SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I've found that mineral spirits do a clean job of getting off those pesky stickers and that awful glue---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,709 Posts
Season's Gripings

Bad enough that they start playing Christmas tunes in the stores at Halloween... but this is going too far!
My wife works retail... after she did the midnite to 9am shift (!) on Black Friday, the corporate HR chief came around the stores (probably handing out bonuses to the managers), and personally delivered a nice card (empty) to each of the associates. Harumph.

Now the wife just got called to do 2 shifts just before Christmas, closing at 2am (!).

Who in their right mind shops for women's cloths at 2am????!!
And why encourage them????
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
You know Pat I was getting something at the grocery store several Thanksgivings ago. The older woman in line behind me was kind enough to explain that the girl running the register “had” to work Thanksgiving Day because she was “poor”, but at least it was an opportunity for her to get some overtime. After that thoughtful explanation and with a pit now in my stomach I decided I will NEVER purchase a thing on Thanksgiving or Christmas again. Sorry but if we forgot it we will do without, people need to be with their families on the holidays after all that’s who they are there working for in the first place.

Rant over; I wish you and the Misses happy holidays.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
people need to be with their families on the holidays .
That's how things should be.

Except corporate greed seems to get in the way---.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
That's how things should be.

Except corporate greed seems to get in the way---.
In stores selling non-esentials at all hours,could corporate greed even be hinted at ,if not for STUPID consumers.
No customers during overnight hours (maybe 10 PM -6 AM ) Shifts would be eliminated.
Of course then "corp. greed" would be cursed in that case also.Why? For not considering the poor worker in the name of profit.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
Here is the latest link to the add. Its starting to PXXXX me off!
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/pts/3448129693.html
Ah the fenders are gone and hopefully is my add admirer. add is closed
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
You know Pat I was getting something at the grocery store several Thanksgivings ago. The older woman in line behind me was kind enough to explain that the girl running the register “had” to work Thanksgiving Day because she was “poor”, but at least it was an opportunity for her to get some overtime. After that thoughtful explanation and with a pit now in my stomach I decided I will NEVER purchase a thing on Thanksgiving or Christmas again. Sorry but if we forgot it we will do without, people need to be with their families on the holidays after all that’s who they are there working for in the first place.

Rant over; I wish you and the Misses happy holidays.
We buy all our food for thanksgiving in advance, the local supermarkets get too depleted in the final week before when all the last minute shoppers rush in to buy theirs. We get enough for the holiday season, hey that's what the chest freezer is for, right?

We don't go into a brick and mortar store for Christmas shopping after Halloween. Why? We did all our shopping early. Personally I hate being in a crowded store, and I hate shopping in stores in general. I'll research what I want before hand and find out who has it at the best price with reasonable customer service. Go in get my item(s) and split ASAP.

The only time I'll linger in the store is if I can cause trouble. Like when I was in Bes* B** and told a customer right in front of a store representative that there was no difference between a plain antenna and a "Digital" antenna. An antenna is an an antenna is an antenna! And there is no such thing as digital radio waves. Only analog radio waves. The B B person went speechless and split. :-)

Merry Christmas to one and all!
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apismelifera View Post
The only time I'll linger in the store is if I can cause trouble. Like when I was in Bes* B** and told a customer right in front of a store representative that there was no difference between a plain antenna and a "Digital" antenna. An antenna is an an antenna is an antenna! And there is no such thing as digital radio waves. Only analog radio waves. The B B person went speechless and split. :-)
Hee hee---, like when you're in the store buying a new stereo or TV, and they try selling you a $99 cable, when a $5 cable will do just as well---?

BTW, I recently went through the HD antenna thing too, didn't buy one---.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Hee hee---, like when you're in the store buying a new stereo or TV, and they try selling you a $99 cable, when a $5 cable will do just as well---?

BTW, I recently went through the HD antenna thing too, didn't buy one---.
There was a joke post going around about things to do for entertainment at Wally's. I like going into a dressing room for a few minutes and then start yelling loudly, "Hey, there's no toilet paper in here."
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,709 Posts
My wife would not see the humor... She has seen it for real!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
My wife would not see the humor... She has seen it for real!
Hoo boy---. That "for real" stuff makes me SO happy I don't have to deal with the public or work anymore---.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Do you know what an "Atomic Clock" is? They're just normal quartz crystal clocks with a radio receiver. Mine sets it self every night, it picks up the radio signal from the US standard Cesium clock in Colorado. The work "Atomic" is just marketing hype.

Try:

http://time.gov/widget.html

So I went into the local Wally World to get myself an Atomic Clock. I found some on the shelf. I was standing there holding one reading the back of the package when one of the store clerks came over and asked me if I need any help. Sure, are these the Plutonium Atomic Clocks or the Uranium Atomic Clocks? Everybody knows that the plutonium ones are more accurate.

The guy just looks at me for a second then he grabs one of the clocks and now he's looking at the box trying to figure it out. He looked at each of the different ones there trying to figure it out. Finally he says, I'm going to go ask my supervisor, and disappears.

Maybe next time I go I should bring my Geiger Counter?

I still have the clock.

It would seem that the days of going into a store and finding a knowledgeable person to help you are gone...
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Do you really think that somebody working at Sprawlmart would be a MERSA candidate---?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
In my best Marvin the Martian voice, I would have asked if the clocks were Illudium Q-36 powered. They would make great timers for the explosive space modulator.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
just in case anyone may have forgotten..........
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail