SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:11 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,205 Posts
Discussion
3 Axis Gyro Units?

I have just built Tom’s excellent Crane Fly and am happy to say that after a slight mis-hap on the first outing (I will learn to look at the pictures properly one day) I have had 2 very enjoyable flights on it. I also did Al’s Monotwirl which once again caused some headaches but now flies.

The reason that I wanted to fly an Auto Gyro was that I figured that it would be a challenge to fly and I do find them ‘interesting’ on the sticks.

However, given that they CAN have stability problems and be susceptible to changes in speed, pitch e.t.c. I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the new breed of inexpensive 3 Axis Gyros?

I use one in a helicopter and it works fine, in fact, if you go onto the Mini Helicopter thread thousands of people are having great success. The new influx of Multi Rotor models are also making great progress in the use of 3 Axis Gyros which has probably speeded up their development to a point which they have now ‘come of age’.

A 3 Axis Gyro can happily be used in for just 2 functions although connecting the rudder may also have advantages and the gain/ throw can be adjusted from 0 to 100 so you can tune in as little or as much ‘correction’ as you need and getting into the P,I and D values allow you to pretty much fine tune anything but you still retain full control. Despite what some people say they do work fine with analogue servos, in this configuration they may not keep a helicopter nailed to the spot but they would work fine for this application, the unit will certainly sense movement and correct it far faster than the human eye to stick reaction time.

I think personally that it would be cheating and have no desire to fit one but for around $ 40.00 some of you guys with more intricate (read expensive here) models may benefit or ‘less experienced’ pilots who maybe have not developed their reactions as far as others.

Only posted this because in nearly every thread for every type of aircraft someone is playing with these things but I have not seen them mentioned in connection with Auto Gyros.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:20 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,793 Posts
I tried the H/King orange MK 2....Not convinced that It was of any help....in fact the rudder was all over the place....and that was after a lot of work on the trim pot....I feel more comfortable flying "free hand"...but it may be of help to some........
Chris........
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
The Eagle Tree Guardian works great, $65.00 US.

Nils
nja is offline Find More Posts by nja
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 AM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
I fly rc helicopters with 3 axis gyros and helicopters without them. Just the old style flybar. I have never used a gyro of any kind on my Autogyros. I find it an interesting idea though but If I were to try one I would make sure the Autogyro is airworthy without it first and then try the gyro after that. For me the thought of tossing a new AG into the air using gyros on it's maiden flight does not agree with me. If something goes wrong you have a longer list of possible causes of the crash.
TURBOOMNI is online now Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; Feb 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM.