneck regarding the Triumph 800...

Like all Chinese boats, it is not ready to run; it'll float and say upright (hopefully) but due to the amount of sail and the light keel bulb, it's a typical light weather boat which will not perform well 'living in a windy city'...
Well, damn, I just bought it

I think it will do just to try and see if I like this kind of thing. I guess building a heavier keel is also an option?
Old May 21, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by andyzib
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
142 Posts
Quote:
Which is nice as far as sailing goes, but... what when something goes wrong? :confused
That's your excuse to build a recovery boat! A Zipp Kits tugster or Vac-U-Tug for example. My Vac-U-Tug rides in a nice toolbox, perfect sailing companion. Just have to get my sailboat fixed up...
andyzib is offline Find More Posts by andyzib
Old May 21, 2016, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
632 Posts
I believe importing a zipp kit or Vac-U-tug to Slovenia would be quite costly......
Scratchy101 is online now Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old May 22, 2016, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by 22KV
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
54 Posts
Importing a Zipp Kit to South Africa was also going to be a costly exercise, since the shipping would exceed the cost of the kit, so I just made my own. A piece of plywood provides the entire hull and superstructure and all you need to buy are the electrics and a rudder and prop. Mine rescued four boats yesterday after the wind stopped. Getting back to the OP's question, go along to your local RC yacht club and get the guys there to help you. They will be able to get the best out of your Triumph 800 with a bit of attention and will help you to sail it. You will only need five minutes of assistance. Sailing a boat is MUCH easier than flying a plane and if you make a mistake the boat does not rapidly disassemble itself like a plane does.
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
Old May 22, 2016, 03:41 AM
Find More Posts by 22KV
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
54 Posts
Make a Tugster rescue boat (lots of information on this site) and you can go sailing on your own and rescue your own boat. Just trail a tennis ball behind the tug, go around your boat a few times to snag the keel, and tow it home.
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
Old May 22, 2016, 05:00 AM
Kranj
Joined Jun 2006
41 Posts
Awesome, I get an excuse to buy more boats

I've almost assembled the boat. The point where mast is attached to the boat seems kinda weak. I took the bout out on the wind and there were some unhealthy cracking sounds. The winds are about 5-6 beauforts here today and i'm sure this is indeed no go for this cheap boat.

I also don't quite understand why 2 of the side tension ropes are fixed in the middle and then have some kind of a moving part in the upper part of the mast and another thingy to set the tension just in the upper part. I don't understand the function.

How tense should the tensions strings be? I have no clue. So far I haven't glued to mast (the manual says it's recommended but not mandatory) simply because I didn't know how it should all fit together.
Old May 22, 2016, 02:47 PM
Kranj
Joined Jun 2006
41 Posts
Given that winds do calm down at night here and that I prefer to have some privacy, I got this bright idea to try night sailing. Ok, not tonight, despite the fool moon it's too dark. But in the (near) future.

So I was thinking, probably the most important it is too see the sails? I'm not going after scale positional lights, that would be of little help. But LEDs pointed at sails should be ok, right?
Old May 23, 2016, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,465 Posts
Hi Jernejk,

The sliding things are called bowsies and are meant to tension the shrouds.
Here's a thread with pictures and sketches how to use them.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=bowsies

Be careful with sailing in a lot of wind; the supplied lines tend to be very stretchy and you won't be the first to see the mast go overboard in a gust.

Get some pre stretched polyester fishing line at the local shop and replace all the factory lines.

Please do read a lot on how to set-up a Chinese boat, there are a lot of threads on the subject on this forum.

Pictures of the parts you have questions about would help a lot!

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old May 23, 2016, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by mfr02
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, I get an excuse to buy more boats

I've almost assembled the boat. The point where mast is attached to the boat seems kinda weak. I took the bout out on the wind and there were some unhealthy cracking sounds. The winds are about 5-6 beauforts here today and i'm sure this is indeed no go for this cheap boat.

I also don't quite understand why 2 of the side tension ropes are fixed in the middle and then have some kind of a moving part in the upper part of the mast and another thingy to set the tension just in the upper part. I don't understand the function.

How tense should the tensions strings be? I have no clue. So far I haven't glued to mast (the manual says it's recommended but not mandatory) simply because I didn't know how it should all fit together.
Force 5-6 is probably way to much.
The side shrouds have 2 jobs - one is to keep the mast vertical against side forces. The other job is to keep the mast rigid over its height. They form triangles with the spreaders, triangles generally don't bend.
The accurate, but probably not very helpful, answer to the tension of the sidestays is "enough". Yes they should twang if plucked (same sound both sides if done right) but not to the point of risking buckling anything. Rigging for a deck stepped mast (one that just sits in a shallow socket) needs a lot more tension than a mast that is supported both at the deck and keel. I suspect that yours will be deck stepped.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02