SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You can't reverse the motor direction with any transmitter that I know of. You can reverse the motor direction with SOME ESC's (like Hacker and I sure there are others). But, generally, you have to swap two wires (as suggested by wilem). I hope that works out for you. BTW, you might want to start using 3.5mm hardware so you can swap motors around in different planes.
AJ
OK, thanks AJ. I have no idea what I'd use the 3.5mm connectors for though. I thought we were just cutting, stripping, soldering and taping the wires here. :-)
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
OK, thanks AJ. I have no idea what I'd use the 3.5mm connectors for though. I thought we were just cutting, stripping, soldering and taping the wires here. :-)
My ARF Bixler motor came with 3.5 mm pins on it. If I'd had female 3.5 mm at the time I wouldn't have soldered the motor to the ESC.

Surprise, first time connecting it was the right way. I have asked before, statistically, what are the odds of getting it right first time? First two motors I ever connected needed changing, next 3 were OK first time.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
My ARF Bixler motor came with 3.5 mm pins on it. If I'd had female 3.5 mm at the time I wouldn't have soldered the motor to the ESC.

Surprise, first time connecting it was the right way. I have asked before, statistically, what are the odds of getting it right first time? First two motors I ever connected needed changing, next 3 were OK first time.
50/50. It's not like you need to get all 3 wires correctly connected. It takes any 2 wires to be correct or backwards.

Maybe the mathematicians have a better way of calculating the odds but to me it is one way or the other.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
50/50. It's not like you need to get all 3 wires correctly connected. It takes any 2 wires to be correct or backwards.

Maybe the mathematicians have a better way of calculating the odds but to me it is one way or the other.
Your math is perfect. Now, go teach GENE.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Your math is perfect. Now, go teach GENE.
AJ
I'm afraid he is beyond teaching. You know the saying about horses and water.

It is also a know fact the traveling up and down the East coast between NJ and Florida will slowly destroy the brain cells. Or is that a result of drinking too much beer?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
You can't reverse the motor direction with any transmitter that I know of. You can reverse the motor direction with SOME ESC's (like Hacker and I sure there are others). But, generally, you have to swap two wires (as suggested by wilem). I hope that works out for you. BTW, you might want to start using 3.5mm hardware so you can swap motors around in different planes.
AJ
What i meant to say was, most of if not all, esc's can be programmed,via the radio.
You know the drill,
1.plug esc to bat
2.turn on trans mitter with throttle stick on full throttle.
3. Follow steps of a esc you have the instructions for, and program it.

What did i say wrong???
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't think you can reverse the motor direction via the radio programming (I just got a DX7 from rcrick in Classifieds!).

I guess I'll have to cut/swap the motor wiring then and just use a 'normal' prop on the plane from now on.
Sorry if i was not clear the first time.
Most esc's will come with programming instuctions, that if done right, will allow you to program your esc, VIA the radio.
GOT it every one!!!!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Read your posts.
AJ
I think YOU know what i meant, why you picking on ME.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
All esc's i have owned, was able to be programmed via the radio.
I guess i buy the right esc's {for me any way} where i don't have to swap wires, they have all come with progrtamming insrtucttions.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
All esc's i have owned, was able to be programmed via the radio.
I guess i buy the right esc's {for me any way} where i don't have to swap wires, they have all come with progrtamming insrtucttions.
what type ESCs do you buy..? all i use on the cheap stuff like these planes is turnigy..what type radio do you use?

so are you simply using the radio to access the ESCs menu, or is your radio unique that it has access to your ESCs features without doing the morse code?
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
1. You should be able to reverse motor direction through the esc if you know how to program it through the radio, or your computer{don't know what kind of radio you got} . This is why i never solder my esc directly to the motor, life is a bit easier when you don't.
Try and look for programing directions for your esc, if you can't find them, their are a few people here that can help you.
Hope this info is SOME use to you.
Quote:
2. All esc's i have owned, was able to be programmed via the radio.
No. I am not picking on you. I did not want that guy to spend any length of time on something that is not possible.
1. Not possible. You cannot program motor direction with a radio.
2. Mine, too.
AJ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
duplicate
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
By using them, you can swap motors around in your planes without having to solder wires. If you only have one plane, then you probably wouldn't use them.
AJ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
You should be able to reverse motor direction through the esc if you know how to program it through the radio, or your computer{don't know what kind of radio you got} . This is why i never solder my esc directly to the motor, life is a bit easier when you don't.
Try and look for programing directions for your esc, if you can't find them, their are a few people here that can help you.
Hope this info is SOME use to you.
Quote:
Don't think he can do what in the radio?
Quote:
I think YOU know what i meant, why you picking on ME.
In the first quote, you answered his question (incorrectly as we know now).
In the second quote, I guess you forgot that you already answered his question.
In the third quote, No. I have no idea what you meant. It just sort of tickled me that you didn't remember your answer.
AJ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
In the first quote, you answered his question (incorrectly as we know now).
In the second quote, I guess you forgot that you already answered his question.
In the third quote, No. I have no idea what you meant. It just sort of tickled me that you didn't remember your answer.
AJ

OK, now I'm confused. All I have to do is plug the battery into the ESC with the throttle at 100%?

I have a second issue, but not directly related to Sky Surfer. Maybe you can just PM me the answer. The DX7 radio and AR6100E receiver I just got -- I can bind them with the bind plug in the BAT slot of the RX, and turn on the TX with the bind button pushed in. But if I disconnect the ESC battery or turn off the TX, then the bind is lost and I have to do it again. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using the Model 1 program, which is what comes up when you turn on the TX, so shouldn't it already 'know' the receiver it was bound to?

Thanks!
Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb