SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,305 Posts
Vtail COG

This is what I have on birds eyeview....got some with other opinion on the controller placement...I will try what will work but,I will try yours first and see.Thanks again !
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: cynr100
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2,305 Posts
vtail video

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
It requires a browser plug-in, but I recommend downloading the file anyway and play it locally. Hope you'll like it.
Yes, I saw it ....very nice and I really like the way it looks and flys very good too..very cool ! Thanks for sharing....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Yes, I saw it ....very nice and I really like the way it looks and flys very good too..very cool ! Thanks for sharing....
Thanks! That is why I think you don't have to change your planned controller position.
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:27 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
V-tail CoL & CoG

The strings are alchemy until someone produces a compelling case as to what it is supposed to represent and accomplish.

The orange dot in the attached pic is at the midpoint of the green line, which I suggest would be the center of lift for a spider frame with four level motors running at equal power/thrust levels. When you tilt the rear motors into that v-tail they will lose some net downward thrust effectiveness (since some of their total thrust is directed to the sides) and the center of lift will move forward, toward the purple dot.

Flow interaction between aft props (sucking from the same straw if you will) has the potential to further reduce their effectiveness and push the center of lift even farther forward.

Where you put the center of gravity is now up to you, and will depend on where you decide to put the rest of the heavy bits such as battery and cameras.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2,305 Posts
controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC911 View Post
Thanks! That is why I think you don't have to change your planned controller position.
My plan was to put it where that big round hole by the middle of the frame...not much of a big change really.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
619 Posts
I have been trying to fab a v tail vertical and havn't had much luck. Looking at the above thumbnails I see a simple solution to the V verticals. A model airplale aluminum landing gear. I don't know why I hadn't figured that out before.
I may try to build one again.
BTW whose picture is this? Is that Carbon Fiber or aluminum? What about the vibrations, are they dampened?
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, IL
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Its me again... unfortunately lol

Well thanks to you guys here I got my quad 450 up in the air .... but not for long lol - did not break it yet though Anyways, I cant figure out what to do with the adjustments and tried a few times - it seems like I cannot get it to hover at all and I am on the tx sticks like a mad man trying to keep it in the air lol.

I know its probably something with the settings (gains perhaps?) on the KK2.0? I am using the stock quad 450 settings. Is there a particular settings that anyone knows of that works well? Maybe its the settings on the 9x but which ones? Thanks!
momofx is offline Find More Posts by momofx
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
Well thanks to you guys here I got my quad 450 up in the air .... but not for long lol - did not break it yet though Anyways, I cant figure out what to do with the adjustments and tried a few times - it seems like I cannot get it to hover at all and I am on the tx sticks like a mad man trying to keep it in the air lol.

I know its probably something with the settings (gains perhaps?) on the KK2.0? I am using the stock quad 450 settings. Is there a particular settings that anyone knows of that works well? Maybe its the settings on the 9x but which ones? Thanks!
what are your P and I setting an the stick scaling settings?
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Well I got the LEDs on it I will post some video soon
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349661011.331646.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 144.3 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349661040.378300.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 175.3 KB
Description:
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post

What are your setting? your P and I

watch these
SK450 Quadcopter Part3 Testing and Tuning (11 min 29 sec)

or
Hobbyking's KK2: QUICK START TUNING GUIDE (4 min 9 sec)

If your banging your sticks around, usually either your TX has to much expo, or the Gains are to low.
What i did was set the P gain to 50, and turned the I gain to 0. bump the P up untill you get a fast oscillation, then back of down 5 points and retest.
once the oscillation calms down its good.

then bring your I gain up 10 points at a time, until its starts oscillating again, but with I gain its a slower oscillation. Once you get that, back it down 5 points and re test as you did with with the P gain.

Not sure what your stick scaling is, but 30 is a good starting point. To low and it well be uncontrollable, to much and it well feel very touchy and responsive.

Hope this helps
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 07, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, IL
Joined Sep 2012
106 Posts
Thanks eastcoast, I am going to closely watch those vids in a moment - my battery is low right now so its charging and its freezing cold outside right now - probably take it out tomorrow again.

Anyways, my P and I gains are the stock settings for the KK2.0 Quad X preset and the radio has the stock expo (Zero). Dual Rates are at 100% btw...
momofx is offline Find More Posts by momofx
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
shelterock
How low past 3v are your lipos? you can bring them back to life...But if they are puffed casue of the low voltage i would not.
Just charge them on a Nimh charge at the lowest charge rate. Mine(tritonEQ) is 0.1A. I had one at 2.8v before and it took 20 sec's to get it back up past 3v..that was over a year ago and its still going stong. But do at own risk! also use a lipo safe bag if you have one.With my esc's set at soft cut off, once i hit around the 3.5v it just dont have as much power. So im kinda puzzled how you manged to drain them to the point where there ruined?
But i do use a LVC alarm from ebay as well. one with the button on it that lets you adjust the lvc in the range of 2.7-3.7v i do belive!
they charge up to 12.6v but last about 30 sec of flight time. They never got low enough not to want to charge but simply have no punch left. 2 are just over a year and 1 is 8 months old, the other 6 months. If they have 20 charges on them each, I'd be surprised.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:10 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,573 Posts
I hear ya on the cool temps in the evening..i just lite the fire in my igloo

You may want to give yourself some expo on your TX for learning. Just enough to soften the right stick up a bit. I found when i was learning. Over controlling is bad and the quad always seems to want to get ahead of your stick movement, which leads to banging the sticks around. More then likely where you are learning that is the case.

Once you get her dialled in, take your time and learn how to hover. Don't be afraid to slightly let your fingers off the stick to see how it want to drift..so you can trim it. These boards are very stable.

Also use small controls on the stick at first. left/right and forward/away from yourself then keeping the back of the quad closest to you. It takes practice

You could also bump your stick scaling down 5 points to slow the quad down a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
they charge up to 12.6v but last about 30 sec of flight time. They never got low enough not to want to charge but simply have no punch left. 2 are just over a year and 1 is 8 months old, the other 6 months. If they have 20 charges on them each, I'd be surprised.
H
Ohhh ic. that sucks...i was under the impression they went below 3v etc...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2,305 Posts
Vtail on the air

....just got my VTAIL on the air...thanks for all the help guys !!!
....tuning is needed but so far I'm really happy on how it's flying.
This is just a temporary set-up...need to clean wires....

KK2.0-1.2 V * VTAIL 2ND INDOOR TEST FLIGHT (3 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CO2X2010; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: more....