New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2015, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by RcPro97
Joined Nov 2014
75 Posts
Discussion
Wanting advise.

Hi everyone.
I'm wanting to build a small plane where I can abuse it alot. I want this so that I can hand others the controller, carry it around in a backpack, nose it into the ground, and generally fly like a iddiot. Throw it around. Really abuse it alot.

I was thinking that the best way to to this would be to have a small plane, about 500mm (20 inch) wingspan. Was going to build a flying wing because they are already remarkably tough by design.

I'm not sure what ill use for the foam. EPP is very expensive to import, and still can break when crashed. Foam from a body board is very tough, and if I make the airfoil thick enough, then I might be able to make it without a spar. The idea being just to let the wind flex, instead of snapping spars. Im not sure what type of foam this is called, but I have cut some up and been unable to break/tear it apart with my hands. Hopefully you know the stuff I am talking about. Wondering whether anyone has tried doing something similar to this before.

The last thing I need is a power system, This is what I'm not sure about. What size motor should I be looking at? The battery i will choose later when I have worked out the COG. Im not sure what the final weight will be too.
RcPro97 is offline Find More Posts by RcPro97
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
2,235 Posts
The foam you've got might be EPE or HDPE.
Rusty Mustard is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Old May 28, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
360 Posts
It sounds like you want something like an Alula or Weasel with a motor added. Both are slope planks and are very tough. I would say that EPP is still your best choice for the foam, but it doesn't cost much to try one out of the foam you have and see if it works.

The Weasel: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=weasel

IMO, your foam is probably not going to work without a spar or structural skin arrangement of some sort. Foam that is stiff enough to work on its own will almost always break in a hard crash and foam that is flexible enough to survive the crashes will be too flexible for flight loads.

The problem with an indestructible airplane is that it will also be heavy and that works poorly for the flying part of the equation. Build one light and see how it does, then start working on the durability side of things.

It is impossible to spec a motor without a design weight and performance requirements. Without the motor you can't pick an ESC or battery. You have to make some choices and decisions before you can move forward.

Mark
mmattock is online now Find More Posts by mmattock
Old May 28, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Markran
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcPro97 View Post
EPP is very expensive to import, and still can break when crashed.
The benefit of EPP is not that it doesn't break. It is that it compresses and bends before breaking and is able to return to shape. If it gets over-stressed, it doesn't break like other foams (dent, shatter or crumble), it tears like a piece of paper. It's really easy to glue the torn edges back together, usually you can't even tell where the tear was.

It's substantially different than other RC foams in this unique benefit. The downside is that it's not as rigid as other foams and thus can require structural reinforcement. I love EPP.

(note: you should use a flexible rubber-type glue for repairing EPP. An example would be FoamTac.)
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old May 28, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcPro97 View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm wanting to build a small plane where I can abuse it alot. I want this so that I can hand others the controller, carry it around in a backpack, nose it into the ground, and generally fly like a iddiot. Throw it around. Really abuse it alot.

I was thinking that the best way to to this would be to have a small plane, about 500mm (20 inch) wingspan. Was going to build a flying wing because they are already remarkably tough by design.

I'm not sure what ill use for the foam. EPP is very expensive to import, and still can break when crashed. Foam from a body board is very tough, and if I make the airfoil thick enough, then I might be able to make it without a spar. The idea being just to let the wind flex, instead of snapping spars. Im not sure what type of foam this is called, but I have cut some up and been unable to break/tear it apart with my hands. Hopefully you know the stuff I am talking about. Wondering whether anyone has tried doing something similar to this before.

The last thing I need is a power system, This is what I'm not sure about. What size motor should I be looking at? The battery i will choose later when I have worked out the COG. Im not sure what the final weight will be too.
Do you have access to $1 a sheet Dollar Tree ( Dollarama , Dollar General ) Foam Board ? The advantage of DTFB is it's cheap to make/repair/replace an airframe . A very good plane for taking abuse ( it just cartwheels on the ground - pick it up and toss it in the air again ) is the Simplest Simple Delta . RIDICULOUSLY easy to make ( and remake ) and a very fun flyer ! And not as finicky about CG/pitch as a flying wing .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145562

Here is one made recently by marblekit :

Red Dragon "On Steroids" (2 min 19 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old May 28, 2015, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
115 Posts
Sounds like you are describing wings made by crash test hobbies. They have videos of flying their assasin into a brick wall at full speed again and again. And it just keeps flying. That's what you are looking for right?
Nwtlakes is offline Find More Posts by Nwtlakes