SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2014, 06:57 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Build Log
Wilmot Frog IV Interceptor

I've been scratching around for a candidate for BBCC5, and every time I think I've found one, I discover that there's 8 build logs of 4 configurations, and 2 sequels of the bird.......HARRUMPF!, HARRUMPF!

So, I started looking down through the list of airplanes in the Flight Global Archives tome compiled by Lord Librarian Terrell and found this little girl. It's apparent she was a 1930's rubber powered kit of a fantasy fighter aircraft, but there doesn't seem to be any drawings other than the 3-view and a picture of a squadron of them.........to that end I've developed a set for a 60" version (approximately 1/8 of the "proposed" scale).

I really like her, but...(there's always a "but"), I think she looks better as a parasol with spoked wheels than as a shoulder wing with smooth rims........sooooo, I developed a set of drawings for both variants. If the BBCC 5 executive committee allows it, I'm going to build the parasol version ......see attached

Note: I revised the drawings.....Tail feathers are now built-up...she was a bit butt heavy with those platters of balsa for the stab and fin.

I'm going to revise the drawings again to reflect smaller ailerons and a relocated undercarriage, and probably a little thinner fuse.....its wider than 4".....

Revised Drawings 6/16/2014 to reflect changes from above
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Jun 16, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Wilmot Frog Mk-IV Interceptor

Predicted Flight Characteristics based on:

3 degrees AOI

43 oz AUW (though all the birds I've built so far of this size have come in at between 32 - 36 oz range)

Clark-Y - 11.7% at 28% chord/3.4% camber at 42% chord

25.66 FPS will generate 43 oz of lift
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Jun 09, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
24" WS Foam Glider Version

Got my foam cutter out this morning......plus a couple of Dollar Tree Foam plates.

I'll mount the wings tomorrow probably
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:17 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Test Glider

Miniature version of the Mk-IV. Test flight this morning when it quits raining. Indicated CG shown......we'll see

May get the cutting wire back out and mount the wing in its shoulder position...add some light weight (cardboard) wheels and undercarriage
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Jun 10, 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Test flights of glider

I finally flew something I built !
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
On pause right now

The Wilmot will be my candidate for BBCC5........which won't start until September....so this build log is on pause until then
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:14 PM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Nov 2013
166 Posts
nice! i like the parasol idea.
lukes221 is offline Find More Posts by lukes221
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:02 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Very cool idea, there is in fact, a double size (stick and tissue/rubber powered) plan of the original ARF Frog Interceptor / Frog fighter.

The original came in a box that doubled as a winding stooge and storage, Inside the box there was a small bottle of winding lube for the rubber and the handle to wind it. The wings were plugged into the fuse after winding and off it went. I would guess the wingspan at 10". I bought him another for his 70th birthday but asked him not to fly it given what they cost.

My father had one as a boy however he foolishly flew it from a headland in Sydney Harbour and you can guess the rest of that story. I bought him another for his 70th birthday but asked him not to fly it given what they cost.

Somewhere I have the 2X plans, I think it was in Aeromodeller around 15 to 18 years ago. It was definitely an English model mag.

There is also the RCM plan for electric RC at around 46"

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Last edited by McGiver; Jul 23, 2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typos galore
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Luke,

Thank you so much.....also working on resurrecting the Fane AOP.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post28823311

Any ideas or suggestions are certainly welcome
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Jul 23, 2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
McGiver,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the color picture.....that will help immensely with the color scheme........have to look at RCM for the plans......

Thanks again

O_P
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:19 AM
Canada, ON, Lindsay
Joined Nov 2013
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
Luke,

Thank you so much.....also working on resurrecting the Fane AOP.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post28823311

Any ideas or suggestions are certainly welcome
I was following that build for the most part yes. It also looks very unique. i planes that arent around much. Its refreshing to go to a field or event and see different planes for a change

So from this and the Fane build your method from what i see is you build a foam version just to test and then build the balsa version?
lukes221 is offline Find More Posts by lukes221
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes221 View Post
So from this and the Fane build your method from what i see is you build a foam version just to test and then build the balsa version?
For an airplane to qualify for a BBCC, it has to be "converted" from one form of control to another....and since the Fane has never been kitted as a model in any flight configuration, I had to build something to "convert" to RC.....also, I didn't know anything about either plane's CG, AOI, Thrust angles, decalage, and the like, I built the gliders just to get some idea of what those numbers and positions might be.

I'll probably build both for BBCC 5, just not concurrently......and that won't start until September...still tweaking the drawings right now
Old Aug 03, 2014, 04:29 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,968 Posts
My older brother had one in the '60s and I was insanely jealous of him. If flew but not as well as we expected.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Aug 03, 2014, 01:13 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,941 Posts
IIRC, Chris Golds did a large one for E-power. It was published in QEFI about a year or two ago.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel