New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2016, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Other question is... in the manual for Mix 1 it states: ELE UP- Flaps down 1mm and ELE Down- Flaps Up .5mm. In this Flaps Up scenario(ELE Down) is one actually setting the flaps into a spoiler position of up .5mm? This is what I would assume...

Thanks guys!! Cheers- Adam
Yes is the simple answer, but I'm only using the 'down flap-up elevator' mix on a switch to act as snap flap for tighter turns and loops when required (ie, showing off! )
With regard to measuring the control throws, I did measure mine in the centre of the control surfaces, but I don't think it makes much difference for general sport flying.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2016, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by abjets
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Thanks Ben- Yeah, I will be holding of on playing with the mixes until I get comfortable with her, but as I am currently setting up all of the throws, etc. figured I might as well program in the options and tweak as I go :-) Cheers!
abjets is online now Find More Posts by abjets
Old Jan 30, 2016, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
WHAT A FANTASTIC little bird! A great maiden...and loving the flexibility of the set up and mixes available with the dual AIL's (Love my first Gen Rifle...but limited with control surface movements) Certainly felt the need for more ELE authority on landing...but she did slow nicely with the flaps.
May try to mix in a little less down ELE for full flaps in the landing mode and see if that helps. Otherwise a BLAST! Knees were quivering the whole time :-)
Cheers and thanks for the help!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,581 Posts
Congrats on a good maiden flight, but what set up are you using?
This has to be the best pylon racer in its class and the Voodoo still gets my blood pressure up, even with many flights under my belt!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jan 31, 2016, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Thanks Ben! I guess I should have added the details...I was busy charging batts for another stelar day at the field :-)

Running a DX8...I set up my Flight Modes for...
Flight Mode 0: (T/O and LNDG)100% rates 40% Expo for AIL (UP 3.5mm and DN 2mm Differential measured at root) and ELE(3mm UP and 2.5mm DN)
Flight Mode 1: (LR Cruise) 80% rates on AIL and ELE, 30% Expo for AIL and ELE, with Mix 1 from the manual (Camber mix )
Flight Mode 2: (High speed) 65% rates on AIL and 65% rates on70% ELE. 30% Expo for AIL and ELE, with Mix 1 from the manual Camber mix ) plus a reflex mix of AIL's up 1/2mm max proportionally starting at THR from 80% to 100%.

Also set up my FLAP switch for...
0: no flaps
1: T/O Flaps 3mm Flaps and about .75mm DN on ELE
2: LNDG Flaps 4mm Flaps and just under 1mm DN on ELE

CG: @ 41
Aircraft weight: 302g BEW + 2S 1300 @ 78g = AUW of 380g
- Mega 16/15/2
- 5x5" CF folding propeller
- D-47s servos in the wing
- Futaba 3154 on elevator
- CC Phoenix 60a esc (relocated BEC)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,396 Posts
Can anyone share balance position and throws for the voodoo? I have an ESP mini coming and i understand they come without documentation. They are the same airframe, right?
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Can anyone share balance position and throws for the voodoo? I have an ESP mini coming and i understand they come without documentation. They are the same airframe, right?
They are not the same airframe...maybe a knock off of the same design? Tread with caution if you are going to use the same set up info as the Voodoo...especially when it comes to CG.
If you look one post before yours I just added how I have my Voodoo set up...and if you search this thread there is a manual for the Voodoo...but again, I know the aircraft you are talking about and surprised that HK doesn't even supply a manual for the set up of it. Sort of silly as it is pretty critical with these style aircraft...fast, small throws and a small acceptable CG envelope. Otherwise a short lived bird...oh wait...maybe that is why HK doesn't have a manual for it :-)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2000
1,396 Posts
I'll be converting this to glow power, it won't be heavy or have the power that a hot brushless will. I have flown a lot of airplanes of this type and not knowing the throws isn't that scary to me, but getting the CG wrong is a risk I don't want to gamble with. I test flew a voodoo with a Neu motor in it and about 3x the elevator it needed to make proper pylon turns, that was do-able, I hate to think what it would be like with and aft cg.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
I'll be converting this to glow power, it won't be heavy or have the power that a hot brushless will. I have flown a lot of airplanes of this type and not knowing the throws isn't that scary to me, but getting the CG wrong is a risk I don't want to gamble with. I test flew a voodoo with a Neu motor in it and about 3x the elevator it needed to make proper pylon turns, that was do-able, I hate to think what it would be like with and aft cg.
Agreed...the correct CG is the critical one to have...
Have you tried searching RCGroups for any threads on your bird?
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2000
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Agreed...the correct CG is the critical one to have...
Have you tried searching RCGroups for any threads on your bird?
Nothing out there at all. I'm getting mine used, IMO, HK is asking too much for them, the price is high enough that most guys would pay the extra to have the real deal. For me it was cheap enough used to justify putting a nasty 1/2a in to have a sub 8oz ball of hate that the Feds can choke on.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by jb&theboys
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Just bought a voodoo from hyperflight. Great service ordered it on the 3 had it at my door on the morning of the 8 (UK to Canada) Well packaged. Voodoo is very nicely made and well thought out design. I think you could have this plane ready to fly in the time it takes the glue to cure for the wing servos.

I have a mega 16/ 15/ 3 , 4 cells, 4.1x4.1, d60 servos for the wing but do not have anything for the elevator servo that fits, any suggestion on what servo to use for it?

John
jb&theboys is online now Find More Posts by jb&theboys
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Welcome to Voodoo ownership!!
I purchased mine used and it has a Futaba 3154 on elevator...I have no complaints about it. Not much throw is needed and it seems to center very well, with no slop...
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by jb&theboys
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Excellent. I can get futaba at my LHS. I generally use hitec servos so i am not familiar with futaba stuff. Will get a couple of those ordered up.

Thanks
John
jb&theboys is online now Find More Posts by jb&theboys
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by nokk
Australia, QLD, Camp Hill
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Hi Abjets,

i fly the HK espmini at 35mmCG. have a Voodoo coming now too.
nokk is offline Find More Posts by nokk
Old Mar 01, 2016, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokk View Post
Hi Abjets,

i fly the HK espmini at 35mmCG. have a Voodoo coming now too.
The Voodoo is a wonderful bird to fly! Hope you like it!