Old May 04, 2015, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by rhodesengr
This is your brain on heli's
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
1,330 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Athena Owners

Since I just ordered and Athena, I though I would start an owners thread. I searched for other Athena specific threads and found a review thread with no new posts since last year.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...a#post29066982

The Athena seems very similar to the popular Great Planes Kunai. I looked at both and went with the Athena mostly because it was available. However, it did seem like there were issues with the Kunai compartment being very small and hard to fit various receivers.

I'll post more when mine arrives and I get it going. If there are other Athena owners out there, please post so we can network.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
I received mine 2 days ago, the kit looks to e of very high quality in both components and build. The ele pushrod is broken at the end, I likely could work it out but we'll see what HK will do. No holes drilled for mounting wings so will need to take extra care to keep everything square. The wing is very thin and comes to a sharp trailing edge, she is going to be fast and a whistler for sure.
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2015, 11:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,330 Posts
hmmm, it is hard to rationalize "high quality" with "broken push rod"
Old May 06, 2015, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Hey guys. Mine should be here tomorrow. But living in the Great White North sometimes has it's hiccups at the border...we'll see...
I have a Contest Hobby Perseus the Athena's big sister. It too had broken pushrods as most of the first kits order from the factory. Although it doesn't help anyone with these first kits, they have now modified the packing of the kits to allow the Carbon Fiber pushrods to float where they won't get broken.
The Perseus is a great bird. It's very fast and does rips across the sky with that wicked sound of speed!!!!Nothing beats it!!!
If the Athena kit is like the Perseus it will be made of High Quality parts for sure, but you better have some building experience, not needed... but there was no manual. I don't think it's something you want to rush...this isn't a Parkzone Radian Pro you're building.
Anyway I'm anxious to see what her baby sister can do!!!

Hey and thx rhodesengr for starting this thread!!!
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Last edited by HuskyDude; May 06, 2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old May 06, 2015, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by Flightplan
Joined Jan 2014
162 Posts
Welcome to 'The Club'! ... The broken pushrod problem is common to the Perseus, the Telamon and now, apparently, the Athena! (See here (the Perseus thread). Wing13 became a poster to that thread (he represents Contest Hobby, the manufacturer). He mentions the issue here. Some solutions were discussed in the Telamon thread, also (see post #10).

It seems this makes a hat-trick for Contest Hobby! That particular problem seems to plague all 3 models.

There are also other more subtle issues. Check that the tail-mount is firmly attached to the fuselage (the glue bond was very weak on my Telamon .. and others reported the same on the Perseus thread). All the aileron and flap servo mounts on my Telamon were also effected by the same weak glue. (I had to re-glue them all). Also one of my flap servo arm screws wasn't tight enough and caused a 'clunk' when manually moving the flap surface. Good idea to check the Athena ailerons for the same.

All this aside, my I love my Telamon! It flies beautifully and apparently so does the Athena! Have fun!

Cheers
PS: HuskyDude beat me to it .. Cheers
Flightplan is offline Find More Posts by Flightplan
Old May 06, 2015, 09:10 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
Quote:
they just missed it on the packing, the rod hung out of the back of the fuse so when it shifted a little the mass of the fuse came down on it. It was actually really well packed in a wood like cardboard box. It will not be a major issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2015, 09:37 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
I see in the percious thread the tail piece mount with threaded area for screws that would go threw the horz stab. My mounting plate is not attached to the tail boom, I'm guessing since the vert stab will fall on top of the screws maybe just glue everything up instead ?? I'm not really sure what they intended here. The vertical stab looks to be a straight glue up. I guess I could use small bugle head screws on the horz- but not really sure if it's needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2015, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,330 Posts
Thanks to all you guys for chiming in. At least we'll be able to support each other. I am a little nervous hearing there is no manual. I have a fair amount of building experience but its always nice to have a manual. Maybe someone can do a build post? Mine has not arrived yet.
Old May 06, 2015, 12:34 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all you guys for chiming in. At least we'll be able to support each other. I am a little nervous hearing there is no manual. I have a fair amount of building experience but its always nice to have a manual. Maybe someone can do a build post? Mine has not arrived yet.
Hey thats why we're here...Right!
I have talk to Joey (from Contest Hobby) and he needs a little help on a English manual for us. If we all help with a build report we can contribute on designing a proper manual for all new comers.
Contest Hobby is a fresh new company and I don't mine helping them out.
Last edited by HuskyDude; May 11, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 06, 2015, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet View Post
they just missed it on the packing, the rod hung out of the back of the fuse so when it shifted a little the mass of the fuse came down on it. It was actually really well packed in a wood like cardboard box. It will not be a major issue.
That's pretty funny...
Shifted..... I can see the postal workers now 15' throw to the next bin!!! Scores!!!!or opps another box hit the concrete floor.
Old May 06, 2015, 04:00 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
That's pretty funny...
Shifted..... I can see the postal workers now 15' throw to the next bin!!! Scores!!!!or opps another box hit the concrete floor.
see opening scene "ace ventura pet detective"
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2015, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,330 Posts
where does the battery go?

Looking at the photo on HK website, it seems that the ESC and servo take up all the room in the battery compartment. Anyone have a photo showing where the battery is supposed to go?
Old May 07, 2015, 01:35 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
I was wondering this as well and thought maybe the esc is just strapped in for shipping ? I cannot tell until all is in 1 piece and I can find the cg
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2015, 04:14 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts

Man I wish I could help.....still waiting.....

Edit: If it's designed like the Perseus the battery will be under the wing. Close to the C/G. Might have to do some trimming of the servo plate...all just guessing...
Last edited by HuskyDude; May 07, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old May 07, 2015, 07:29 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
1,073 Posts
Well mine was sitting at my back door when I got home today. And I thought I'd do a very quick opening for ya. Won't have time to assemble till the weekend.
Most will be a repeat of what Ohio_Danimal wrote last Aug.

The box is more wood like than cardboard very strong.

Everything is very well packaged. The main wing ( two half's) are in separate bubble wrap envelopes, stab and rudder are wrapped in plastic. And the fuselage is in plastic and surrounded by its own corrugated cardboard. There's some spec sheets and info but no manual. (yet)

Even with all this my pushrod was also broken. I kinda knew this already since this one is from the first batch. I hear Contest Hobby is making more as we speak and will be shipped to H/K soon.

Edit: May 16th.
I removed the small broken piece of plastic and threaded the metal rod into the remaining plastic pushrod end. Took all of two minutes.
I made new rod ends. Not satisfied with how the quick fix turned out. More on post #78

I'll have to check the C/G first but I think I'll run my ESC below the servo. Or I might strap on a small heat sink like I did on my Perseus depends how warm the 30 amp ESC gets. I'm thinking it will be fine. But there is no ventilation in the fuselage....

That's all the time I got for now. Gotta get this stuff off the table and start supper for my kids.
For anyone starting to build...might be a good idea to sand the C/F before epoxying the small plastic Stab holding piece. (for lack of a better word) Epoxy doesn't like smooth surfaces and will stick better if you rough it up a bit first.
Lets share any other small building tip!!!
Let the fun begin...Ya!!!
Last edited by HuskyDude; Jun 06, 2015 at 01:48 PM.