HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:25 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,469 Posts
Wow! That is some nice work!

Can you get the nose/tail holes any smaller? I usually end up with 1" circle patch or smaller. You probably need room to pull it inside out. It might be easier to leave a side seam open (under the planned gondola?) to pull through so you can construct the nose/tail more intact.

How are you filling it btw? I'd like to know how far it will go before popping too!
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
Here's another method I came up with for patching the end holes. I put a cardboard disk inside and then use it to pull the film around and isolate the hole. This was easier than the outside mask method. The holes are about 2" at the nose and around 1.5" at the tail. The main problem with the patches not sitting symmetrically has to do with the gores not being aligned perfectly. If I put more effort into getting them all aligned better I think I could get better results. I should also shrink that internal disk to match the size of the patch. In the picture I'm using an oversized disk.

I'm using an air compressor to fill the envelope. There's no real fill valve in the envelope, just a reinforced hole with a piece of packing tape over it to seal it.
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
I've noticed a new type of multi-gore foil party balloon on the market starting to appear in the stores, so I bought one to study it. The seams for all four gores meet at a single point without any kind of disk patch like a beachball has. The fill valve also has all four gores coming together. I'll have to study this valve a little more once I can get it away from the kids, but it looks like they are still using the flat reed type seal method. The seams are remarkably wrinkle free compared with two piece foil balloons, even given the tight radius of curvature. Seam width is extremely small, less than 1/16" wide. Pressure tolerance is pretty impressive- I took a tightly filled balloon out of a 72F store into a 95F outside heat and the thing got tight as a drum but never popped. The product name is Anagram Orbz. Very impressive!
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught