New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Discussion
Dumas star 30

I am looking for a new model to build and have been intrigued by the STAR 30 . I have built a few model boats and have enjoyed the Tippecanoe models that I have built. I am looking for something a little different. The STAR 30 and in time the STAR 45 look like they might fit the bill.

If any one reading this has built, sailed the boats, please comment . I am interested in how heavy wind and wave tolerant they might be as my sailing takes place mostly at the local beach on the south shore of Lake Ontario . I can always see the CN Tower from my lawn chair as I sail my boats at Municipal Beach.

The images I have seen on the internet remind me of some of my earlier kits from the 60's and 70's .

I am looking forward to your feed back. Thanks
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Pique
United States, MA, Needham
Joined Apr 2013
263 Posts
The dumas star 45 is no longer produced. The kits are hard to come by. I have been looking for one for a while.
Captain Pique is offline Find More Posts by Captain Pique
Old Aug 22, 2014, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by bkopke
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
338 Posts
There are a few threads on RCGroups about the Star30. I have had one for about 20 years and I can say it likes a good breeze. The stock rig is OK but I have updated mine and it sails noticeably better. There is a laser cut frame set for the Star45 at Stevens Aero:

http://www.stevensaero.com/Radio-Con...at-Short-Kits/

It's a scratch build from there but there is a good source of help in the Star45 Yahoo group. The larger boat may be a better choice for Lake Ontario's wind and waves.

Brian
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by slotracer577
Joined Jan 2006
678 Posts
The star 45 can be built from the plans, a short kit, glass kit. there is a building manual available as well. The star 45 handles up to about 20 mph with the A rig if you use an 8 lb bulb. this is available from CPM. they also sell glass kits.

They sail well in waves. I have sailed in a lake that had a 3 mile fetch with 15-20 mph winds. Made for some wet sailing, but the boats handle it just fine.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Thanks Fellows for your replies to my questions. I am hoping to build the Star 30 for my daughter. She loves the Tippecanoe T 27 I built for her older brother and has hinted at one for herself. I thought the Star 30 would be a nice alternative. The Star 45 I would like for myself. I think it would be a fun build and would be close in size to my Tippecanoe T 50. Too bad it is not in production any more. I was hoping to buy the Star 30 at the local hobbie shop. He can get it in but he wants $ 300.00 for it. That is a bit more than the prices listed on line. I would like to deal locally but I am looking else where.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by jimhurley
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
184 Posts
Star 30 price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Windypants View Post
He can get it in but he wants $ 300.00 for it.
It's on sale at the Dumas estore for $180, right now and you probably won't have to pay sales tax either.
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
I just ordred the Star 30 from a Hobby Shop in nearby Burlington. He can have it in his shop in about a week and will arranged delivery is needed. When he said $ 149.99 I immediately said yes !

If any of you that have built and sailed the Star 30 can advise me on sail control servos choices. The manufacturer's advice is the Unit 3702 . To me the open nature of the gear box remindes me of my old Mechano Set. Also the Hitec HS 785 HB winch and the HS 815 BB Mega Arm Servos is recommended.

I am excited about receiving my next build project !
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:25 PM
Joined Jan 2006
678 Posts
We recently did a 36R build that we called the Z36. I have a couple of frame kits if interested. $20 for the frames. We also have a couple of keels left if you need one. I think we were under $200 all in on them including sails and radio. nice sailing boat as well and a super easy build.

You can see building tips for the star 45 on http://star-45.blogspot.com/ Lots of build photos.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Slot Racer

I am committed now for my next project but the 36R / 36 Z sounds interesting.
Do you have photos ?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2006
678 Posts
Here is the link to the thread. Note class rules are posted along with plans. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post24944484
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Slotracer. Thanks, those are very neat pictures and it surely is a pretty cool looking boat. This is one my Dad would have liked. He liked the double ender style, it is just a little different than everything else on the water.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,490 Posts
The Star 45 used to be or still is the class in Ohio (Dayton).I sailed with them couple of times as a guest 15 yrs ago,wonder if they are still active.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
The Star 45 perhaps is in my future. I like the idea of a recognizable class boat to model. I can still remember the Star class boats from my youth spent on the waters on southern Lake Ontario during the 1960's . Now I am foccussing on the 30 inch model I wish to build for my daughter. I think when I present her with the Star 30 her older brother will feel a little threatened with his Tippecanoe T 27. Game on !!!

I am now thinking of approriate radio and servos installation for the Star 30 . I like the short antannea of the 2.4 mgh systems and I am looking at winch vs. long arm sevos for the sail control. I am not even sure of the sail area of the Star 30 . A lot has to be decided yet. FEED BACK PLEASE !
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by bkopke
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
338 Posts
I originally used a Futaba S125 which is long obsolete. Currently I have a 1/4 scale servo that seems to work a little better. An arm winch will require single purchase for the jib and double purchase for the main due to the difference in boom length. Can't comment on the drum winch since I haven't tried one. I use a 2.4GHz radio and haven't experienced any issue. It's my preference since I changes from FM.
Brian
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Thanks Brian

I currently use the 2.4GHz system in my T 37 and T 50 and have not encountered any problems. A while back, on a different forum, one fellow suggested that the 2.4 GHz signal might be impeded by waves as the signal doesn't pass through water. So far, no problems even in rough waters and breaking waves. I like the short antenae and the fact that no other transmitter will affect my boat.

When I purchased the boat( soon to be delivered I hope ) the fellow I was dealing with suggested a drum winch over the arm servos. He said it was easier to set up. Since then , while perusing the Internet, I read some where that the drums on the Dumas winch are small diameter siutable for this size boat. I have wondered though about the different boom and sheet lengths just as you have suggested and at this point am inclined towards the arm servos. Decisions ...decsions !

It's all fun though ! My boat should be at Skycraft in Burlington by next week end. I just can't wait to go and pick it up. I will have a look at winch / servos and radio options then.

Thanks again for your input and advise. It is nice to get experienced information .

Art