Old Jan 25, 2014, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
13,968 Posts
I recently crashed my PZ foamy SR-10 beyond repair due to a bad elevator servo. Maidened my Sig 1/6 J-3 with great success. Finishing a Maxford Gee Bee E, and setting up and re-programming my Tritile Stinson SR-7 on my new Hitec Aurora 9/Optima system. Oh yeah I have the same old Sterling SR-8 kit in the shed, it's in the queue.

Good luck with the maiden of your SR-8 Aaron.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2014, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by 4075aaron
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,483 Posts
That is too bad about you PZ Stinson! I loved mine and sold it only because I wanted to get out of electrics. Sounds like you are keeping busy! When you build your Sterling kit, let us know and post pictures!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Sep 17, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,757 Posts
Does anyone have a flight report for this model?
Thanks,
Vic
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,483 Posts
I stopped posting on RC Groups because there are too many adolescents running amok without proper adult supervision. Which is too bad, because there are some great people here who have helped me with my builds.

I have in fact flown mine. Twice. It is under powered and takes a lot to auger into the air. Not very relaxing to fly either...it always feels like it is going to stall. This is most likely because I built it heavy. As long as all you want to do is slow flying with large, well thought-out turns (scale flying), you will be happy.

With mine, I cannot bring the throttle back past 3/4's or it will start to drop, fast.

On the second flight, I came down harder than I wanted (again, I was not managing the throttle properly because it is so sensitive to drops in throttle). At first I didn't think I did any damage to it, but after careful inspection I found that the wooden push rod linking the rudder servo to the rudder snapped. When building, I had reservations about using the wooden push rods as shown in the kit, but went with them anyway. I should not have done that with the tech available today!

I failed to build into the plane adequate access to the rudder servo. I might be able to replace it, but it will not be easy. I could just cut into the belly and get at it, but I am not too keen on replacing covering and re-painting.

Right now she is a hanger queen! I have since moved on to other kits.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Don't fear the reaper
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
5,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
I stopped posting on RC Groups because there are too many adolescents running amok without proper adult supervision. Which is too bad, because there are some great people here who have helped me with my builds.
I'm sorry to hear this. I went through the same thing here a while back and then decided it was THEIR problem, not mine, so returned to posting here on RCG. The idiots went away of their own accord or maybe had some help from the moderators

In any case, where do you frequent now?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A letter from my Senator.....
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,483 Posts
Hi Ken, good to hear from you! I still follow a bunch of builds here, but I spend more time reading RCScalebuilders. I have not started a build thread there yet. I have not built anything really scale in some time. I finished the Taylorcraft which was fairly scaled out (for a sport plane, which flies fantastically and has become my favorite plane to fly), but then built a couple of gliders (easy to fly them when you live in the mountains of Western Maryland!) and even a couple of boats.

I am planning on getting back into planes this winter. Most likely will build a Fly Baby biplane next.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
Bellanca Kruesmaster
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
12,582 Posts
You are always welcome here, Aaron, and being a Marylander, you are doubly welcome !

I get trampled on once in a while, and I've grown to like it- at least I have their attention..............

You can count on the fingers of one hand the guys that are just here for the 'mistakes'......

The only way to not make mistakes, is to not do anything....what kind of a hobby is that ?

So go ahead- build two left wings..I won't say anything................
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Everything OLD is New...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
1,123 Posts
I built two left sides on my first RC - a Midwest Astromite. Since then, I've collected enough parts for three of them. You learn quick when you screw up.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:40 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,757 Posts
Quote:
I have in fact flown mine. Twice. It is under powered and takes a lot to auger into the air. Not very relaxing to fly either...it always feels like it is going to stall. This is most likely because I built it heavy. As long as all you want to do is slow flying with large, well thought-out turns (scale flying), you will be happy.

With mine, I cannot bring the throttle back past 3/4's or it will start to drop, fast.

Right now she is a hanger queen! I have since moved on to other kits.
Aaron, what did you use for motor power - electric or glow? What size motor or engine?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:38 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,483 Posts
An Evo 52 glow. It was the biggest glow that I felt comfortable putting on the plane. It is supposed to be able to fly with a .40...maybe if built lighter than mine!

I added a lot of detail, plus Solartex, plus spray painted. I do not have a paint gun and used Rustoleum spray cans. The colors turned out great, but being that this was my first attempt at painting, I may have put too many coats on, increasing the weight.

Regarding two left wings...it is easy to build this wing upside down!
Old Oct 02, 2015, 06:09 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,757 Posts
Quote:
An Evo 52 glow. It was the biggest glow that I felt comfortable putting on the plane. It is supposed to be able to fly with a .40...maybe if built lighter than mine!

I added a lot of detail, plus Solartex, plus spray painted. I do not have a paint gun and used Rustoleum spray cans. The colors turned out great, but being that this was my first attempt at painting, I may have put too many coats on, increasing the weight.

Regarding two left wings...it is easy to build this wing upside down!
I love this plane and also plan to detail out the cockpit. However, I am very concerned about the flight characteristics and may just postpone building this one until more flight reports are posted. The Staggerwing (Sterling Kit) is currently on the bench and I have the same concerns about it.
Old Oct 02, 2015, 03:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,483 Posts
Let me know how the Staggerwing kit goes! I seriously thought about picking one up. I enjoyed the Stinson build and love how the D17 looks. Feel free to post some pictures!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
13,968 Posts
The Reliant can be a docile easy flying scale model if built light and properly set up with CG , power, and thrust angles with no warps . The gull wing has no evil tendencies. The wheels should be toed in slightly. It's a scale tail-dragger so you will need to use well timed and gentle right-rudder nudges. If you have flaps, use only a few degrees for takeoffs and a little more for landings after practicing at some altitude. Note how more or less throttle affects tendency to balloon with flaps and be ready with gentle down elevator to transition from take-off angle level cruising flight. Keep climb angles moderate to avoid stalls with flaps. Reliants don't need flaps for takeoffs or landings but they are interesting to practice with after you are proficient at flying the model. Short nosed models like this can be pitch sensitive so don't fly tail-heavy and keep elevator throws moderate.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Nov 04, 2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction don't fly : "tail-heavy"