Footys wars!! builders Battle.

We have in no particular order.

Heron Composites, Laja
Scale sailing ,Kittiwake.
Victor Models, V12
GoSpectre, 507
Sparkman Micro Marine, BearFoot
Dennis Deprois,American Footy

Others I belive are Tooling up to build these amazing little boats,The Footy class is growing fast and builders everywhere see a Future.

Who will win the battle of the kit builders? Is there room for them all?
when will we see the first mass marketed Chinese/Asian model?

What will shakeout when all these models meet on the racecourse? or will the One offs appearing from the drawing boards of the class faithful prevail?

More questions than answers right now.
micro sailor is offline Find More Posts by micro sailor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2007, 03:50 AM
Canada
Joined Jan 2007
208 Posts
is there a battle?
nigelpheron is offline Find More Posts by nigelpheron
Old May 31, 2007, 08:40 AM
UK Footy Class Secretary
Joined Aug 2006
342 Posts
I agree with what Nigel is implyinng - we're talking about expanding the market, not expanding maket share for a week or so yet!
Angus R is offline Find More Posts by Angus R
Old May 31, 2007, 12:13 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
The market has so many different aspects that I believe there will be enough room for anyone who wants to stick at it. Also footys are so cheap that an enthusiast is likely to own a number of different manufacturers products, a very different situation than the $1000 1 Metre. Woodies, glassies, vaccies... we have a nice mix developing for all tastes.

I for one will be here for the long haul, I have been actively designing/manufacturing model kits for 10 years now. That means selling a good number each week, I guess I should have all of my ducks in a row by now. In the aircraft business I saw many dramatic start-ups fizzle within the year, that's just the way it is and is just as likely to happen here.

I do wish everyone on that list the very best because if we can all make it to three years (the key year they say) the footy world will be the better for it.

Cheers everyone....

Graham
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
Old May 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
In a Worldwide marketplace*, there is surely enough of a customer base to keep afloat ( please pardon the pun ) a half-a-dozen Footy model yacht production companies...?
* = essentially what we have, with the internet and PayPal...

I am sure there is room for other modellers to get on board... ( Oh dear - another one... ) and still eek out a meagre income.

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old May 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
no war here!! think we all just want to get people sailing and share the joy of sailing!!!
i have only been delivering model yachts since 1996 (we dont call it selling , but more helping owners take on a new baby boat!!), but the footys seem a way to get more kids into sailing, keep more adults that are sailing and give enjoyment to heaps of people!!!
as a low volume builder there are always issues, shall see how the footys go, as long as it doesnt cut into my sailing time too much!!!
Andrew
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old May 31, 2007, 10:12 PM
SteveNYC
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Flatulence). It is temporarily hidden while SteveNYC edits it.
Old Jun 01, 2007, 01:12 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Quote:
gospectredotcom advised
we dont call it selling , but more helping owners take on a new baby boat
Quote:
and added
the footys seem a way to get more kids into sailing, keep more adults that are sailing and give enjoyment to heaps of people
You don't call it "selling", Andrew...?

I assume therefore, that there is no initial charge for the kits ?
Yours is a service - a charge is levied for that, later ?

I'll take one on those terms, please !

Keven.

( PS - Of course Akela exists - I made her - as an experiment !!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658136 )
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Jun 01, 2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2007, 02:28 AM
micro yacht nut.....
Joined Dec 2004
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNYC
Brett-MicroSailor-Pls contact me. scmah174(at)AOL.
Would like to discuss hulls that never got here.
You of course have my e mail address Steve.

Since you bring this up on a public forum I will answer you here as this an obvious attempt to discredit me.

Steve I sent your boats to the address you supplied ( Your Sisters Church I belive)on no less than 3 occasions as you are well aware. The NZ post office tells me the packages made it to the USA on all 3 occasions,what has happened when the parcels are given to US Post I have no control of nor does my carrier ,NZ Post.
I belive the problem could be the lead(bulbs) in the shipments to New York,since 9.11 this seems to have been a problem when shipping from Obscure places like New Zealand which many of your Countrymen don't even know exist!

I am out of pocket 2 lots of the product and 2 lots of Shipping and handling.I cannot recover these expenses and have no proof that you never received any of these shipments.
Do I just keep sending product until you say you have them.
micro sailor is offline Find More Posts by micro sailor
Closed Thread