Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by cmwhite
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Discussion
Hobie Tales

I'm a hobie nut, love the hobie.
Got my first one about 40 years ago, still have most of it, the wings are broke beyond repair. But the rest is all still flyable today.

I love hobie threads, thought I would start a new one, to share your hobie experience, good or bad.
Are there any people on groups that worked on the hobie, I think there use to be a few that finished and covered wings.
How about any that painted original fuses.
If so chime in with any story you have.
I want to know all things Hobie Hawk

Here's my latest, about 3 years ago I bought 2 hobies from a guy, one a virgin , the other was just wings and fuse. the fuse had been cut into for servos and such, but did not show any signs of being flown. And no holes for canopy screws
A few weeks ago I decided to use this fuse with my current wings and tail.
Made some new pushrods up, repaired servo holes the were way to big for what I was going to use .
Long story short I mounted the tail surfaces then I saw what was wrong .
The tail did not line up with the wing, it was about 20 degrees to the right. Too far off for heat to fix...I had found why this had never flown...always check alignment
before installing radio! Had to replace dorsal.

Anyway tell me and others your Hobie Tale
cmwhite is online now Find More Posts by cmwhite
Last edited by cmwhite; Aug 14, 2015 at 02:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Canopy tint

The old way of tinting a canopy with Rit powder dye will no longer work with most plastics.

But there is a new dye out by Rit call Rit Dye More
Here is a sample of 2 canopies I did yesterday in less that 5 min at 160 degrees solution.
For more info on this visit V1VrV2's blog

I will post color results of this new dye as I use it
The red is racing red
The blue is sapphire blue
I must say this dye works great but must be hot 150 to 160 degrees
Last edited by cmwhite; Jul 25, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by bob57hdt
Life was good
Joined Jul 2008
454 Posts
Great news. My efforts posted on the Katie Martin Tribute thread showed how my blue canopy turned out brown. I could not find the powder so I used Navy Blue liquid and it did not work. Thanks for researching and finding this new Rit dye.
Bob
bob57hdt is offline Find More Posts by bob57hdt
Old Jul 26, 2015, 01:14 AM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Rit dye

All the research was done by Tony. I did do some hunting and found a full stock at Hobby lobby in my area, this is brand new stuff and may or may not be in your area.
Curt
Last edited by cmwhite; Jul 26, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:14 AM
Life was good
Joined Jul 2008
454 Posts
If you have ever owned a Hobie Hawk, you have had an adventure or two. My first encounter with a Hobie Hawk was in the summer of 1974 or maybe 1975 when my wife wanted a sailplane. We had flown U-control and had graduated to RC but she saw and liked the quiet graceful sailplanes she saw at the Rose Bowl. I did not want to build a sailplane and saw the ad for the Hobie Hawk......
I bought it for her and it came covered but no radio. I bought a radio system for it and installed it. My local hobby shop suggested we test fly it on a slope. The day came for the maiden flight and the hobby shop owner told me to throw if off the hill...I was new to slope flying and did not want to chase it down the hill but I threw off anyway. Oh Crap, or something similar came out of his mouth....the rudder is backwards. The plane survived, we corrected the rudder and we fly that same Hobie Hawk every year in the Katie Martin Tribute at Torrey Pines 40 years later.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
United States, PA, Nesquehoning
Joined Dec 2003
647 Posts
Hello:

Thanks for the RIT DYE tip!!!!

I've been making canopies for the airtronics ships, (Aqulia, Grand Esprit, and my AstroJeff for many years until most PETg producers added a "special non-scratch coating to the surface" Dupont #30 or some such nonsense. Bubble pacs for small toys on cardboard need non-scratch covers.

Again thanks for the new info on RIT Dye!!!!!

cheers
Jim

[QUOTE=cmwhite;32252111]The old way of tinting a canopy with Rit powder dye will no longer work with most plastics.
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Chocolate Brown?

Yes that is one of the colors of the new dye...I thought for sure it would turn some other color...Purple or bluish, but no it is dark brown...would make a nice smoked out canopy
Last edited by cmwhite; Jul 26, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Samples

Graphite, I like it would make a great smoked canopy.
Peacock Green, more like Teal.
Apricot Orange, I like this one and it will match monokote.
Daffodil Yellow, Found dye hard to work with, had to do a double to get it to dye.
Last edited by cmwhite; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 05:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Great Story Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt View Post
If you have ever owned a Hobie Hawk, you have had an adventure or two. My first encounter with a Hobie Hawk was in the summer of 1974 or maybe 1975 when my wife wanted a sailplane. We had flown U-control and had graduated to RC but she saw and liked the quiet graceful sailplanes she saw at the Rose Bowl. I did not want to build a sailplane and saw the ad for the Hobie Hawk......
I bought it for her and it came covered but no radio. I bought a radio system for it and installed it. My local hobby shop suggested we test fly it on a slope. The day came for the maiden flight and the hobby shop owner told me to throw if off the hill...I was new to slope flying and did not want to chase it down the hill but I threw off anyway. Oh Crap, or something similar came out of his mouth....the rudder is backwards. The plane survived, we corrected the rudder and we fly that same Hobie Hawk every year in the Katie Martin Tribute at Torrey Pines 40 years later.

