Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Module dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokeu
Hello!
First post here on this great forum.

I would like to equip my Multiplex Cockipit MM tranqmitter with the X8D Assan Hack module.
Therefore I need the exact dimensions (WxLxH, preferably in millimeters) of the module to find the most suitable location inside the Cockpit MM housing.

Can anyone check the dimensions and inform me?
Thanks!
See first post of this thread - dimensions are there
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Last edited by Lead Wings; Feb 25, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2 Posts
JR rf module pinout

Hi all
I was given two assan JR modules 2.4g ( not the hack units ) .I have 4 radios all JR but without modules. .I wanted to try to see if it could work as a hack modules so i installed one in a JR S400 that we use as a buddy box for testing.Well it worked perfect .I took it out of the case soldered three wires on the board connector . From the top down looking at it from the back these are the pins i used
1) modulation ( 8.5 volts )
2) did not use ( 6.5 volts )
3) Vcc + volts from battery
4) Ground
5) did not use ( antenna )
Bottom
So i used pin 1,3,and 4 and some heatshrink tube i use on my 30 size heli blades and mounted it under the RF board with D.S tape and tywraps .Also got some antennas from Himodel.com .Got them in 4 days .It works great .Did not think about posting it here so i did not take any pics .I will take some when i transfer it to my other radio .
See you ............
grayloop is offline Find More Posts by grayloop
Last edited by grayloop; Feb 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:57 AM
To Build? or Build Another?
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
Hey Guys

I have the Assan X8D module and I plugged it into my Futaba 7C. Everything works great except for the throttle. it seems that the throttle reaches 100% on the motor at half stick. no matter what settings I tampered with.. it simply wont have any speed control beyond half stick upwards....HELP! maybe I really dont know the computer on that thing well enough and it is something in the settings... Has anyone encountered this?

thanks

Aside from that it works great. Feels good to just go to the field and fly like a champ without the worrying of "whos on my channel?"
genetix is offline Find More Posts by genetix
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:19 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,279 Posts
Silly question, yet just how do we know or find out to use these?

Such has, if I had a Hitec, Airtronics Vision or whatever, for all the boards are so different.

I just recieved a hack unit for a Traxxis Tq3, but all instructions were included as to where on the board to solder and such. Works great, just need to fiquire out if I can hack a third channel too, yet that is another board.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetix
Hey Guys

I have the Assan X8D module and I plugged it into my Futaba 7C. Everything works great except for the throttle. it seems that the throttle reaches 100% on the motor at half stick. no matter what settings I tampered with.. it simply wont have any speed control beyond half stick upwards....HELP! maybe I really dont know the computer on that thing well enough and it is something in the settings... Has anyone encountered this?

thanks

Aside from that it works great. Feels good to just go to the field and fly like a champ without the worrying of "whos on my channel?"

Try to recalibrate the range for you esc. What type of esc are you using. Some of them you can recalibrate by giving full throttle before turning on the rx (with the tx already on, of course). When the esc beeps twice, pull the throttle stick all the way down. Your esc may be different. Btw, make sure you have your tx endpoints for the throttle set to 100% both ways before doint this.

Warning! After doing this, TURN OFF THE RX AND THEN TURN IT ON again with the throttle in the low position, or you will have a fail-safe condition of FULL THROTTLE should anything bad happen, like losing the signal.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:55 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys

thanks

Another suggestion is plug a servo into your throttle channel and your ESC into another channel (so it is providing power). Then move the throttle around and see how the servo behaves.

If the servo is following the stick properly, it is your ESC - as mentioned by genetix you may need to recalibrate your ESC.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls
Silly question, yet just how do we know or find out to use these?

Such has, if I had a Hitec, Airtronics Vision or whatever, for all the boards are so different.

I just recieved a hack unit for a Traxxis Tq3, but all instructions were included as to where on the board to solder and such. Works great, just need to fiquire out if I can hack a third channel too, yet that is another board.

Jared
Jared, while these hacks are not hard, you need to know your way around electronics a bit to know/find what wires to cut and also need to have an idea of how a Tx works (ie the different bits that make up the system between your thumbs and aerial).

As for putting a third channel on, anything currently going out the FM aerial should now go out the 2.4 GHz - so not sure what you are asking.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,279 Posts
Hi,
I know my basic way around electronics, buy no engineer here. Just hoping to find some basic way of fiquring this out on the many TX's most of us have, as each board is quite differenct.

The land radio, TQ2 is a stock Traxxis Revo TX that was easy. The TQ3 is the same radio, but with a third channel, and hope to just add to the main board. But, this is a car question and have not found it yet.

Thanks,

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
Thanks for the great tips ill try those this weekend and post the results. I havent thought of trying a servo on that channel, great idea... shows you how open minded I am I guess... lol

Im using a kms 30A, Hobby city 25A (x2) and a 40A super simple esc (which over heats like crazy on my 3000kv btw, dont trust it on high rpms or it will light fire...)
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:21 PM
Portugal
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Hi.
I noticed that the 8XD Assan module works very well in parkflyers or small models due to range issue, +/- 800meters, I wonder if using other modules by Assan for example connecting then on directly on the trainer socket would work also, for instance the X8U, or the X8J , X8F, I belive those are full range modules.
Best regards
Flyer
RC_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC_Flyer
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:22 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Actually, I think the range for all the modules are the same. What range you get depends more on the rx used.

chewy
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:09 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
I madened a fully scrath built, no plans, an "I need something to put all these spare electronics into and have lots of off size foam peices laying around" project today. Flew great and more so, flew far! I was worried a bit about the range myslef and also the seemless difference with how the servos move between the 72mhz and the assan module. I first I thought it was slower and more sluggish but once I got it in the air and trimmed... The difference was clear. MUCH more responsive than previously.

Thanks for the recommendations. In the end I ended up recalibrating the esc like chewtym said. Works great now
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:16 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Actually, I think the range for all the modules are the same. What range you get depends more on the rx used.

chewy
I agree - everything I have read suggests the modules are the same, it's the Rx's that may make a difference - and even then no-one has found positive proof that there is a difference between them.

There is a whole thread on the performance of the system:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723343

I suggest this conversation belongs there. This thread is really how to hack different models of radios (though I respect RC_flyers comment was about using the other modules plugged into the trainer port - which is a fine idea).
Old Mar 03, 2009, 03:06 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
I first I thought it was slower and more sluggish but once I got it in the air and trimmed... The difference was clear. MUCH more responsive than previously.
Hmm.

How could a system, that samples PPM on one side and converts back at the other side (therefore causing minor changes and delay) be BETTER than just transmitting PPM analog through the air, unchanged and without delay? You can see, that there _is_ some change/delay on the ground when moving slowly. Don't understand me wrong, I don't think this will be noticable very much in flight! But I have no Idea, how it could be BETTER with this hack!?

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Mar 03, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Maybe he was using PCM before?

chewy