Thanks guys.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by clint mclaugh
United States, FL, Belleview
Joined Jan 2008
299 Posts
sorry to see that video doc. one of the better fliers here killed his 120 inch plane yesterday. he flys IMAC competition so I think he is a good pilot. I bet it was a $5000 plane. oh well they all have an expire date on them
clint mclaugh is offline Find More Posts by clint mclaugh
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,229 Posts
I've got a brand new spare and hope to fly that later today after the rains move out. I'de be pretty cheezed off if I didn't have a Yak now, so I am fortunate to have a good replacement ready to go. It has two or three flight on it and it flies really well. A crash hurts a lot less when you have a good plane to fall back on.

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...-of-fleet.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by Late99
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
254 Posts
I ordered Yak as I needed plane to replace my battered HK Slick 360 (it lost motor mount in knife edge spin). Yak was in some kind of sale at hobby shops in Europe. It will be my first Extreme Flight plane and I'm waiting for it to arrive quite anxiously.

What do you think: I have Savox 255 (16g) servos available and I plan to use them at least for tail. What about ailerons? Is it better to save some weight and use 12g servos or would those Savox 255s be also ok for ailerons?

I will try first Emax GT2820/7 (140g / 850kv) motor with 4S batteries on it. Hopefully it will have enough punch so that I could have a light setup...
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99
Old Jun 25, 2015, 06:57 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,229 Posts
I took my spare Yak out today to put it into service only to discover I had robed the receiver out of it when I built my yellow Laser. Obviously I couldn't fly it like that and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

It sure is nice and shiney.

Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by propchief
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
901 Posts
I did that a couple weeks ago with a CG Electra. It finally dawned on me why it wouldn't bind ... no receiver in there!
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by WADETN
Out of stock-on the best
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
94 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a 48" yak I'm putting back together. I was originally running an Omega 130g on 4S. That motor made it's way into another plane. I currently have three motors laying around and I was wondering if any of these would work in the yak. I will probably try a Torque motor but airplane funds are a little dry right now.

Here's what I've got.

Turnigy SK3 3548-700kv
NTM 3548-900kv
Tacon Bigfoot 25 2826-870kv
WADETN is online now Find More Posts by WADETN
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by Luv3d
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
2,108 Posts
I think on 4s, the TACON is your only option. 900kv is too high and 700kv too low.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jun 29, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by wkener2
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2010
429 Posts
Well, I had another HS-65MG lock up in mid-flight, this time an aileron

I will re-build my 48" Yak, but this time I am going to upgrade to HS-5070MH servos. Gonna cost $160, but hopefully I will save $$ in future airframes

I am already using the ZTW Gecko 65 amp ESC which can provide up to 8.4v for the servos and has been a great ESC for me... hundreds of flights with no issues.
wkener2 is online now Find More Posts by wkener2
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:01 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkener2 View Post

I will re-build my 48" Yak, but this time I am going to upgrade to HS-5070MH servos. Gonna cost $160, but hopefully I will save $$ in future airframes
You will find that the 5070MH is so tall that you will have to really space it out, or it will bottom out against the inside of the fuselage. It's a great servo, but it is also a little bit tall in some applications.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:05 PM
Joined Jul 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You will find that the 5070MH is so tall that you will have to really space it out, or it will bottom out against the inside of the fuselage. It's a great servo, but it is also a little bit tall in some applications.
Doc,

Yes, I saw your posts on that, seemed like it was the rudder that was the biggest problem? Saw a post from another guy that got one into his Yak rudder pocket no problem, weird
Old Jun 29, 2015, 06:15 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,229 Posts
Post some pictures if you can make it work. I couldn't.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:31 PM
Joined Jul 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Post some pictures if you can make it work. I couldn't.
It was just the rudder that you had a problem with, right? I guess if I had to I could move my HS-85MG from the elevator to the rudder and put HS-5070MH's in the elevator and two ailerons, but then I would have to run everything on 6v and would not be getting the benefit of the HV servos...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkener2 View Post
I guess if I had to I could move my HS-85MG from the elevator to the rudder and put HS-5070MH's in the elevator and two ailerons, but then I would have to run everything on 6v and would not be getting the benefit of the HV servos...
Don't try to reinvent the airframe. If you just set it up like the manual says it will be great. You can fly this plane on HS65MGs all the way around, including the elevator. That's how my first Yak was set up.

Some of us use the HS85 on the elevator, but it is not strictly necessary. I like the 85 because it is very durable.

I don't think you need wunder servos for this plane, simply because mine have been so lively on the garden variety 6 volt Hitec servos. I think this plane is responsive enough that I don't want faster servos for it.

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this one here yet................

Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,629 Posts
DocA you can send me the old 70 c packs. I would do my best to wear them out.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman