New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by NovaBandit
Joined Aug 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
APM 2.6 w/ UBlox GPS Compass Problems

I just received an APM 2.6 with the ublox gps/compass module for my quad. I've done all the calibrations, and the quad flies great in stabilize mode.

However, when I put it in loiter, it goes crazy. I believe the compass is the issue.

When I have the APM connected to MissionPlanner, I can see the realtime readouts of the sensors. All look good. The gyros are spot on, the GPS is in a solid 3d fix with 7 satellites in view.

However, the compass is jumping around. Say I have the quad pointed north. It may look to be close in mission planner. But, as I rotate from north to west, it will follow for a second or two, then jump all over, sometimes 120-180 degrees off. Thinking I might be getting interference from something on the quad, I mounted the GPS/Compass module as high above the APM and body of the quad as the wires would allow. I still have the same issue.

I've done every "compass calibration dance" I could find on youtube. It doesn't seem to matter. My next step is to do a compass calibration in my front yard with a laptop and a 25' USB cable so that I'm nowhere near ANY magnetic source... but it seems to me that if it were just a calibration issue, it would be consistently off, not jumping around like I see.

Do I have a bad compass module, or is this something I can correct with programming/calibration?
NovaBandit is offline Find More Posts by NovaBandit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by trickedout
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Feb 2013
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I just received an APM 2.6 with the ublox gps/compass module for my quad. I've done all the calibrations, and the quad flies great in stabilize mode.

However, when I put it in loiter, it goes crazy. I believe the compass is the issue.

When I have the APM connected to MissionPlanner, I can see the realtime readouts of the sensors. All look good. The gyros are spot on, the GPS is in a solid 3d fix with 7 satellites in view.

However, the compass is jumping around. Say I have the quad pointed north. It may look to be close in mission planner. But, as I rotate from north to west, it will follow for a second or two, then jump all over, sometimes 120-180 degrees off. Thinking I might be getting interference from something on the quad, I mounted the GPS/Compass module as high above the APM and body of the quad as the wires would allow. I still have the same issue.

I've done every "compass calibration dance" I could find on youtube. It doesn't seem to matter. My next step is to do a compass calibration in my front yard with a laptop and a 25' USB cable so that I'm nowhere near ANY magnetic source... but it seems to me that if it were just a calibration issue, it would be consistently off, not jumping around like I see.

Do I have a bad compass module, or is this something I can correct with programming/calibration?
Have you tried looking up your Mag declination on the website mission planner links for you, also there is a setting you should turn off, I will remember when I look at home..
trickedout is offline Find More Posts by trickedout
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by NovaBandit
Joined Aug 2010
2 Posts
I just got a call back from 3DRobotics.

Apparently, with the new ublox gps/compass module they ship now with the 2.6, the GPS is mounted upside down on the board.

You need to set the rotation to "Roll 180".

Did that, recalibrated and now I can do a perfect hands off loiter!

I wish this had been in the documentation somewhere.
NovaBandit is offline Find More Posts by NovaBandit
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by fredle
Canada, ON, Oshawa
Joined Nov 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I just got a call back from 3DRobotics.

Apparently, with the new ublox gps/compass module they ship now with the 2.6, the GPS is mounted upside down on the board.

You need to set the rotation to "Roll 180".

Did that, recalibrated and now I can do a perfect hands off loiter!

I wish this had been in the documentation somewhere.
Interesting input. I received my rtf 3dr quad the first week of August and Mission Planner says select "Roll 180 for the new 3DR GPS/Mag"

Can someone confirm that is should be selected as in the attached image?

Also with the quad at rest and plugged into mission planner is shows in Flight Data that Yaw is about 307 degrees (depending on orientation). Is this an issue that I should be concerned about?
fredle is offline Find More Posts by fredle
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by coconoxtle
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
solution

you just plug in your gps port, i was having the same problem, im using the apm 2.6 plus ublox gps+compass, !!do not connect the mag port!!.

By just connecting your gps port, you'll also get the compass working, and get rid of that crazy behaviour
coconoxtle is offline Find More Posts by coconoxtle
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by coconoxtle
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
an excuse for my earlier post

just after my post i wanted to calibrate compass, but couldnt, and it is a mandatory hardware, so needed to keep doing research, here is a list of the hardware settings i used that were causing problems,

faulty setting
APM 2.6
3dr Ublox gps + compass
3dr optical flow
xl sonar
3dr power module

lucky setting
APM 2.6
3dr Ublox gps + compass

since is my first apm setup, i decided to go easier from faulty to lucky, i had all extra sensors and the power module activated in the mission planner settings and properly connected as the manuals suggest, i dont know which one of the sensors or if the power module is responsible for the crazy unstable behaviour, but after doing so, compass and accelerometer were perfectly calibrated from start, note that by not using the 3dr power module you will be forced to feed energy to the board with an esc

afterwards i could fly for about 20 secs, thats when i got so excited i couldn't react to opperating it well and crashed it, haha, but did finally make it hover

also after finally making it stable you will be able to calibrate mag with no problem

this is how i solved it temporarily, but im still interested on making use of the 3dr power module and other sensors i got for it
coconoxtle is offline Find More Posts by coconoxtle
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by oophus
Joined Jun 2013
40 Posts
I cant get the command CompassMot to work. There is no registration on the current changing when reving up the motors. I'm using the power module, and I've turned that on within the mission planner. Still no current, thus I get the "error" message saying somehting like "you sure you gave it enough throttle" or something.

Anyone knows what I should do? I've followed the Compassmot tutorial here:
AC3.0 CompassMot Setup (4 min 4 sec)
oophus is offline Find More Posts by oophus
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by kyawsoew
Myanmar, Yangon Division, Yangon
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
i have some problems with compass calibration with external module. the message show "bad compass health" and i cannot calibrate the compass. although the heading (Azimuth bearing) is moving while i rotate the APM board orientation. please see the image for your information and hope to see some helps!
kyawsoew is offline Find More Posts by kyawsoew
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by nadami28
United States, KY, Alexandria
Joined Jun 2012
156 Posts
I have tried everything I know to do and I can't get it working either! I read somewhere that if you only plug in one of the cables into the APM board...anyone have experience with that working?
nadami28 is offline Find More Posts by nadami28
Old Feb 12, 2015, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by Oldgazer
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
3,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadami28 View Post
I have tried everything I know to do and I can't get it working either! I read somewhere that if you only plug in one of the cables into the APM board...anyone have experience with that working?
You must plug in both cables. The larger cable carries power and GPS data. The 2 wire cable carries compass data...

What error(s) are you getting?
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Feb 12, 2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by PatR
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
2,013 Posts
Good thread.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Old Feb 14, 2015, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
156 Posts
It says not enough Data points.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
156 Posts
I do everything just like it says on all the directions/youtube vids. Just not sure what more to do?

Can I reset the whole thing and just start over?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by taz007
United Kingdom, Higham
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
I Have the same sort of problem with my APM 2.6, With the GPS plugged in and the quad sitting next to me I get 7-9 sats but on mission planner with the APM connected to the PC the quad is flying around about 10-15 meters away from me. even when I arm the apm it just keeps moving around my screen,
Apm problem NEED HELP PLEASE... (4 min 43 sec)
taz007 is offline Find More Posts by taz007
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by neilmc
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Aug 2014
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz007 View Post
I Have the same sort of problem with my APM 2.6, With the GPS plugged in and the quad sitting next to me I get 7-9 sats but on mission planner with the APM connected to the PC the quad is flying around about 10-15 meters away from me. even when I arm the apm it just keeps moving around my screen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx0m...ature=youtu.be
That's fairly normal for an indoor GPS lock. Mine does the same. If you could connect a laptop to it outside with a GPS lock, you should see it stay put.

In APM firmware 3.2 (3.2.1 is now out but I haven't tried it yet) you can arm in Loiter mode, but it will be more strict on the prearm safety checks. With an indoor GPS lock and the flight mode on Loiter, it will probably fail to arm and give you a "low HDOP" warning.
neilmc is online now Find More Posts by neilmc