New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:31 PM
larry baraniuk is offline
Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
605 Posts
Weight Comparison

Here's a comparison of the weight of the lead ballast ,motor , speed controller. and excess metal that has a total weight of 5.00 ounces that will be replaced by the higher powered motor and 30 Amp ESC that has a total weight of 5.05 ounces.
The stock 3 cell 1300 mah battery is only 10 C that weighs 3.8 ounces and will be replaced by a 30 C - 3 cell 1300 mah battery weighing 3.9 oz. The motor and speed contoller upgrade cost $ 40 (including shipping).
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 01, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2015, 11:20 PM
larry baraniuk is offline
Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
605 Posts
Upgrade completed and Flies Very Well

The AUW is 33.25 ounces.
I glassed the main wing and put on 2 1/4" Du - Bro wheels.
With an 8 X 3.8 sf prop , I'm drawing 26 amps on a 3 cell , 1300 mah 30 C battery.
My E- meter showed 260 watts output.
My test flight lasted 5 minutes , mostly in cruise mode half throttle and a short burst of full throttle to perform a hammerhead maneuver.
The total flight used up 940 mah.
I'm very satisfied with the results.
Hope to get many flights out of this plane.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:59 AM
Rem Fodder is online now
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Rem Fodder's Avatar
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,373 Posts
If I can give you a little tip, the landing gear wire will pop out of the plastic fairings with a hard landing and bend the wire up. Using some very fine wire, I use wire sold for fly tying from a tackle store, lace the gear wire to the plastic fairing. Works wonders, I posted a photo someways back in the thread. I'm up way over 350 flights on my old Cub. Now she is on floats permanently. I still like to fly to fly it occasionally, its a fun little aircraft and for the most part is pretty docile. Just keep the speed up during low altitude turns as it will tip stall in the original configuration without any wing washout. A 9" prop will also give a much needed thrust boost, the ground clearance is sufficient with the larger wheels for a bigger prop. I use a 10 x 5 for float flying. Even with that prop, the 1500 mah packs can give a 10 minute flight with capacity to spare. Have fun!
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:54 AM
larry baraniuk is offline
Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
If I can give you a little tip, the landing gear wire will pop out of the plastic fairings with a hard landing and bend the wire up. Using some very fine wire, I use wire sold for fly tying from a tackle store, lace the gear wire to the plastic fairing. Works wonders, I posted a photo someways back in the thread. I'm up way over 350 flights on my old Cub. Now she is on floats permanently. I still like to fly to fly it occasionally, its a fun little aircraft and for the most part is pretty docile. Just keep the speed up during low altitude turns as it will tip stall in the original configuration without any wing washout. A 9" prop will also give a much needed thrust boost, the ground clearance is sufficient with the larger wheels for a bigger prop. I use a 10 x 5 for float flying. Even with that prop, the 1500 mah packs can give a 10 minute flight with capacity to spare. Have fun!
That's great advice, Thanks! My .46 size Hangar 9 Cub has tip stall characteristics also , so I'm used to watching out for that.
I might add some washout on this little cub later on.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:15 PM
justinf307 is online now
Find More Posts by justinf307
Registered User
United States, WY, Glenrock
Joined Apr 2015
25 Posts
Anyone try dual aileron servos? I just finished putting mine together this evening and it seems the ailerons have a lot of slack. It already has the servo horns so it doesnt seem like it would be too hard to carve out a mount for them.
justinf307 is online now Find More Posts by justinf307
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:09 PM
justinf307 is online now
Find More Posts by justinf307
Registered User
United States, WY, Glenrock
Joined Apr 2015
25 Posts
Took my cub out for its maiden today!
It was a little bit to windy but I couldn't help myself. In all honesty it was my first complete take off to landing successful flight. I've been working on teaching myself to fly with an older Great Planes Mini super sportster, but it had an unfortunate incident with a tree. I just couldn't make myself get a real trainer that didnt look scale, so I ended up with with the Cub. I dont have any clubs or fields that arent at least a 30 min drive, so this cub is a great size for the areas I have local. The Cub handled great after getting it mostly trimmed I cruised around making at least 6 or 7 aborted landing approaches before settling down for a decent landing.
justinf307 is online now Find More Posts by justinf307
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:25 PM
ory69 is offline
Find More Posts by ory69
....left up, right down !!!
ory69's Avatar
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf307 View Post
Took my cub out for its maiden today!
It was a little bit to windy but I couldn't help myself. In all honesty it was my first complete take off to landing successful flight. I've been working on teaching myself to fly with an older Great Planes Mini super sportster, but it had an unfortunate incident with a tree. I just couldn't make myself get a real trainer that didnt look scale, so I ended up with with the Cub. I dont have any clubs or fields that arent at least a 30 min drive, so this cub is a great size for the areas I have local. The Cub handled great after getting it mostly trimmed I cruised around making at least 6 or 7 aborted landing approaches before settling down for a decent landing.
Congratulations, Justin! Welcome to the rewarding, and often challenging world of R/C flying.
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 04:41 AM
Gary John is offline
Find More Posts by Gary John
Registered User
United States, MN, Markville
Joined May 2014
14 Posts
Justin, the FZ Cub is a great plane and flys very well right out of the box. Other than 2" Dubro' tires mine is bone stock and has logged well over 500 landings. I still like to fly it even after adding the FZ Beaver, PZ T-28, PZ-47, and PZ Corsair to the hanger.
Gary John is offline Find More Posts by Gary John
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:11 AM
justinf307 is online now
Find More Posts by justinf307
Registered User
United States, WY, Glenrock
Joined Apr 2015
25 Posts
Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub RTF Review

Thanks! I can see this being a very addicting hobby. I've been fascinated by rc planes since I was a kid, but just now getting a chance to fly.
Some of the reviews of the cub and its quirks had me worried, but so far I'm finding it to be a pretty easy to fly plane. I took it out this morning and put a couple packs through it before the wind came up. I spent one of the packs just taking of and landing which help quite a bit.
justinf307 is online now Find More Posts by justinf307
Last edited by justinf307; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 PM
deadzone is offline
Find More Posts by deadzone
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf307 View Post
Thanks! I can see this being a very addicting hobby. I've been fascinated by rc planes since I was a kid, but just now getting a chance to fly.
Some of the reviews of the cub and its quirks had me worried, but so far I'm finding it to be a pretty easy to fly plane. I took it out this morning and put a couple packs through it before the wind came up. I spent one of the packs just taking of and landing which help quite a bit.
Yeah if flies okay in calm, but any kind of wind just magnifies the instability. That said, any Cub is especially challenging to land in wind. But if you can master this plane you will feel like an expert pilot when fly more stable planes.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:54 PM
larry baraniuk is offline
Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
605 Posts
I agree that this plane is unstable in high winds but because of that, I also found that it helps to sharpen your flying skills. It's a great harming up plane to start off a flying day .
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Hobby Lobby eRC 90mm F/A 18E Super Hornet EDF Bajora Foamy EDFs 91 Feb 20, 2015 01:21 PM
New Product Hobbico Flyzone Select Scale "Super Cub" coming soon! guapoman2000 Parkflyers 274 Jun 17, 2011 04:03 PM