Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by joeflier
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2005
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careoseen View Post
Maiden flight of my JetJoe 1400 powered scratch built jet. ]
Your "scratch built jet" looks just like a Reaction 54.
joeflier is offline Find More Posts by joeflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Careoseen
United States, IL, Mt Vernon
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
Yes it I used the basic outline and layout of the reaction 54. Wanted to stay with something I knew had a chance to fly well.
Careoseen is offline Find More Posts by Careoseen
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by dw_crash
Joined May 2004
157 Posts
Good plan.......since the Reaction 54 kit I believe is no longer available. It flies well, I flew one a few years back. Flew like a big old pattern ship.
dw_crash is offline Find More Posts by dw_crash
Old Oct 14, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2003
101 Posts
Don't think Bruce Tharpe would be very happy to hear that his Reaction 54 is out of production! Not true--can still buy them. Just got a wing kit for mine from Bruce early this summer.

http://www.btemodels.com/r54.html
RAMFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
Old Oct 15, 2015, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2004
157 Posts
I stand corrected. My understanding is he sold out and the new Chinese owner.............and it was no more.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
166 Posts
Bruce had been working on a new batch of kits and made them available about a year ago. I bought a kit from him last November, built it over the winter, and have been flying it this season.

Check out his website, they are still available.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Smolka55
United States, MD, Olney
Joined Apr 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeflier View Post
Bruce had been working on a new batch of kits and made them available about a year ago. I bought a kit from him last November, built it over the winter, and have been flying it this season.

Check out his website, they are still available.

Joe - I am considering getting a kit myself and building it. Can you guestiamte the build time and total cost all in (excluding Turbine). I have assembled many ARF's but no real buidling experience beyond repairs to my planes. Trying to decide if I want to build one or try to buy second hand from someone
Smolka55 is online now Find More Posts by Smolka55
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2005
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolka55 View Post
Joe - I am considering getting a kit myself and building it. Can you guestiamte the build time and total cost all in (excluding Turbine). I have assembled many ARF's but no real buidling experience beyond repairs to my planes. Trying to decide if I want to build one or try to buy second hand from someone
I'm the wrong person to answer that question. I made numerous changes and modifications to the original design, so it probably took me twice as long than if I just followed the directions. I got the kit in November, started the build in early December and finished in late April. I took many breaks and was in no hurry. My goal was to be done in the spring.

It's a very complete kit. The parts are all cut out for you. Hardware and fuel tank are included. The instructions are very good and written such that even someone who'd never built a plane before could do it. You'll need to supply covering material, retracts/wheels/brakes, pneumatics, a UAT, radio equipment, and of course a turbine.

I suggest that you read the Reaction 54 thread on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...4-jet-kit.html and check out the retracts and other optiions at BTE's website: http://www.btemodels.com/
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:34 PM
Joined May 2004
157 Posts
Really....to try a jet. There are dozens of ready to fly planes out there at a bargain price. I get on with a known engine, find a club member to help, then go fly. Get the feel of jets and learn how a turbine works on a known airframe and engine.