Old Dec 30, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by owensands
Joined Dec 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
new to flying have cheap plane

Hi all,
So I got this cheap plane on amazon. Its a 3 channel plane from china. I got it to try out with my son. When I got it the motor that turns the rudder sounded like it kept running after a move on the stick(like it was starting to go south basically). The flaps motor works great and the prop accelerator control. The rudder moved back and forth fine at first but about ten mins later it doesn't move anymore and it really seems as though the motor gears inside are stripped or something. I moved it a bit by hand but it doesn't seem to catch anymore. Any ideas on how I might fix it?

this is the plane

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
owensands is offline Find More Posts by owensands
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
600 Posts
There is most likely a form on your plane.
Probably a lot of good information on it
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,243 Posts
Re-post your question here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244563
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Quorneng
Joined Feb 2007
613 Posts
The rudder servo is almost certainly broken.
It depends on the plane but many just compress the foam locally to make the hinge. The result is it is pretty stiff and it needs a lot of power from the servo just to make it move. With a cheap servo the load can be so high it may even strip the gears.
You will need to replace the rudder servo. How easy this is will again depend on the plane.
If you do manage to replace it and it has solid foam hinges it might well be worth cutting away some of the hinge line leaving a short length top and bottom of the rudder. It will give the servo a much easier time.

The exact name of the plane or a decent picture of the plane would help.
Quorneng is offline Find More Posts by Quorneng
Old Dec 31, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,704 Posts
No very high quality and they provide 3 motors because the brushed motors don't last long. Not the easiest model to fly. There are much better models to learn on.

The comment about hinge stiffness applies to a lot of models using the foam as a hinge.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old Jan 01, 2016, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
6,453 Posts
This is an example where cheapest is most expensive. First airplanes and repairs go together like hot dogs and buns. Would you buy a cheap hot dog if you couldn't put your favorite condiments on it? You just did.

This plane has no available replacement parts. You're on your own. Had you bought a Hobbyzone Champ, for $89.99, you would have had a better flying plane.

Not only that but every single part on the plane is available for purchase at a reasonable price! What are you going to do after you break your first propeller on that cheap plane? How about your fifth propeller?

Had you spent what you need to for a quality plane, you would be flying it six months from now, a year from now, three years from now! The plane you bought is destined for the garbage in a few weeks.

Which is REALLY the cheaper alternative? Which one can you actually enjoy? Why, it's the Champ, hands down on all accounts! Abandon ship, toss the plane and buy a Champ.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 01, 2016, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by KristofferR
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined May 2015
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
Best advice! 33 pages of info and experience. It seems to fly pretty well so do not give up just yet.

Although - buying a Champ too might be a good idea. As a beginner, spares availability and product support is an important thing.

Please let us know how it went!
KristofferR is offline Find More Posts by KristofferR
Old Jan 01, 2016, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
2,666 Posts
Plenty of spare parts on Banggood - but the wait can seem endless.

Know this. You will crash and it will cost a LOT more money for parts/planes if you enjoy the hobby.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Jan 02, 2016, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by ooOoo
Bank n Yanker
United States, IL, Mt Vernon
Joined Aug 2015
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
This is an example where cheapest is most expensive. First airplanes and repairs go together like hot dogs and buns. Would you buy a cheap hot dog if you couldn't put your favorite condiments on it? You just did.

This plane has no available replacement parts. You're on your own. Had you bought a Hobbyzone Champ, for $89.99, you would have had a better flying plane.

Not only that but every single part on the plane is available for purchase at a reasonable price! What are you going to do after you break your first propeller on that cheap plane? How about your fifth propeller?

Had you spent what you need to for a quality plane, you would be flying it six months from now, a year from now, three years from now! The plane you bought is destined for the garbage in a few weeks.

Which is REALLY the cheaper alternative? Which one can you actually enjoy? Why, it's the Champ, hands down on all accounts! Abandon ship, toss the plane and buy a Champ.
My Champ has been crashed about 8 times and the only problem has been a split tip on the prop from scraping the concrete. If I could do it over though, I'd buy a Sport Cub S bind-n-fly and a used DX6i. The ailerons would have been nice to have, the SAFE may save some people from crash repairs, and the DX6i would allow me to fly 9 other planes.
ooOoo is offline Find More Posts by ooOoo
Old Jan 02, 2016, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,700 Posts
I have a table of flying toys that flow great for a short while no parts no repair for them. Many flow good for a while weeks not months or years. I have many rc plane's going on 3 years old and still flying the Champ I have 3 and one is 3 years old one 2 years old one one year old. II seem to get a new one every year. But not because I must to see how well mine still fly next to a new one. There are a few out there at 59.95 you can get parts for. But for lots of info lots video theres the champ there not one video on how to do it but 4 or 5 , And yes I own all 3 of the planes one is new the inum elite so don't know how it holds up but part can be ordered. The Duet and champ can almost be repair from anything.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2016, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by agentorange90
Joined Dec 2014
453 Posts
I wish they sold the Champ as at BNF or I would have one.
agentorange90 is offline Find More Posts by agentorange90
Old Jan 03, 2016, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
1,305 Posts
The Champ RTF xmttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange90 View Post
I wish they sold the Champ as at BNF or I would have one.
The Champ xmttr is unique in a couple ways, It can be bound to a DX6 G2 or later full range unit through the wireless port. It also offers both Mode 1 and 2 setups and will fly almost any 6 channel plane. The disadvantage is it doesn't have the panic button for SAFE equipped flyers.
BoxCar31 is online now Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Jan 03, 2016, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,700 Posts
I have the rtf version and full range radio. I went back to rtf control after sent big radio off to be repaired took a month or so got new radio for free but it was not over night. Now I use the smalll rtf controls in indoor gym. They bind t almost any plane the work very good and they fit in the box with the plane safe and sound. i also fly small planes around house with them. Pick up box by handle gone all I need to go flying out front with small planes use dx6i out back where got lots of room. I use the old champ radio's one with night vapor one with spacewalker and one with ember 2 ready to go planes can fly any where.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2016, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by owensands
Joined Dec 2015
3 Posts
Hi All,
Checking back in. Thanks for all the replies.

So I had the people who sold me the plane ship us a brand new one at no charge(it was in fact DOA). Today was our first day out with the new working plane with my whole family. Holy crap was it a blast! She actually flew! I was very scared to take it out today because it was very windy but between wind spells I would do a hand launch and my son and I got a few good runs in. It actually seems like it flies decently so I'm pretty happy now. Cant wait to take it out on a good calm day. This is addictive and the whole family had a blast!

Thing is I didn't do much research on the whole RC plane thing so I figured id get something cheap to just see if we even like to fly planes. I think we might just have to upgrade because its super fun but for now this little cheap plane is actually kind of cool!
Thanks all, I will check these other good learner models that people have suggested.

Oh also its not broken after our first outing in the wind no less! Also now I have two of everything since they let us keep the old one. And each plane came with an extra prop so I have four. Two batteries, two controllers etc.
owensands is offline Find More Posts by owensands
Last edited by owensands; Jan 31, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Grup
Spain, Comunidad Valenciana, València
Joined Jan 2004
1,380 Posts
I bought a cheap plane just to see what electric was like; I was flying nitro at the time. It didn't fly well at all, but what I discovered was that I liked the whole electric experience.

I ended up throwing it out after two flights. But I still consider the purchase worth it as it opened up a whole new world (or at least a new continent) of flying enjoyment.

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup