HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Question
What is the best slow flying Vapor replacement airframe?

I've got an original Vapor that has seen it's last flights. I'd like to get something different, but use all the stock gear.

I really like all the Stevens aero kits, but I'm looking for something floaty, like the vapor originally was.

I can't seem to find any threads that list all the different replacement airframes available.

Besides the StevensAero stuff, what else is available?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
I can't think of much that would be as floaty as the Vapor.. Try searching for 'gymetto',
If you want a replacement original Vapor airframe, I believe they still carry the parts at wholesaletrains.com.

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Mountain Models makes some good stuff. Check out the SpookE micro.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
StevensAero's Liddle Bug takes the Vapor gear and motor. Not as floaty as the Vapor, but still a nice, slow, delight to fly!
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
The Ember 2 is fantastic
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
722 Posts
What about the Night Vapor.. its about 16gms or the Flyzone Uberlites... selling for like 50 bucks on Tower Hobbies!
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I had my vapor down to 11g. I've flown my dad's night vapor, and it flies like a pig in comparison. I may just end up sourcing NOS Vapor parts.

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:31 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I had my vapor down to 11g. I've flown my dad's night vapor, and it flies like a pig in comparison. I may just end up sourcing NOS Vapor parts.

Thanks guys.
11G! How'd you do that?
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
No landing gear front or rear, no battery holder, no nosecone. Recovered the main wing, and trimmed out some of the wing's arch support. 70mah battery...and something else. I'll have to dig it up to figure it out.

Most of it was broken at some point, and it was decided it was better to just leave the stuff off, that to make the plane heavier by trying to repair stuff. Now that I write that, the other thing done to save some nose weight was a nose dive from about 50 feet. It mashed the gearbox where it mounts to the fuse, but didn't mess up the gearbox at all. I ran a few wraps of Kevlar thread around the motor itself and the fuse stick. A few tiny drops of CA and it's tougher than ever. The hunk of plastic that got cut off to make the motor sit flush was .3g, and I lost a few tiny bits in the street. I don't think the little bit of thread and CA weight that much.

Keep in mind, this was a regular old-school vapor, not a night vapor.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
So, I stopped by my local flying field this morning. I've not been out there in 6 moths or so. I talked to a FB that's a UM nut. Aside from a huge fleet of UMs from various manufacturers, I think he only has a Slow Stick. Anyways, he had the "floppy fuze" issue with an Ember, and said he fixed it by wicking thin CA into the fuse. I think I might try that later today.

In reading back over my post, and thinking about the mods I've done, I'm thinking the 11g AUW is wrong, I think it might be 11g without the battery.

I'll re-weight the plane before and after, with and without battery, and let you know what it is.