New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by marshallcowboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by marshallcowboy
Beginners Chat Sun 7to9
Longview
Joined Jan 2004
514 Posts
Discussion
Beginners Chat Sunday 7 to 9 PM CDT

Hi there to all the new guys, Im Jarrod aka Marshallcowboy. On Sunday nights I host a Beginners Chat from 7 to 9 PM Central time. There are several of us that enjoy helping the new guys in this hobby, be it glow or electric. So come join us and have your questions ready, and we will do our best to help ya enjoy this great hobby and have a great learning experince.
If you have a question thats needs an answer pretty quickly drop me a PM and I'll give ya an answer as soon as I can. Need it quicker then that then pop in the chat room, most any one there can help ya pretty quickly. So lets make use of the chat room RCG put up and have a great time while learning the basics of flying.
Jarrod aka Marshallcowboy

PS: Mr Moderator can you make this a sticky so the new guys can see when we hold the Beginners Chat. Thanks
marshallcowboy is offline Find More Posts by marshallcowboy
Last edited by marshallcowboy; Jul 18, 2005 at 09:57 AM. Reason: New day and time for beginners chat.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by agentman
Joined Jul 2006
1 Posts
Hello Marshllcowboy, I am new to the hobby and I have recently purchased an e-flight Cessna which I have not flown yet. My question is, I have spent about a month on a G2 flight simulator and I am thinking about using the Cessna as a trainer and purchasing a larger plane. I feel comfortable fying on the simulator but I don't want to buy the wrong plane for simply this reason. I plan on trying to fly the Cessna in a week or so and I would like to purchase something other than a trainer, what would be your advise on this matter? Thank you, Greg
agentman is offline Find More Posts by agentman
Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by jkid82592
flyingkid
Long Island, Floral Park
Joined Sep 2006
2 Posts
monocote or covering help

i am fairly new to rc and i was just wondering for a beginning flyer how easy is it to cover a plane? also is it easy to put together a wood kit?
jkid82592 is offline Find More Posts by jkid82592
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by indoruwet
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Nothing is easy, since it is relative. For some people, covering comes easy, for others it is a bear. Personally, I still get wrinkles here and there. It takes time and patience and there are videos that show you how to do it. Have to look for the links.

Is it easy to put together a wood kit ? Same answer here. Maybe it is worth to buy an ARF at a reasonable price. Fly it and then when the time comes you have to fix it. Best way to learn how those things are put together. Peruse some of the build thread and look at the pics.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by crazy plane
United States, MN, Shakopee
Joined Nov 2006
109 Posts
greg, i don't think you will have much of a problem with it but i don't have any experience in that plane. just don't go with a low wing plane at first. get a lot of flight time first on the cessna. you could get somebody to help you in flying this but if you don't, make sure you don't over-control it. you probably already flew it though as i haven't been on this site long
crazy plane is offline Find More Posts by crazy plane
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by madeinuk
When all else fails...
Chatham Ontario Canada
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
I'm new to the hobby (awaiing delivery of my PT40 kit ) and would like to suggest maybe a thread could be started that just contains handy tips for construction.

I just saw a question about applying adhesive.as an example...maybe all the answers to contruction questions could end up in one place..

Just a thought from a newbie.. ( I really enjoy all the content ..thanks everyone )
madeinuk is offline Find More Posts by madeinuk
Old Jan 09, 2007, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by Benzo
I'm clean now, I swear
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Heya All. Another newbie. Cool site.

am also getting a pt40. seems like a good place to start. maybe after 100 hours on my sim... I've got high hopes

I look forward to seein you all around
Benzo is offline Find More Posts by Benzo
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by crazy plane
United States, MN, Shakopee
Joined Nov 2006
109 Posts
i know somebody that constructed a pt60 which is the same thing just bigger. pm mighty duckling. he built this kit. i flew this airplane and it flys great. its landings are awsome but has a long ground roll.
crazy plane is offline Find More Posts by crazy plane
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by Royster
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
949 Posts
Hi
Just got our first glow plane, a second hand Air Power Aviation - Angel Eyes 45.

Did a Google search and found nothing on the plane (its a high wing trainer same as a Boomerang 40), but that s OK as we bought it for a song with an O.S. 46AX motor for $80aus. We plan on putting the motor into another plane down the track.
My son and I have been flying electric for 3 months but have been getting lessons on glow planes at a club we hope to join soon. We liked the idea of being able to fly both fuel and electric.

My question is with this plane is where does the battery for the servos and the receiver go?

I mounted all the servos in OK but I am not quite sure where the other stuff goes. I know there is a fuel tank around so I guess a battery next to it it not a good idea. I think.

Any noob at fuel.
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by jimgee1
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Royster, THe battery goes into the fuselage and is used to help balance the plane at the suggested balance point. If you're tail heavy slide it a little forward, etc. Just make sure it's packed in foam and won't shift during flight.
jimgee1 is offline Find More Posts by jimgee1
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by jimgee1
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Royster, The tank goes behind the firewall as close to the engine as you can get it. Also, pad the tank to keep the fuel from foaming due to vibration.. Foamy fuel will cause your engine to run lean and over heat..
jimgee1 is offline Find More Posts by jimgee1
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Royster
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
949 Posts
Ahh, is that why the foam I thought it was more for crash protection.

Thanks for the heads up!
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by capt hook
Joined Jun 2007
10 Posts
Hello I am new to this hobbie and have no clue on it. I like to watch these RC planes fly been watching for a long time. and figure it's time to get in the air with out hitting the ground to hard . hopefully ..lol..any and all the help I can get would be great ..thank you .....Capt Hook...........(Ron)
capt hook is offline Find More Posts by capt hook
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by grahamruse
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Good day, I recently was given two older planes (maybe10-15 yrs old) I've pulled the engines and cleaned them up. Have a look at the pictures below and let me know if the planes themselves should be scrap or are they safe to fly. Any good suggestions for a good starter remote kit?
Thanks
grahamruse is offline Find More Posts by grahamruse
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by inspired
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
if anyone has the wing plans to midwests aero star
or if anyone knows where i could find them please e-mail them to me
reid_young@sbcglobal.net
inspired is offline Find More Posts by inspired