HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:47 AM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Discussion
Finwing Penguin,Zipher II, or TBS Caipirinha for my first fps setup?

Hi everyone,

I've been flying large nitro helis, and scale warbirds for some time. Recently I've been working on a next level Quad setup for FPS. But now it's time to try a plane setup for stable fps and fast fun flights involving fast low passes and long video flight times. In my search I've narrowed my choices down to either The TBS Caipirinha, the Finwing Universeye’s Penguin V2 OR The Ritewing Zipher II

I know this is a stretch, but Has anyone flown all of these or a combination and could let me know, if they could buy one all over again..."First" which would it be? I like the size of the TBS wing, but the Penguin can be easily taken apart. I've never flown a wing before so I can't really compare the flight characteristics or handling. I Really like how the Zipher is stable and premolded, The Penguin seems to be pre-setup to fit any FPV gear I need , nice and neatly...but the nose kind of looks ugly to me. lol Lots, of ifs and buts, I know... So I'm just looking for any input for those that have flown these 2 platforms. Oh and for those that have flown the Penguin, Is there a preferred motor to get more speed and performance, I think what's holding me back on this one is that its really a slow flier. How large of a motor can the penguin fit?

That's all! help sway or make my decision harder please!
cswann821 is offline Find More Posts by cswann821
Last edited by cswann821; Jun 07, 2013 at 03:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2013, 10:51 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,842 Posts
edit....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Yesterday at 02:31 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Oh man, I looked up the RVJet and It looks sweet, and has the room for FPV. Do you know if the white foam is laminated? If not can it be/should it be? With this foam, what kind of paint works the best? I was thinking of painting it brighter colors to help see it better in non fpv flights.

What would you recommend as the optimal power house to really make the jet perform? What are you using?

Thanks for introducing me to it!

REading REading reading!
Old Jun 07, 2013, 12:19 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,842 Posts
edit....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:48 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,861 Posts
I would choose the Caipirinha of those planes for sure. But even cheaper would be a SwiftII/Popwing/Teksumo EPP wing. Same size, but lower cost. All of these are HIGHLY crash resistant, and fun to fly via FPV.

The Z2, RVJ, Penguin, SW are all larger, more fragile, more difficult to launch and a LOT MORE $$$

I have a Z2, Penguin, and about 20 other FPV planes. I fly my Teksumo more than any of them, by a long shot. Fits in any car or on my backpack. Plane is like $250 including full FPV and an HD camera. Once it broke in half when I nosed in at WOT. Glued it back together on the flying field and flew it 20 minutes later. Delta wing handles wind great. Can land it anywhere on anything - no runway needed. 2200 battery is cheap, charges fast, but lasts up to 30 minutes in my Tek. Can dive, do proximity, aerobatics, or just ride thermals with eagles all day. The Caipirinha is in the same vein as this Teksumo, but is also set up for carrying a GoPro, which I think is freaking awesome.

The other planes have their pluses, though. I would have bought the RVJ if I didn't already have a Techpod. But these planes are for a different purpose. Not just throw&go during lunchtime.

$0.02
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 07, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 02:06 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,396 Posts
The Penguin requires little work to get that to hold all the FPV gear you need and can do lots with it. Hand launch or rolling takeoffs. It tracks great in flight and the best we've had in formation flying, and you can do some basic aerobatics with them using a nice power combo:

All around that's a great setup for a lot of FPV fun:
GSTV - "Penguin" - FPV Power Combo Flown (1 min 46 sec)

Wings are cool, but harder to launch compared to the Penguin and generally you need to do a fair amount of extra work to get them going FPV ready. I doubt unless you get a really large wing you'll match the flight time of the Penguin... but anythings possible I support (well to a point
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Jun 07, 2013, 03:22 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,861 Posts
yeah OK can't beat Penguin with its wheels for ease of launch (off ground). The Z2 and X8 can be a tough nut to conquer esp if the build isn't done carefully. But the 3 foot wings are dead easy to launch.