That's what I was looking for, users to share their Hobie experience, good or bad.
It is amazing how much radios have changed...in the 70's did they even sell a radio with servo reverse?
You probably had to put the horn on the other side or flip the whole servo 180.
I was always getting my ailerons backwards on my power stuff, and it usually did not end well
One of your comments brings me to a question. As you are flying a 40 year old Hobie as a lot of people are.
Bob, as one that actually made the plane, how long will a Hobie hold up?
Is there any special care we can give these rare planes?

Curt
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by toro
balsa butcher extraordinaire
Joined Jan 2005
483 Posts
Great thread Curt... I as you know have been a hobie enthusiast ever since I was a little guy. My dad got a hobie in 1978 for his 40th birthday. He essentially learned to fly on that as the flying ice chest (spirit of 76) hobby shack glider showed him that he indeed had the RC bug. I vaguely remember going to a hobbyshop in Brea Ca, somewhere, and seeing one on the ceiling, and my mom picking up my dads ARTF Hobie there. We spent lots and lots of summer evenings up in the hills of Orange County in Brea at a slope called "high and dry" . I remember the sky filled with these, and I remember my dad making a friend named Terry Beech. Not sure where he is today, but my Dad and him were very close. He helped my dad build his hobie, and set it up, and my dad flew that Hobie from 1978 until 1992 when it finally became unflyable as it gained so much weight with epoxy and plywood repairs, and the airframe wasn't true anymore. Well, flash forward 32 years. I am a fan of vintage RC. SOS, OLYMPIC, WANDERER, BOT, etc..etc.etc... I figured how cool would it be if I were to pick up a hobie, and have a day with my pops and I back on the slope flying a hobie hawk. Well, Curt had seen a post in one of the pages, and offered up a pristine hobie for my taking. I absolutely snapped it up, and got her RTF. Well she flew today for the first time in my hands, and its just as I remember it, just as majestic as 1980, still as awesome and smooth in the air, and unmistakeable from a distance. I love em' and I know there are so many more better flying airplanes out there, but they don't have the class, and sex appeal of a Hawk. I LOVE MY HOBIE HAWK (S) ... does anyone remember that sticker ?
toro is offline Find More Posts by toro
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:00 PM
Life was good
Joined Jul 2008
454 Posts
Like the youngsters of today that think PC's, cell phones, tablets, iWatches etc were around forever, I remember the 5 radio channels we shared with each other, Kraft servos had a red dot on them if they were reversed, brick RS radios in the original Hobie's. Servos were giant compared to today. Many micro servos have as much or more torque as standard servos of the 70's, receivers were very large too. I entered the RC part of the hobby early in the proportional age...before that there was all kinds of Random Control units, some built at home in kits.
HOW LONG WILL A HOBIE LAST? Good question. If the covering is exposed to UV, it will get brittle over time and recovering is required, as I did with Katie's original. So baring serious crashes that are not repairable, if you take good care of them, you might consider putting them in your will!

Bob
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by toro
Joined Jan 2005
483 Posts
I remember the color frequencies... red and white, blue white, purple white, yellow white, green white, orange and white. I think... We were red and white.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:11 AM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Nostalgia

Red dots on Kraft servos...I bet I still have some in the garage!

Toro
Great to hear you put the Hobie to good use ...like I told you it was the first one I've ever sold...guess I'm a hoarder ...no make that I know I'm a hoarder

Curt
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by toro
Joined Jan 2005
483 Posts
Curt, That yellow (ish) canopy I got with the Hobie, can that be dyed ? I tried it, and couldnt get it to take.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro View Post
Curt, That yellow (ish) canopy I got with the Hobie, can that be dyed ? I tried it, and couldnt get it to take.
I'm not sure...I think that was an original that had started to turn yellowish
What kind of dye did you try?

This new stuff Rit dye more might.
If not you can send V1VrV2 a pm he makes and sells canopies