HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Crash and Burn
Southern NJ
Joined Feb 2007
64 Posts
Howdy Everyone.

I have been flying Foamies for last 5 years. For quite some time now I just got tired of burning holes in the sky. There are some You Tube videos on My YT Page.

I have been itching to try TD. I also need a propose as I can't just sit there and float around...... I start getting antsy. I picked up a Gentle lady and another one like it, but with a power pod. I also made an Up-Start, High start, Drill winch, and Full Size winch. Also A Fling DLG was in the mix till it hit a Pole. Everyone in the club has hit this Witness pole. I traded one of my foam cnc machines to a buddy for a Radian Pro he didn't like.

Most of the guys at the field are older and cut thier teeth on gliders with high starts and big cam motors with huge nicad packs. Us young folk got them oldies into lipos and brush-less motors. They say I am nuts for going back to high starts with sub 5 min flights and lots of walking. I like a challenge so for this season I will be flying nothing but sailplanes........powered and non-powered. I have two ALES Cams to keep me honest.

I convinced/challenged another buddy to join LFS and SSP with me and I am working on the elders.....
I have on order A ELF(dlg) and a lightspeed III (dlg) also a Crimson-C 2meter glider is on it's way.

Today, I tried like hell to hit some spot landings with the Gentle Lady off the High Start 10-12mph winds till I hit a Container Box thats in the middle of the field. It's harder than I thought without flaps and or crow. I got the 2-5min flights done with the Radian Pro w/ales. 6:16 and 6:28. The longest TD I have had so Far. I was Shooting landings and hit some sink and ended thrashing the Radian Pro against the baseball field backstop fence. It was not a pretty sight but, the Radian held up fairly well for going through the foam grater. Now I'm off to unload the Plane Hauler A "77 VW Bus" and fix some Planes.

Cheers
E-T
Evil-Tunes is offline Find More Posts by Evil-Tunes
Last edited by Evil-Tunes; May 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
Sounds like you're off to an interesting start. Congrats on the two 5 minute flights. Landings can be interesting when you don't have flaps or spoilers. Once you learn the individual plane's habits it will get a lot easier.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old May 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
I hit two 5-minute flights yesterday with my Radian. Winds were very variable 8-12mph so I had to pick my spots to launch when the wind wasn't blowing my hat off. I need to go back over my longer TD flights that had a GPS onboard because I think I have one 15 minute flight. No precision landings yet. I can reliably return the plane to the flying field, but putting it down where I want eludes me. Just need to practice a LOT more landings.
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Old May 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Crash and Burn
Southern NJ
Joined Feb 2007
64 Posts
Nice flying today big puffy clouds and low wind. Scored a few good flights. 14:35m was the best and a few 10:00+ ones with a 11:30 with spot of 7' 6"
Now the wind is picking up and will try again tomarrow.

Cheers
E-T
Last edited by Evil-Tunes; May 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Okay I'm still trying to find the perfect day to do the 1k and return.. I had several missed attempts last year I'm hoping to get it done soon..
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old May 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,164 Posts
I need to bring people out with me when I go out flying for fun. Or at least put the logger in. I went out Monday to fly my Supra to get better aquanted with it. First launch was just for tweaking trims. Second launch was into windy conditions caused by very strong thermals. An hour later I decided to land to check the batteries!! If I would have gone out trying to do that...

Cory
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old May 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Crash and Burn
Southern NJ
Joined Feb 2007
64 Posts
Can't Wait for a good sunny day. I just got my new DLG from RCBuilder A LightSpeed III
This thing just floats around without thermals.
First Flights LightSpeed III DLG (0 min 58 sec)

Cheers
E-T
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:07 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
I know that this is a sportsman program, but if any of you would like to give contest flying a try at a great regional event, our club, the Long Island Silent Flyers, www.lisf.org , Syosset, Long Island, NY is hosting the Eastern Soaring League, www.flyesl.org , on June 23 and 24.

There are Expert, Sportsman and Novice groups flying.

We are up to 29 pilots and I don't expect it to stop there. A lot of people hold off to see what their personal schedule will be. 3 pilots registered in the last two days. So we usually get a burst around now.

For you Novice pilots, people who have never flown a contest, but who are competent in the air, you can fly for FREE. And if you are not talented with the winch, we are happy to launch the glider for you. In fact some of the experts and sportsman have someone else handle the winch, so there is nothing to be shy about.

We have 9 Sportsman class pilots 9 registered so far, so you will have a nice group to fly with in Sportsman class.

Is your plane good enough? Sure!

In Expert you see mostly moldies and bagged wing gliders.

In Sportsman and Novice you also see plenty of woodies and even foamies. I have seen some very nice flights with Easy Gliders, Bird of Time, Magics, Merlins, Sunbirds and Bubble Dancers are common too. I started my ESL flying with a 2M Spirit woody and a 2M Sagitta 600 woody, flying in sportsman class. In fact I flew in the ESL for two years on wood planes. Had a great time!

Registration -
http://www.flyesl.com/Contest.aspx?contestid=34

RCGroups discussion link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658968

Come fly with us!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
UPDATE: Due to health issues with my wife and now myself I'm stepping down from the SSP. Joe (Thermaler) the vice-president will now be taking over the program as president. I had a blast starting the program with Joe and everyone here and I hope that it will continue to grow. If you have any questions about where to send forms contact Joe with a PM and he will help you out. He's a great guy and a great friend and I can't think of anyone that I would rather see take this forward. It may take him a bit to get things like e-mails set up so bear with him. I plan to leave all the old ones in place for a short time to help him out. If you send me an e-mail and don't hear from me PM Joe please. Thanks for supporting the program guys. I'll be checking in so you better not start slacking!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,574 Posts
So sorry to hear you and your wife are both unwell. Hope u get better (and soon too.) We want you involved, Thanks for the fabulous effort you put into this program.
Stay in touch.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:28 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Dear Steve

I am sorry about those news, and I hope you two will get better soon. Again I wanted to thank you for your efforts and spirit, bringing something new to the community and to me.

And indeed I had been slacking but the weather really kept me away.

Please stay in touch, keep flying and keep smiling that is the best medicine

my best wishes for you and your wife

regards

Edwin
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Well Guys, by now you know that Steve is taking a time out to deal with life and that I am going to be at the stick.
I myself have been busy with way too much work.
I am just now starting to go through all the details that Steve took care of, boy do I have some catching up to do!
Anyway, until I figure out how to change the address for the SSP on the web site PLEASE send your request for and completed forms to me at:

Joe Hayes
808 West Front St #39
Buchanan, Mi. 49107

I myself got to do a little flying today. I got my second 10 minute, a short ladder and a 45 minute and my last two landings for my Bronze but alas the only witnesses were the few Turkey Vultures that ventured by.
So . . . let's keep practicing guys.

Thank You,
Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
So who is doing what today?
I have dusted off my Falcon 880 and will be working on some ladders.

Joe
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
557 Posts
Joe,

Was great weather here in the Grand Rapids area. Hope you had the same.
I had a lot of family stuff going on today but got out a bit around 2:00 with the DLG. First toss was good for 8 minutes.

I'm disappointed with my lack of SSP progress this summer, but usually I don't bring the forms for lack of witnesses.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
Joe,

Was great weather here in the Grand Rapids area. Hope you had the same.
I had a lot of family stuff going on today but got out a bit around 2:00 with the DLG. First toss was good for 8 minutes.

I'm disappointed with my lack of SSP progress this summer, but usually I don't bring the forms for lack of witnesses.

Tim
Hey Tim,
I have the witness problem myself but the form always comes with me.
I won't say what I practiced and accomplished today other than I had 5 hours of good flying time in before the batteries said time to go home.
It felt good flying the trusty ol' Falcon again. The 20 plus years of flying her came back on the third flight and well . . the Falcon and I always got along well aftert the first mishap that got her into my hands.
Now if I just had a wintness I could have finished my bronze today.

Keep it going guys, it is a way to improve your skills

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:07 AM.