HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:59 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,349 Posts
For a dead-simple experiment, you could simply try "shrouding" the supplies.

Put a cardboard box over them, with decent-sized holes cut in either side to allow air in, and out.

If you put them in an enclosed box with no holes, and therefore no air exchange, they'd overheat even with their fans running full-blast.

But simply containing the noise a bit might make it more livable.

You could also try adding a resistor to slow their fans, then ducting the air from a big, low-RPM fan into them. Still providing airflow, but with less high-pitched whine from little fans.

You *could* provide thick, heavy-gauge wire to the charger, if you wanted to move the noisy supplies further away. But for any decent output current, the wire will need to be quite large, to minimize the voltage drop through it. The gauge would depend on current and length, but you might need 8AWG or similar.

Someone suggested using jumper cables as inexpensive sources for *thick* wire, if you need to make an extension between a PS and charger. Some jumper cables are really thick, 6AWG, 4AWG, etc.

Or look into options for quieter/silent supplies.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 01:12 PM
Winnipeg Canada EH
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Luckily for me i have all these other strange sounds to contend with when my 3 PSU's are running.

Moxley's 3Dof Sim Rig (7 min 29 sec)
TrU InTeGrA is offline Find More Posts by TrU InTeGrA
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Aug 2002
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrU InTeGrA View Post
Luckily for me i have all these other strange sounds to contend with when my 3 PSU's are running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dG...ature=youtu.be
That build is amazing. What talent !!! Impressive !
wuudogg is online now Find More Posts by wuudogg
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:47 PM
Winnipeg Canada EH
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuudogg View Post
That build is amazing. What talent !!! Impressive !

Thanks man,

And if anyone's curious, I found out how to turn on and turn off Multiple Supplies with a Single Emergency Switch, More switch "blocks" can be added to these style switches and do what ever you want, NO or NC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MBL22-ATI-Re...item338c4a1722
TrU InTeGrA is offline Find More Posts by TrU InTeGrA
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
18 Posts
So here's my potential plan for running 2 of the HP PSs in series:

1. Float the DC for one of the PS
2. Connect the pins to turn on the PS
3. Connect the 2 PS's in series using spade connectors

Is this basically all I need to get a safe functional 24 volt PS?

I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but my dad's an electrician so I will recruit his help. I'm sure he'll be able to decipher all of this much better than I can.

P.S. Can someone point me to the exact model # / version # of the HP power supplies that I need to purchase? It seems there are a couple different versions floating around and I want to buy the one that everyone is the most familiar with.

Thanks.
craigrs84 is offline Find More Posts by craigrs84