SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:05 PM
United States, MN, Markville
Joined May 2014
13 Posts
I still consider myself a novice with less than a year of experience. I've got a little over 300 flights on my FZ Cub ...... it's all stock except for 2.5" wheels ...... and it's a perfect flyer. I also fly a FZ Beaver and a PZ T28.
Gary John is offline Find More Posts by Gary John
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:06 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
667 Posts
Still flying mine with stock power setup! Vertical climbs from 5' takeoff rolls are the norm....I have a spacer nut lose on left axle I gotta fix before I fly again, it tightens up and you make a sudden left turn!!!
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:07 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
624 Posts
I added the new motor, ESC, and prop. Removed the lead weights (since the motor and ESC were now heavier) but used the original COG. I added back 14 g to balance on the COG. It now flies better than ever. Much more powerful in flight but still floats down when I want it to.

Don't give up on it. It really is nice once modified.

Tom
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:08 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
667 Posts
Also fly my Beaver lots!! It was the bird of choice to begin 2015 today at the club new years day fun fly....
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:10 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Jul 2014
42 Posts
Hmmm... We'll get that thing down from the ceiling and fix that CG The Super Cub does have some really effective elevator but can be tamed with dual rates and expo. When I got mine it was RTF and that Tactic 404 could make you or break you real quick.

I've since got the Tactic 650 and love the new features. I've set my expo at 25% and for dual rates, -20% aileron and rudder but -30% (or 70%) for the elevator. It seems to really tame the "pitchiness" of it.

Tom
CZQ Tom is offline Find More Posts by CZQ Tom
Old Jan 01, 2015, 08:39 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZQ Tom View Post
Hmmm... We'll get that thing down from the ceiling and fix that CG The Super Cub does have some really effective elevator but can be tamed with dual rates and expo. When I got mine it was RTF and that Tactic 404 could make you or break you real quick.

I've since got the Tactic 650 and love the new features. I've set my expo at 25% and for dual rates, -20% aileron and rudder but -30% (or 70%) for the elevator. It seems to really tame the "pitchiness" of it.

Tom
Tom:
I also use the Tactic TTX 650 and nearly the same settings. With the added power and COG correct, it flies really nicely. It still tip stalls, but I've learned to handle it better and the added power saves me when necessary.

Tom
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Jan 01, 2015, 09:59 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,219 Posts
Good to see some people still enjoying this little Cub. Mine is permanently attached to its floats now. I modded up the floats to take a steerable water rudder so now I can steer effectively on water instead of weathervaning whenever a breeze pops up. Pushing well over 300 flights on mine now. While installing the water rudder I discovered that the air rudder was only hanging on by a tiny bit of material. Ended up installing pin hinges to fix the problem.

For anybody suffering tip stalls, try installing some shims under the rear attachment point of the wing strut on the wing. Works wonders!
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Jul 2014
42 Posts
REM,

I did add nylon washers under each rear strut wing attach to help with washout. Stalls fall through cleanly without any tendency to fall off on one side or the other. This cub also has a very nice power off glide. I enjoyed your float threads and video; nice job.

Tom
CZQ Tom is offline Find More Posts by CZQ Tom
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:52 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,219 Posts
Thanks. I never flew the Cub without washout while the floats went on so have no idea how it would handle with no washout. The floats do add quite a bit of drag as expected, stalls are straight forward with only a slight tendency to drop a wing. Nothing an experienced flier could not handle. The 10" x 5" APC prop really hauls the Cub off the water and keeps plenty of air moving over the tail for control authority. Only flew once off of water this year to prove the water rudders. Hopefully that will change this year.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jan 01, 2015, 11:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
634 Posts
I still fly mine quite regularly, even though my hanger has grown quite a bit since I first started flying it about a year ago, something about it keeps me coming back. I think it is the beauty (and challenge) of a well executed takeoff, landing or turn. For sure, this is not the best behaved Cub on the market, I also have the new Parkzone Sport Cub, flies way more smoothly and would be a better starter plane. But learning to fly on this FZ cub definitely taught me a lot of lessons.
deadzone is online now Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
634 Posts
Just flew it this morning in moderate wind, reminded me that this plane is by far the worst handling plane I own (including other Cubs) with any significant wind as it is so unstable at slow speeds. It is quite a challenge to land cleanly on a consistent basis. Probably related the well documented design issues that this plane needs more washout and dihedral.
deadzone is online now Find More Posts by deadzone