Find More Posts by Marsmann11
One giant leap for slothkind
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jul 2015
109 Posts
New Product
New ECX Outburst 1/14 Motorcycle

http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...dID=ECX01004T1

Explode off the line, tilt into turns and get prepared to turn heads whenever you drive with the maximum ferocity 1/14-scale ECX® Outburst™ Motorcycle. This unstoppable motorcycle puts a new spin on the breakneck durability that put the ECX brand on the map. Big on looks and convenience, the compact Outburst features an eye-catching trim scheme, convenient USB charger as well as a working ultra-bright LED headlight and taillight. Best of all, an internal gyro keeps the Outburst centered while turning arms keep the motorcycle stable and scratch-free no matter how much you tilt.

Features

Gyro stabilization
Side balancing turning arms
Working headlight and taillight LED indicators
Two bold trim schemes to choose from
Everything you need to drive in one box
Rechargeable integrated 1S LiPo battery
Front and rear suspension
Rubber wheels for maximum traction
Convenient USB Charger
2.4GHz Transmitter
4 AA Batteries
Marsmann11 is offline Find More Posts by Marsmann11
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2015, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by chris_z
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2013
55 Posts
I just ordered this from Amazon!

(while my main focus is helicopters, I plan to have at least one of each: plane, boat, car, motorcycle, ?submarine?)
chris_z is offline Find More Posts by chris_z
Old Sep 24, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by kwkride
Slow is Fast . . . .
Joined Feb 2008
45 Posts
I picked mine up from the LHS last night. It's very stable and handles well, but it's also pretty slow.
kwkride is offline Find More Posts by kwkride
Old Sep 26, 2015, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,695 Posts
I got mine, looked faster in the video. Really stable though.

Who is gonna mod one?
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Oct 02, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by wannabe
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
I got mine, looked faster in the video. Really stable though.

Who is gonna mod one?
I am.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Oct 02, 2015, 11:11 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I am.
Looking forward to seeing that.
Old Oct 04, 2015, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Thorvald
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
552 Posts
Well I picked up a pair of these tonight, $54 CDN from local hobby shop. I only opened one package as I planned to return the other if they were garbage but sure enough, they were a blast!

I quickly opened the other package and gave to my youngest son who is 10 now. Then we setup some hockey pucks for a course in park of the driveway and off we went!

These things are great for driveway races and I'm sure would be even better on a smoother surface such as a Tennis court or Gym. Yes there were a bit of a handful at first but we got the hang of it.

Pros
- Very small size, perfect to keep in the top box of the motorcycle and pull out at Rally's to play :-)
- Gyro works very well, they are extremely stable. They lean very well.
- I didn't time the battery yet but we guess around 15 mins. Will time next time. It did take about 3 charges before the two bikes would die at pretty much the same time.
EDIT: Just timed the last run, 11-12 minutes till blinking light (cutoff I assume). So if you ran 8 minute spec races, should be fine.
- Can handle rough pavement due to the gyro
- Responds well to slower speeds and braking for tighter turns
- Has front and rear suspension
- Rollover bars would great, you can easily start from leaned over.
- Durable, we had many T-Bones and collisions with things that didn't move (Jeep, Trailer, Pucks, us... lol).
- Has front and rear lights so running at night is also fun! Front is white and rear is red so you know where it's going.

Cons
- Only a 1S internal pack
- Battery charging is SLLLOOOWW. Box says 30 mins but it seems quicker than that. Will time soon. Its a USB charger so I might try a 2.1amp charger as well to see if that helps.
- Battery is non-swappable. This needs to be fixed by a mod.
- Speed is a tad slow but still fun. Don't get my wrong, it's plenty fast for what it is, you will have fun racing another one or more.
- No adjustments on Tx for anything except speed
- Sometime the bike will flip over onto the riders head and not on the rollover bars which means you have to go out and get it.
- Only two colours at present

Overall after just a few runs and charges I think we are hooked. Much easier to just whip out and run a mini rack compared to my GPV-1 and anyone can drive these things.

Now we need to come up with some sort of rounded reasonable flat track markers that won't blow away as the pucks were a little too immovable lol.

I'd have to give these little guys a 8 of out 10, they are too much fun especially with the kids. 9 if they had a replaceable battery and 10 if they were a little faster in the top end. However I would gladly recommend these to people.

Cheers
Tim

P.S. Now we need someone to make 1/14 MotoGP sticker sets for them and we can paint them up.
Thorvald is offline Find More Posts by Thorvald
Last edited by Thorvald; Oct 04, 2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Updated for Lights and runtime
Old Oct 04, 2015, 07:36 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,695 Posts
Battery is a umx connector. Hmmmm, I have ideas!
Old Oct 04, 2015, 08:35 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
552 Posts
Ah so the battery is kept under the riders body? That has potential if we can modify it enough to slide a 1S under there without removing the rider or simply make him more easily removable.

Change those two screws on his knees to pins with body clips :-)
Old Oct 04, 2015, 10:29 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Ah so the battery is kept under the riders body? That has potential if we can modify it enough to slide a 1S under there without removing the rider or simply make him more easily removable.

Change those two screws on his knees to pins with body clips :-)
It's actually in his body. 2 screws and his torso comes off revealing the battery. I ran it with a 150 45c but didn't notice any gain in performance. Maybe one of the upgraded motors for nqx would do it. (Provided it fits and the esc can handle it.)
Last edited by BigGuyJT; Oct 04, 2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 04:45 AM
Find More Posts by geez
Canada, ON, Lucan
Joined Aug 2014
83 Posts
try it on 2 cells . the esc should take it . I tried it in the litehawk with no problem. it goes quite a bit faster but doesn't make it handle any better .
geez is offline Find More Posts by geez
Old Oct 05, 2015, 07:25 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
552 Posts
Well I spoke too soon, one of the Transmitters broke tonight. The steering wheel no longer has tension (whatever holds the spring inside broke, you can hear it rattling inside).

Time to call Horizon in the morning...
Old Oct 05, 2015, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by wannabe
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,434 Posts
This little bike is perfect for a complete electronics swap. Brushless drive motor and steering servo.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Oct 08, 2015, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by GBLynden
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
5,193 Posts
Here is my unboxing, run, and review for this:

ECX Outburst 1/14 Scale RTR RC Motorcycle Unboxing, Run, & Review (7 min 55 sec)
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Oct 08, 2015, 08:12 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
552 Posts
Well I figured out the weak spot on this bike Tx but thankfully it is an easy fix if you catch it early... The left/right physical end stops are actually very thin pieces of plastic behind the steering wheel.

What happens is that riders that don't realize there is no proportional steering "twist" the wheel to either direction harder thinking they are getting a tighter turn. When in fact this bikes steering is either on/off... the wheel is just for easy of use/show.

Those tiny plastic pieces get broken against the physical stop on the body of the Tx very easily. I solved this by simply filling the cavity that does not play a role in the end-stops, elimianting the possibility of breaking (though now the stress may get sent down into the internals.. ugh).

If you let the end stops break, it will place too much stress on the return spring plastic arm and it will then break in half... which won't hold with glue wel so I had to metal reinforce my little guys Tx.

---

So word of the wise, tell new riders NOT to twist that wheel hard, it's only an On-Off Switch... tell them to slow down to turn.

Cheers
Tim

P.S. Never heard from Horizon on the ticket I entered, I think they actually want you to ship the entire bike back to them.... which from Canada would cost about the price of a new bike just in shipping alone. Sad...