Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Whether some want to admit it, or not, the back flip method is a viable way to start an engine.

I have never witnessed where it resulted in damage to an engine, let alone blowing the head off of one.
Tom,

I think it is obvious that I was not referrring to back flips.
I was highlighting the flooding.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
>
>
>
>
This is just too funny, keep up the good work and keep flying. BTW I couldn't get my PAW diesel to start so I better go change the glow plug and leave you fellows alone.
I am laughing my head off

Zor
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I haven't heard of anybody doing it but it would be neat if we could get modified cams for our four strokes. Then we could experment with cams, carbs, compression, and tuned pipes to get the max HP and Torque we need for our particular altitude, humidity, and temps at the flying field.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
I haven't heard of anybody doing it but it would be neat if we could get modified cams for our four strokes. Then we could experment with cams, carbs, compression, and tuned pipes to get the max HP and Torque we need for our particular altitude, humidity, and temps at the flying field.

We can _ _ _

Just do it ourselves.
The main problem is the fast variations in humidity and temperatures.

If one is designed for 25 C (77 F) and 50% relative humidity we may have to wait for these conditions to test it.

_ _ _

Zor

P.S.: Can you imagine what someone did to my diesel engines ?
The daring and guts that someone has _ _ _ The glow plugs have all been replaced by a screw with a T bar. How did they dare do that to me ? It is not fair. How the heck am I going to run these engines now ?

Last edited by Zor; Feb 19, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Quote:
P.S.: Can you imagine what someone did to my diesel engines ?
The daring and guts that someone has _ _ _ The glow plugs have all been replaced by a screw with a T bar. How did they dare do that to me ? It is not fair. How the heck am I going to run these engines now ?
Same problem! I can't wait to catch those sneeky little ******

Engine mods are a pain but end result is a blast. I have a Zenoa 26cc which I change the port timing and enlarged the ports by hand. I cheated on the clynder, I made a holding fixture and used the mill to take .003in off the base to raise compression. All that and a water cooled tuned pipe caused me to build another boat that could handle it. And to think I quit racing RC boats 6 months later and went back to my planes.

Now if I could only build a reliable four stroke diesel
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,605 Posts
"And to think I quit racing RC boats 6 months later and went back to my planes."

There is something that gets boring going round and round in ovals:-)))))))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Only when practicing. But when openned up in the straights it is kind of a rush like a fast, low level pass with a pattern plane.

Now that I live where I pretty much have to fly alone I have been gradually going back to slower planes.

Probably will eng up flying gliders so I can challenge myself thermaling. But I love my engines! I could build a 2 stroke motor glider, that would be cool.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,605 Posts
"Only when practicing. But when openned up in the straights it is kind of a rush like a fast, low level pass with a pattern plane."

Unless you are going up wind with a Hydro. The models do the same thing the real one's do:-((((((((

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Only when practicing. But when openned up in the straights it is kind of a rush like a fast, low level pass with a pattern plane.

Now that I live where I pretty much have to fly alone I have been gradually going back to slower planes.

Probably will eng up flying gliders so I can challenge myself thermaling. But I love my engines! I could build a 2 stroke motor glider, that would be cool.
before electrics stopped sucking tons of people flew .049/.051 powered gliders. you built a little pod and the rubber bands that strapped the wing down held the pod on also.

our club competitions had a rule of 2oz of fuel for .049's or a 1 oz for .051's. the .051's would climb out (at very very very little forward airspeed) around 40-45*. the .049's would run more than twice as long, climb higher, but you had to wallow around slowly climbing b/c they had no vertical.
pretty fun. no piddling with high starts, everyone can launch the same time, same direction & small space. everyone gets the same climb & the planes are lighter than electrics (at the expense of a little drag from the motor pod. which isn't *that* much)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:26 AM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,766 Posts
Actually , the 90 size four strokes are a VERY popular range. The Saitos from .80 to 1.00 are among their best sellers. The YS .91 was also a great selling engine. Yes, YS did increase the displacement when the tooling wore out .

I have pretty much put all of my old school 2 strokes on the shelf in favor of the four strokes. Don't fly a lot at WOT and the four stroke's wide power band , transition , easy fuel consumption are just added benefits to the more comfortable sound .

BW, The YS 91AC is the by far the easiest engine I have ever started using the back-flip starting method . Usually started on the first attempt and settled into a beautiful , steady idle.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Last edited by Gary Cee; Mar 27, 2012 at 06:34 AM.