HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined May 2010
430 Posts
Video
VertiKUL UAV Explores Practicalities of Delivery Drones

VertiKUL UAV Explores Practicalities of Delivery Drones article here:

VertiKUL - Transitioning VTOL UAV for automated aerial transport (2 min 30 sec)
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,011 Posts
It seems to fly at a very high angle of attack in forward flight. It's hard to imagine that the wing isn't stalled. I wonder if it is ever really getting into forward flight? I don't see any aerodynamic control surfaces, elevons, which makes me wonder if is stable or really capable of forward flight. I am guessing that they might have some control problems when it begins to fly fully on the wing.

These sorts of tail sitter VTOL, another one being the Quadshot, don't do well in the wind for takeoff and landing. At the warehouse end they could fly into a sheltered space for package pickup. There is no such option for package drop-off. They might eject the cargo and never really touch down, but that could be hard on the cargo. They can also hover wing tip into the wind which helps a bit, but the wing tip plates make that strategy less effective. If it were to tip over on landing, then it would not be able to takeoff again. A standard multicopter (quad, hex, etc.) is far more tolerant of wind than this design can ever be.

In the swirling winds around buildings the yaw stability (roll stability from an airplane perspective) would often be overwhelmed. I see they have tilted the motors to help somewhat with this issue. If the controller is smart enough it can be yaw compliant (allow yaw to vary as needed) and then hold station with pitch and roll.

This whole UAV delivery thing is still in the gimmic stage.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,857 Posts
I imagine it would still use differential thrust once on the wing for control, at least for pitch and yaw. Probably dihedral and/or sweep for yaw/roll coupling. In any case that thing can't be practical with fixed pitch props.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:37 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
I agree with Brandano on the thrust controls only; I've done the same on my Jump Jet project with no control surfaces in forward flight.

You don't even need to change the roll/yaw for forward flight. With enough sweep or dihedral ( they have dihedral tips) a roll input from the stick creates yaw (in forward flight) that becomes roll due to the dihedral tips.

My concern about no control surfaces on the wing is that there is no control in the case of a dead stick landing, ie if motor power is lost due to lvc or other reason. My jump Jet flew OK with9ut control surfaces, but it flew better with them added.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined May 2010
430 Posts
I noticed in the video at the 59 second mark the outward thrust angles of all 4 motors. This thrust angle does not appear to be setup to counter yaw, rather with differential thrust from the motors it would induce roll control via wing dihedral, and also create divergents for heading control ...........maybe??

What do you fellows thinks about this offset?
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Last edited by corocopter; Aug 23, 2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added clarity to the idea
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:54 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corocopter View Post
I noticed in the video at the 59 second mark the outward thrust angles of all 4 motors. This thrust angle does not appear to be setup to counter yaw, rather with differential thrust from the motors it would induce roll control via wing dihedral, and also create divergents for heading control ...........maybe??

What do you fellows thinks about this offset?
I agree with you, I think the thrust offset is to enhance roll in forward flight via the yaw/roll coupling provided by the dihedral winglets.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather