HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:20 AM
If it flies, I like it.
Thailand, Sing Buri, In Buri
Joined May 2012
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
I'm in the process of moving to Thailand.will most probably live in Bangkok.what is the 3d schene like there?any clubs you guys can help me out with?how strict are they with flying in parks or open fields.I fly mostly 3d and can in no way give up my flying when I go over.some help and tips on this will be greatly appreciated

If you could specify exact location in bangkok, that would help. There are soo many in thailand.

Btw. 3d... heli? Plane? foam? gas? flat 3d?
mongdex is offline Find More Posts by mongdex
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:22 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thailazer View Post
You'll find that small foam 3D ships are very popular here. You can fly virtually anywhere. A Thai friend of mine flew a plane right through bleachers full of school kids last year at a demonstration day. Quite a risk but he was good... something you would never see in the USA. I'll let others in Bangkok answer about clubs.
That's good to hear.i like my foamies,but prefer balsa 3d planes,but hey foamies are wicked fun.I take atleast one foamie out to the club everytime I go flying.It's not 100 confirmed that I'll go to Bangkok,but most likely that's where I'll go.Only going over in Nov,but wanna get some info so long so I can get something to fly once I'm there.it's my therapy
How easy is it to bring in orders from the likes of HK ect?
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:24 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongdex View Post
If you could specify exact location in bangkok, that would help. There are soo many in thailand.

Btw. 3d... heli? Plane? foam? gas? flat 3d?
planes,mostly electric.fly alot of EPP planes and PA
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
That's good to hear.i like my foamies,but prefer balsa 3d planes,but hey foamies are wicked fun.I take atleast one foamie out to the club everytime I go flying.It's not 100 confirmed that I'll go to Bangkok,but most likely that's where I'll go.Only going over in Nov,but wanna get some info so long so I can get something to fly once I'm there.it's my therapy
How easy is it to bring in orders from the likes of HK ect?
There are lots of great shops in BKK where you should be able to find anything you need. Not sure about HK, but I have ordered stuff from the USA and have had to pay duties up to 150% of the value of the order. (60 dollars of stuff, 100 dollars of duty.) They have you under a barrel when you go to pick up a package that has been assessed.
thailazer is offline Find More Posts by thailazer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Jees that's quite hectic.I've obviously been misinformed as I was told it's really cheap to bring stuff in.well if there are shops then that's awsome.What's their prices like?Atleast I can go to malaisia and go fly with the mafia those guys are just too awsome
Old Sep 05, 2013, 03:17 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-maulicino View Post
hi to all

anybody coming out here wife hunting,fishing ect ect even flying give me a look up might be of use to you,,,,im living in the northeast at udon thani
Do you know any Hobby shop or other supplier that stocks Piano Wire?

Looking for 1.5mm and 5mm in 1 meter lengths for my scratch builds.

MartyPetriSr@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Marty
mbpetri is offline Find More Posts by mbpetri
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Marty.... Not sure where you are at but in Chiang Mai and even Mae Taeng you can find piano wire and thicker rod at your local hardware stores. Very common here. There is a shop in Chiang Mai not far from the moat that handles brass and aluminum as well as steel.
Old May 04, 2014, 06:00 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Well I found a good shop in Bangkok that doesn't gouge your eyes out on each order after several really bad experiences. Stay away from Bangkok Hobby, he is 3-400% overpriced to farangs.

The good shop is ABC Hobby,
EMS anywhere in Thailand, good prices and the women that runs the shop speaks very good English.
She also went out of her way to find some materials for me, after I described what is was used for, Micro Balloons.

Also, in Chang Mai, CM Laser Services, if you need some stuff laser cut.

I am in need of Lightweight Spackle, if anyone has a source in Thailand.
Thanks,
Marty
Last edited by mbpetri; May 04, 2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old May 04, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Marty.. Nice to see some activity here. Regarding filler, I use the acrylic stuff you can buy at HomePro. Not quite as light as microballoons, but it works great. Once it dries, it is surprisingly light. I can send an image if you are unfamiliar with it.

Thanks for the reference on ABC hobby. I have used Nonthaburi Hobby in the past with great success as well, so keep them on your radar.
Old May 04, 2014, 06:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Also..... What kind of files are you sending to the laser cutter? Really curious on that as I would love to get some parts made for projects.
Old May 04, 2014, 06:53 AM
If it flies, I like it.
Thailand, Sing Buri, In Buri
Joined May 2012
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpetri View Post
Well I found a good shop in Bangkok that doesn't gouge your eyes out on each order after several really bad experiences. Stay away from Bangkok Hobby, he is 3-400% overpriced to farangs.

The good shop is ABC Hobby,
EMS anywhere in Thailand, good prices and the women that runs the shop speaks very good English.
She also went out of her way to find some materials for me, after I described what is was used for, Micro Balloons.

Also, in Chang Mai, CM Laser Services, if you need some stuff laser cut.

I am in need of Lightweight Spackle, if anyone has a source in Thailand.
Thanks,
Marty

been ordering there for years

owner is nice.
mongdex is offline Find More Posts by mongdex
Old May 04, 2014, 06:50 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Marty.. Nice to see some activity here. Regarding filler, I use the acrylic stuff you can buy at HomePro. Not quite as light as microballoons, but it works great. Once it dries, it is surprisingly light. I can send an image if you are unfamiliar with it.

Thanks for the reference on ABC hobby. I have used Nonthaburi Hobby in the past with great success as well, so keep them on your radar.
Yes an image would be helpful.

Thanks,
Marty
Old May 04, 2014, 06:57 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Also..... What kind of files are you sending to the laser cutter? Really curious on that as I would love to get some parts made for projects.
He needs the final to be Illustrator, but I send him DXF, which he loads in Corel, exports to Illustrator and then has to do a fair amount of cleanup.

I did my 50% version of a Foamie Hog Bipe, both foam and ply were laser cut, but the damn thing still crashed after a few flights.

Mr Dumb Thumb
Marty
Old May 04, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Here is the Acrylic Filler I use. It is quite good and don't let the weight of the container scare you as it is quite wet and the fluid evaporates. Final weight is not super light but it is very strong, not brittle, and sands nicely. Home Pro has it near the paint section.

Thanks for the info on the laser cutter.
Old May 04, 2014, 08:40 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
So this should be available at TOA Hardware stores also?

Never saw it there.

Thanks for the images.

Wondering .... mix this stuff with micro balloons and Talcum powder, then thin it some with water? hmmm.

Marty