HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,802 Posts
When we first started developing the telemetry system for the DX8, I was horrified at how close my models were flying to the edge and I had no idea. They all got updates immediately to make sure the power supplied to the radio and servos was adequate.

Looks like you just came to the same realization!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,183 Posts
Std aa cells are typically 1 C capability or less .
I redid my cell testing rig yesterday to reduce line losses to minimums and found two (2) amp tests still show at least on volt drop on ENELOOPS (very good AA cells). I actually made two test rigs which wil accept any AA cells - same results - the spring clips work well -no detectabel losses and the new wiring goes directly from spring clips - - beating the cells with a small mallet and turning em to make certain springs were in good contact, - produced no difference in voltage reading UNDER LOAD- - Original voltage losses were in the wiring and connections.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When we first started developing the telemetry system for the DX8, I was horrified at how close my models were flying to the edge and I had no idea. They all got updates immediately to make sure the power supplied to the radio and servos was adequate.

Andy
Wanna borrow an amp/volt meter ?
I gave away my big old meters with a 3x5 inch faces but I have some little stuf left --
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,802 Posts
Only if they come with a 40-sized Tipo in the box

Which will be two of my building projects again this winter, hopefully. I'm busy cleaning off a workbench that has 5-6 models on it in various states of disrepair or incomplete construction.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Andy is the telemetry in the DX8 the same in the DX7S? I'm in the market for a new radio but the 8 is a bit outside my price point at the moment.

Thanks!
LatinP is offline Find More Posts by LatinP
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,183 Posts
I will look around - I just cleaned the bench- (used a rake)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
Andy is the telemetry in the DX8 the same in the DX7S? I'm in the market for a new radio but the 8 is a bit outside my price point at the moment.

Thanks!
I think the DX7s does not support PowerBox, but otherwise they are identical.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
On the edge because of signal strength or voltage supply? And when the voltage goes down, doesn't it hurt the signal strength also?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,802 Posts
Voltage on the servo bus is what bothered me.

Voltage is regulated internally to both tx and rx for their functions. Digital radio just STOPS when the voltage gets too low. Check the datasheets.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Not really
Theyare still 1 C cells and unless you are using very low power consumption servos - they can easily fade on you
My original tests on high drain servos were a typical load for a large IMAC model The A123 (the real thing) are still ,easily the best choice.
for higher loads
My point was not that you'd changed your tune on Eneloops (I agree with your assessment they are only good for 1C loadings), but plenty of people criticised the wiring loom and spring battery holder first test - you vigorously defended them at the time, but now it turns out the wiring was a significant contributing factor to the result.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
My point was not that you'd changed your tune on Eneloops (I agree with your assessment they are only good for 1C loadings), but plenty of people criticised the wiring loom and spring battery holder first test - you vigorously defended them at the time, but now it turns out the wiring was a significant contributing factor to the result.
Yes -BUT it was the wiring n connnector not the spring connectors!
That fooled me -
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,492 Posts
My grandmother used to say "such things they have now"

Read this about "time-domain transmit beamforming"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...le+Feedfetcher
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Read this about "time-domain transmit beamforming"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...le+Feedfetcher
Interesting article... but it sounds like a "solution" that doesn't solve the problem. From what I understand it's only full-duplex in the same sense that a time-sharing mainframe is "multi-user"

But I'm sure I misunderstand it, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
crvnation
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Redacted Content.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Foam, foam on the range....
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Std aa cells are typically 1 C capability or less .
I redid my cell testing rig yesterday to reduce line losses to minimums and found two (2) amp tests still show at least on volt drop on ENELOOPS (very good AA cells). I actually made two test rigs which wil accept any AA cells - same results - the spring clips work well -no detectabel losses and the new wiring goes directly from spring clips - - beating the cells with a small mallet and turning em to make certain springs were in good contact, - produced no difference in voltage reading UNDER LOAD- - Original voltage losses were in the wiring and connections.
There must be something radically wrong with your technique, if you are measuring a one volt drop at two amps drawn from an Eneloop - there are results similar to those in the link below all over the flashlight enthusiast forums, which show a very much lower voltage drop.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Sanyo-Eneloops

Attached is another graph taken at various rates.

Cheers
didge is offline Find More Posts by didge