I am just thinking for a first FPV plane, better to start with something cheap and simple and highly crash resistant. Least hassle, easy build, low cost. I wish I had started with the Teksumo, but the larger planes I have do things the little wings can't do. If those special things are what you want to do as a beginner, than there ya go... maybe a larger plane like a Penguin is in order.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Good points everyone. As you can see , it's a hard choice between the three I am looking at. I'm not to concerned about being able to fly what i choose. I have lots of experiance flying, im more worried about picking my fpv gear. But as of now I'm sold with the RV jet. It has a nice amount of room for fpv gear. Size was mentioned, and the rvjet has the options of changing out the wings to short or long so I have the choice between speed and agility or stability. The issue I have with the penguin is its canopy. Seems most sent useing it and if you do , it causes drag durring tight turns.

I'm going to give it a week to decide though . I'm still trying to decide what and were to buy for my first basic av rx/tx gear. I know I'm going with a gopro, and ill be flying with a Futaba 9ch radio with 2.4 Fasst... Or I can switch it back to 72mhz. None the less right now I am thinking of starting with 1.3 ghz for my av rx/tx . I just don't know who to buy the gear from with soooo many brands and reviews. being new I don't think ill be going out more than a mile.

Can anyone just make my life easier and tell me what av rx and tx ,monitor , and antennas to get lol.

Thanks again!
Last edited by cswann821; Jun 07, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 04:57 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
IF you chose the RVJET then there should be an option to use either black or red plastic parts. For the purpose of high visibility maybe white with red parts would be a good choice?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
849 Posts
For your first FPV craft, I would avoid the RVJET. It is more advanced and definitely not going to survive if you crash, which you probably will on a first fpv plane. Same with the Penguin. The ZII is probably more likely to survive a crash, but is a much more advanced plane to fly, and especially launch. Personally, I would go with the Caipirihna. It is very survivable in crashes due to it being epp foam and low weight. It is easy to launch and land and does not cost as much as the other options so if you do total it you won't be out a thousand dollar.
Hmerly is offline Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:32 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann821 View Post
Can anyone just make my life easier and tell me what av rx and tx ,monitor , and antennas to get lol.
Man, these are questions that each take up massive threads on RCG and FPVLAB
. There is NO simple answer to them.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
As a precautionary measure then, I'll take others advise and fly the RVjet without TPnose and use the foam insert flying line of site first to get use to flying her. I was also going to get my son a nice neat Assassin from crash testers, I could always test my FPV gear on that or one of my Nitro planes. Sounds like a plan.
Last edited by cswann821; Jun 07, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 06:44 AM
United Kingdom, Weaverham
Joined Feb 2010
194 Posts
why not try a bixler or easy star, they both fly well ,are very easy to launch and cheap. No way would I start with a Z2 (superb wing but hard to lauch and they fly fast) , I have a caipi and penguin and they are both superb but I satrted on an easy star and dont regret it as i crashed it several times(quite rhobust)
wiggysk10 is offline Find More Posts by wiggysk10
Old Jun 08, 2013, 06:44 AM
United Kingdom, Weaverham
Joined Feb 2010
194 Posts
Not tried the rv jet , I have a blcak one in a box and will build soon ( quality is superb)
wiggysk10 is offline Find More Posts by wiggysk10
Old Jun 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Everyone is talking about durability. I started flying on Depron models and learned very fast so I don't think durability is the most important factor. I actually recommend start flying on Depron models you build yourself since then you get to know the models all components and build. Personally I never recommend RET-trainers because frankly I think they're too hard to fly and give a false sense of control. I know several that has learned flying building my Ugglan design.

The RVJET is a both simple plane to fly and surprisingly durable. EPP and EPO are two different with their each pros and cons. The EPP is more flexible and needsa lot of added rigidity to work well and is also heavier. EPO is less flexible, cracks more easy, but it is a lot more rigid and doesn't need much added rigidity. The RVJET has been designed for EPO.

Oh yes, since I'm one of the RVJET designers I am of course biased...
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo