Old May 22, 2015, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Help!
Lockheed U2 Spy plane building project

Hello everybody, greetings from Colombia. I have decided to build the famous Lockheed U-2 Spyplane for ducted fan. I got the plans of the 1/8 scale model designed by the late Jack Lynn Bale. It is all balsa and ply and relatively easy to build. I need lots of advice on what electric ducted fan unit I can use for my model. It has 117 inches wingspan. I have never built a ducted fan model before so I need lots of help and advice. I fly near Bogotá at an elevation of 8.250 feet. I know electrics don't lose any power but the plane has to fly faster for lift. Thanks for your advice and help.

EDUARDO
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,980 Posts
EDUARDO , as for the building part of your project, check out the Scratch build forum--
http://www.rcgroups.com/scratchbuilt-edfs-686/ several guys have done this one..

As far as elevation goes, can't help you out there-- I'm at 1400 ft.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 22, 2015, 06:17 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
EDUARDO , as for the building part of your project, check out the Scratch build forum--
http://www.rcgroups.com/scratchbuilt-edfs-686/ several guys have done this one..

As far as elevation goes, can't help you out there-- I'm at 1400 ft.
Thanks!! Yes elevation is there. However, I want to know if I need a different fan or motor etc. Your help is appreciated very much.

EDUARDO
Old May 22, 2015, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,980 Posts
Quote:
I got the plans of the 1/8 scale model designed by the late Jack Lynn Bale.
A good start -- but considering your elevation, I' d post this in the Large EDF Jets forum--- http://www.rcgroups.com/large-edf-jets-858/
A lot of them have flown/lived in the western US --lots of mountains..

That said- you will need a bit more info for help- and some things may/will change-

I should think finding the right fan would be on top of the list . Basics would be --est AUW --with all components . Wing area and wing loading-- and thrust to weight ratio.
Once you narrow that down some-- final size ill be based on what that fan needs for intake and exhaust areas.

Scratch building is not for the faint of heart. You ill have a lot of time and money invested in this protect.. so do the proper research needed.
Cooler
Old May 22, 2015, 08:51 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
A good start -- but considering your elevation, I' d post this in the Large EDF Jets forum--- http://www.rcgroups.com/large-edf-jets-858/
A lot of them have flown/lived in the western US --lots of mountains..

That said- you will need a bit more info for help- and some things may/will change-

I should think finding the right fan would be on top of the list . Basics would be --est AUW --with all components . Wing area and wing loading-- and thrust to weight ratio.
Once you narrow that down some-- final size ill be based on what that fan needs for intake and exhaust areas.

Scratch building is not for the faint of heart. You ill have a lot of time and money invested in this protect.. so do the proper research needed.
Cooler
Thank you very much. Yes, this being my first ducted fan project after more than 50 years of modelling, I'll do it very well indeed. Your suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again

EDUARDO
Old May 22, 2015, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,980 Posts
I hope that was helpful --I didn't start in RC until 1984.. I was always taken by the jets from Yellow --even back in the day .. So to satisfy my longing-- and B-4 Charles retires--I bought 3 of there kits.. , Starfire- F-18 single and the F-16-- or what they call the Mako..
I just hope I live long enough to finish them.....